XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Mystery Coolant Leak

Old 10-06-2016, 09:47 AM
Received 98 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Mystery Coolant Leak

My 2009 XKR started dripping coolant on the floor, but I can't locate the source. The posted pictures show the location from the top of the engine compartment where it appears to be coming from, due to the moist panel thats its dripping from in the underneath photo. Anyone have a clue?
Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Mystery Coolant Leak-leak-top.jpg   Mystery Coolant Leak-leak-bottom.jpg   Mystery Coolant Leak-leak-bottom2.jpg  
Old 10-06-2016, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

The outlet at the bottom of the coolant overflow bottle is prone to cracking where the nipple emerges from the bottle. It is close enough that it could be the issue. Definitely deserves an inspection. If that breaks off while driving all your coolant will be pumped out in an matter of seconds.

The following users liked this post:
tberg (10-06-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

The overflow coolant tank, as previously mentioned, is most likely the culprit. And as happened to me several weeks ago, I went from having a full "tank" to empty in a matter of seconds. Luckily, I wasn't on the freeway and could pull over and stop almost immediately.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:44 PM

Thanks. I just checked and it appears to be fine. Every place you can look down into the engine compartment appears bone dry and there's no leakage in the footwells of the car. Is there a connection somewhere behind the center console? That seems to be the approximate area below the car where the wet shield is.

Attached Thumbnails Mystery Coolant Leak-tank.jpg   Mystery Coolant Leak-leak-bottom2.jpg  
Old 10-06-2016, 05:01 PM
Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

As nothing jumps out at you, I would suggest pressure testing the system. By so doing, the source of the leak may become more evident. Is there a strong coolant door as well?

Old 10-06-2016, 06:47 PM

Thanks. Other than pulling it in and out of the garage, I haven't driven the car since I noticed the leak, so I haven't really noticed any odors. I've never done a pressure test, so I'll look into that. Thanks everyone!

Old 10-06-2016, 06:59 PM
Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Any reputable radiator business can pressure test the system. its a pretty cheap test. If you are concerned about driving the car any distance, you can purchase a radiator/coolant pressure tester and do it yourself. Best of luck.

shemp (10-07-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 09:45 PM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

An alternative/addition to a pressure test is to insert infared-sensitive dye into the coolant. You don't need much. Then purchase a cheap infared light and look over the system. Often coolant leaks are almost invisible, but infared light will illustrate them.

Stuart S (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 12:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by Rey
An alternative/addition to a pressure test is to insert infared-sensitive dye into the coolant. You don't need much. Then purchase a cheap infared light and look over the system. Often coolant leaks are almost invisible, but infared light will illustrate them.
Infrared would be hard to detect on a hot engine, I think you meant ultraviolet dye.

Stuart S (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 09:00 AM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Correction. I meant UV dye. Thanks.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:00 AM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Just buy a rad pressure tester! Mine's a Stant...................
If you have owned Jaguars, motorhomes, boats you gotta have tools, lots!!!
eg. code readers, exhaust analyzer, rad/cap pressure tester, floor jacks, ramps, volt meters, battery load tester, digital camera, big hammers, etc.........

Love tools and Harbor Freight; only a mile away!

Good luck...........and cheers

Adrian

Old 10-09-2016, 04:18 PM

Thanks all. I have lots of tools, including a 4-post lift to get under the car, but this leak is coming from somewhere deep within. I drove the car to get the pressure up and ran it on the lift, but all I see is the dripping from the bottom of the heat panel next to the exhaust. There's no evidence of moisture in any of the gaps looking down into the engine bay, and I can't see the source looking up. I have a (bad) feeling that it might be a leak near the heater core, which mean the dash will need to be removed. I'm going to Huntington Jaguar to get their diagnosis on Tuesday morning.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Is this leak antifreeze? Is it just from the AC drain . Smell it and see if it is coolant. Once you determine if it is coolant then I would do the pressure test on the system

Old 10-10-2016, 05:51 PM

Yeah, its definitely coolant.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Looks like it's running down the trans tunnel underneath?

The 4.2 has a valley hose under the super charger. The most likely place it show up is a trickle down the trans tunnel and invisible from the top.
The only way to repair it is to replace it and that requires the removal of the SC.
This is not an uncommon failure in the X350 SC vehicles but having said that, the pics from the top appear too far removed and we are getting way ahead of ourselves.
I don't know if you can wiggle a bore scope in there to see it.

Personally, I'd pressure test as fstbmw1 suggests. I doubt it's the heater core as you would almost certainly smell coolant in the cabin and/or the cabin floor would be wet.

I think the clips that hold the insulation to the firewall are hard to see and may allow the firewall insulation to push out just enough to hide a leak at connections but as I mentioned, you'd likely smell the coolant in the car.

If your overflow tank is full or nearly full and you've yet to add coolant, be patient with the pressure test and consider adding the dye.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:30 AM

Thanks Sean...that seems to be the culprit. Apparently not a simple hose replacement and be on your way. Just got back from the Huntington Jaguar... $2400 and a full day in the shop.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member

sorry to hear that. Well even for a DIY like me, this is just an ugly job. All for a lousy $10 hose too. And the sad thing is, it's not a question of if the hose will fail. It's when. From threads I've read, about 11 hours of labor if it's your first go around.

I assume you're going to let the shop handle it, but this is an interesting read. There is a link embedded in the thread with step by step instructions and pics by a certified tech.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...l-pics-109276/

One of many threads. X350 forum has several as well.

You should consider doing the following while the SC is off:

From member "Datsports", "defiantly change the valley coolant pipe (sw - this is what's leaking on your car) and SC oil when your in there . a lot of people change the two knock sensors as well but i don't think thats a must ! check the sc impeller coatings and bearing function as well , also change the brake booster vac pipe o-ring and the evap and PCV pipe o-rings too , now is the time !!"

Also from Certified Tech "NBCat", "Also, if you have any reason to suspect the air conditioning refrigerant may be leaking, recover the refrigerant in the system and change the o-rings on the connector with the expansion valve. The fitting is inaccessible when the supercharger is in situ."

Last edited by Sean W; 10-11-2016 at 03:56 PM.
NBCat (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 04:34 PM

Thanks Sean. Yeah,I left it for the pros to do. I don't have a problem taking things apart... getting something like that back together and then not running properly scares me. But if this becomes a routine, I will learn! I bought the factory service manual, but it doesn't supply detailed photos. Let you know how the story ends soon. BTW, they mentioned my brake pads low, but that something I plan to tackle. I bought ceramic pads already. Do you know if there are any sensors on the calipers I need to be concerned about?

Old 10-11-2016, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Marco75
Thanks Sean. Yeah,I left it for the pros to do. I don't have a problem taking things apart... getting something like that back together and then not running properly scares me. But if this becomes a routine, I will learn! I bought the factory service manual, but it doesn't supply detailed photos. Let you know how the story ends soon. BTW, they mentioned my brake pads low, but that something I plan to tackle. I bought ceramic pads already. Do you know if there are any sensors on the calipers I need to be concerned about?
No sensors that I'm aware of. I assume you have the Alcon's since you have the 09 portfolio? If I'm not mistaken, you've got painted calipers and will want to apply heat shrink or electrical tape to your screwdriver and some tape to the calipers to prevent scratching. The ABS sensor should not come in to play. You'll have to remove the logo badge from the caliper.

Richard can probably weigh in here (Richzak).

Here's a link to changing the pads on the 07 with pics. Aside from my mention above, I see no difference, but I don't know if the standard caliper retraction tool would work as the pistons (6 vs. 4). If you're replacing the rotors, take heed to the final comments with regard to the parking brake as it will require a reset.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cement-136031/

Also some data on your Alcons:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...estion-169753/

Old 10-11-2016, 05:58 PM

Oh that's good news. My car didn't have the Alcon option, I have the standard XKR brakes, so it should be easy. Thanks!