Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

N/A 5.0 Stock Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 02:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default N/A 5.0 Stock Exhaust

Hi,
I know that there's a very significant exhaust noise difference between the 4.2 and the 5.0 XKRs, the 5.0 being praised for it's bad boy manners. Too bad but it's too loud for me. I haven't found whether the same difference exists between the 4.2 and 5.0 normally aspirated variants (sorry if I missed the info). Could anybody tell me if such the case ? I've never heard one so far. I have one in sight to replace my previous 2004 x100, but it's far away from home and I don't think I'd be OK for anything significantly louder than the 4.2 n/a, specially in the bass frequencies.
Thanks !

Old 02-10-2016, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

Gooday. I came out of a 4.2NA XF which I thought wasnt loud enough (so I fitted a Paramount exhaust which fixed that) and went into a 5.0XF. I'm assuming that the engine note is going to be pretty similar between the XF and the XK.

The 4.2 has quite a lovely throbby note which gets much better under revs - as you'd know it sounds brilliant when you wind it up a little. The 5.0 isnt as nice IMO. It doesnt have the throbbiness of the 4.2, it is much more raspy and metallic sounding. When I test drove the 5.0 the absence of "theater" with the engine note was very noticeable. It sounds OK and gets louder when you put your foot down with a bit of crackle coming through at high revs, but I'd rather something that makes my genitals vibrate and ears bleed doing the legal limit.

I think you'd find it fine. It is pretty civilised.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:04 PM
Received 102 Likes on 61 Posts
Old 02-11-2016, 03:20 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you Bruce and Sean for the replies and link. As you guessed Bruce, my aim is directly opposite to yours and many people. I love sports cars but can't stand the noise of most of them any longer. And the current trend is to make them louder and louder (yes, more and more expressive ) which doesn't help me.
Similarly to your direct XF 4.2 to 5.0 direct comparison, it would be great if someone could provide the same back to back experience on the two XK variants.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by f-xo
Thank you Bruce and Sean for the replies and link. As you guessed Bruce, my aim is directly opposite to yours and many people. I love sports cars but can't stand the noise of most of them any longer. And the current trend is to make them louder and louder (yes, more and more expressive ) which doesn't help me.
Similarly to your direct XF 4.2 to 5.0 direct comparison, it would be great if someone could provide the same back to back experience on the two XK variants.
It seems a lot of the posts and youtube reviews of the XK seem to have a lot of focus on the exhaust. It was also one of the interests I had as I enjoy the sound of a good exhaust but only when I want to hear it. Coming from an old Ferrari one of the greatest things was to listen to the exhaust during a typical Ferrari tune up drive. I'm no spring chicken (in my 70's) but have always enjoyed unique sports cars . Now back to the XK exhaust as I was interested in when I was looking for my car. I wanted the XKR in a convertible and was surprised when the one I bought had the performance exhaust option. I was also concerned whether it would be a detractor when the bride and I would take our country cruises. So I was surprised when we took our 4 hour trip to visit our friends which was 90% interstate roads at 70-80MPH . With the top up the cabin noise was well below what I expected and the radio volume was low enough that we could hear it and speak to each other . The exhaust note was somewhat indistinguishable unlike my old 63 Corvette with side pipes. Now with the top down and at road speeds you can hear the exhaust note but it's not to intrusive. I think it is the best of both worlds and when I'm in the car by myself the DSC gets switched on the the music comes from the rear. I can't talk to the coupe but I would bet it is similar but they won't get the sound that the converts get when the top is down. So do yourself a favor and take a test drive under normal driving conditions and you might be surprised.