XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Navigation help

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 10:28 PM
Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Navigation help

I know a lot of don't think much of the Nav in the XK and don't use it, and that's okay, I understand. I find it to be pretty functional, maybe because my previous experience has been with Navs that aren't exactly state of the art, so my expectations are low. The first time my wife entered a destination address she proclaimed that she LOVED the Nav. So there's that.

Anyway, because I'm always the driver, I haven't been able to fiddle with it as much as I need to to try and figure everything out.

Common scenario with us... On a road trip and we have the Nav guiding us to our end destination (hotel) that is several hours away. "Hey, lets stop for some coffee and snacks at Starbucks. I wonder where the nearest one is along our route?" Can an inquiry of this type be accomplished on the XKs Nav? "Find a nearby Starbucks along this route"?

Old 01-21-2015, 10:57 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I am not aware of that ability on the Jag navigation. My advice (as we do exactly this) equip the wife with the iPhone app that locates nearest Starbucks. Works well / fast and she can handle without touching the navigation system.

Also much faster than any sub-menu search - even if it did exist.

To be honest - we tend to use the iPhone much more than the Jag navigation.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I find that we use the nav. basically for when we are on long trips and usually knowing where we need to go or for finding alternate roads while driving to avoid traffic jams. The Jag unit is comparable to my Lexus unity so I am somewhat familiar with it's function. It works for us even though it may not be to efficient in some instances but it is better then nothing. I usually have the nav. screen up during my drives and at a low setting in order to see the local roads. My kid uses the iphone app but because we have not gone to smart phones yet we don't have that capability. As for the Garman types I never got one as I don't like to stick stuff on the windshield. So we got what we got and it will suit our needs.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:37 AM
Received 442 Likes on 185 Posts

The Jag nav system doesn't have that capability. A higher end Garmin or a cell phone is your best bet. Personally I think the system is junk. DVD based? Really? Jag always lags behind in electronics. Surprised it doesn't have a cassette deck.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by flyc2c
The Jag nav system doesn't have that capability. A higher end Garmin or a cell phone is your best bet. Personally I think the system is junk. DVD based? Really? Jag always lags behind in electronics. Surprised it doesn't have a cassette deck.
Sorry I guess I didn't state that clearly. What I mean is when I see a traffic backup I use the nav. to see side roads that would let me avoid staying in the traffic. As for the cassette deck it would be nice considering I've got a box full of them with no place to play them. By the way I still have a bunch of 8-tracks in the basement next to my 45's. LOL.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:14 AM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Junk is a nice word for it!
My 6" Tom Tom which I use in my other vehicles is just superb.
Doesn't fit too well in the XK.............so let wife drive in front with Honda/Tom Tom and I just follow!! (just joking!)

Cheers, Adrian

Old 01-22-2015, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

I don't know maybe we should take a poll on usage. Something like:
I use my navigation system:

1 Once a day
2 Twice a week
3 Once a week
4 Once a month
5 Never because it sucks

Old 01-22-2015, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

How about;
6 It has a Nav system?

Old 01-22-2015, 06:33 PM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Adrian

Old 01-22-2015, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

I use the built in Nav system when I don't know exactly where I am going. It can also be helpful for finding a gas station. How often do I use it maybe onece every other week.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:54 PM
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I know this is not the answer to your question (think you already have that) but for the record, I'm with the "just use your smart phone" crowd. The XK's nav is not bad and useful for the kind of long trips your describe but for the impromptu request I find it much easier to use the voice command "directions to nearest Starbucks" than to mess with the controls on the dash.

Perhaps the next generation of Jags will have this ability...til then, Siri is my navigator!

Bob
FYI, there is a Starbucks here in Granite Bay, only 10-15 minute drive for you so no need for navigation First round is on me!

The following users liked this post:
carealtor (01-22-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Can you not use POI? Point of Interest?

When my car gets low on fuel and I am using the navigation it highlights the gas stations near me. I think the POI's can do the same thing?

Old 01-23-2015, 11:32 PM
Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird6
Can you not use POI? Point of Interest?

When my car gets low on fuel and I am using the navigation it highlights the gas stations near me. I think the POI's can do the same thing?

Well, that's what I was hoping someone who has figured it out (actually done it) would tell me.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:46 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 717 Posts

I've been living with the POIs for this very purpose. My nav dvd is pretty old... but it works for me.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts
Talking

There are a whole bunch of POI categories included, same as any other NAV system. Have to choose DESTINATION, uh, .... crap, now I forgot. ANYway, it's about four button touches from the NAV screen to actually get to the POI sub-menus.
I don't think the NAV system is HORRIBLE, but it just takes a few more "clicks" to get it to do what you want it to do.
It's not difficult, just explore it while you're bored. It has the typical Restaurants (sub-menu of fast food, chinese, american, pretty much anything around where you are), Banks, Shopping Centers, Groceries... all the Buy-Stuff places. Also has Museums, Parks, Rec Spots and so on.
I think if people actually USED it and found out that it isn't THAT bad (other than too many buttons to push and a little slow to change screens) and would actually use it more often.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:01 PM
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I have to agree that the Nav system is actually decent. For getting us to an address that we know in my XKR and the wife's XF it works great. Have used it a couple times for POIs and the only problem is places that are recently built. I do still use my phone at times because it allows me to update things while driving, unlike the Jag system that wants me to stop. I would rate TomTom actually lower than this system because those things are horribly buggy. For a stand alone unit Garmin is the only way to go.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (01-27-2015)