XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need Help with Decision

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 03:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need Help with Decision

Help me decide. Currently drive and '04 XJR. Love the power, space, looks, ride, just about everything (besides the air suspension). The problem is...I found a VERY low mile '07 XK convertible.

I have always wanted a convertible (especially an XK). Obviously the interior space is different, but we do have another vehicle better suited for long trips with more than two people.

The XK would have to replace the XJR. Would not drive in the winter (have a dedicated winter vehicle). Need to fit my 5 year old in the back also.

What should I do?

The following users liked this post:
Ceckman (04-11-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 03:32 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

FlamurAdili…methinks your son would outgrow that tiny XK backseat pretty quickly, even with the passenger seat forward. Not to say you shouldn't enjoy an XK for a few years!

Old 04-07-2015, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Suggest you test drive the xk for several hours under all types of driving situations you would be likely to encounter when using it. Also, check it out to make sure the known problems (duckbill drain and shrinking leather dash) have been addressed. My last 4 door sedan was an 04 XJR Which is about as fine a sedan as you can get. My spouse drives a Lexus ES 350 which in doesn't hold a candle to the XJR.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Suggest you test drive the xk for several hours under all types of driving situations you would be likely to encounter when using it. Also, check it out to make sure the known problems (duckbill drain and shrinking leather dash) have been addressed. My last 4 door sedan was an 04 XJR Which is about as fine a sedan as you can get. My spouse drives a Lexus ES 350 which in doesn't hold a candle to the XJR.
Some years back when I retired we were looking to get a new car to replace my X-Type commuter. We looked at a new XF as it was about the size car we were looking for and being an old Jag guy liked the style. Our test drive was nice but at that time we thought the ride was a little to firm for what we were looking for. Our next test car was a new Lexus ES350 and it rode like sitting on our couch. Not a great handling car and a FWD but it was smooth , quiet and comfortable. We bought one and a few years later we bought another. Still have that one and at 30K miles it rides the same. Now with the XKR it is a different animal but for a fun car and weekend cruiser it's great. I was also surprised at the last 4 hr trip wet took and the ride was great (not as soft as the Lex). To us it is the best of both worlds I guess.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:49 PM
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

My kids are 7 and 9 and they look forward to any opportunity to ride in Dad's Jag. We go on Sunday drives all the time. Owning this car is a rare privilege so if you have a chance to afford one, go for it!

Old 04-07-2015, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by FlamurAdili
What should I do?
If you currently have an XJR and appreciate the power I would look out for an XKR instead. I went from an X308 XJR to a non supercharged X350 and regretted it big time.

It was a very nice car but I missed the power which is why I eventually traded it in for an XKR.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by u102768
If you currently have an XJR and appreciate the power I would look out for an XKR instead. I went from an X308 XJR to a non supercharged X350 and regretted it big time.

It was a very nice car but I missed the power which is why I eventually traded it in for an XKR.
Well, remember that the XK is probably lighter than the XJR, and still comes with a (somewhat) respectable 300 hp. The weight loss doesn't completely make up for the loss of power, but it likely puts them closer to teachother (ofcourse, the X350 is also aluminium, and the cab models tend to be heavier...)

When it comes to your 5 year old, it's hard to say if it will be a comfortable ride. Guess it depends on how tall your kid is, and how much leg room you and your wife needs. Atleast with a cab, you won't have to worry so much about the head room; the coupe can have some problems with that.

Take the XK for a spin and see how you like it. It will have a different feel for sure; perhaps you will feel it has enough power to keep you satisfied, or perhaps you will realize you really need a XKR to be happy. Only one way to find out!

Trending Topics

Old 04-10-2015, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

As many can attest, the back seat is there more as an insurance break than useable for passengers...

If the XK is to be your daily driver, you may also find it lacking, as it is difficult to carry groceries without them scattering about the shallow trunk, and the trunk size itself limits what you can carry (example: a guitar will not fit... too long)

Another drawback is that the car is so sweet looking that you find yourself parking Waaaay out in the parking lots and hoping a cart does not come within 40 feet of you. (Aluminum cars are very unforgiving of door dings.)

I later picked up a Honda to do the mundane stuff, while my XK waited patiently for the weekend to arrive...

Despite the known issues with the AC floorboard leak (which you will want to look into before purchase) I have to admit I love my XK and fell blessed to own and drive such an amazing car (but you knew that about the Jaguar brand already).

Best of luck on the decision, and study that back seat closely cause its not really very practical to use even by a youngster except for the shortest of trips.

BOL

Old 04-11-2015, 11:45 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

For what it is worth...

I had a 2001 XJR back a few years ago while living south of you in Chicago. It was my favorite car - ever. It provided - what I thought - was plenty of grunt and all the comfort I ever wanted. It also carried the family (two boys) in comfort. The car just fit me / us like a glove. I still don't know why I ever sold it... But I did.

Time passed and so did a few cars through the garage and I now have a 2011 XKR Convertible. Boys are gone. I am retired and live in the Desert. I love the XKR and MY GOD is it quick! I thought the old XJR was a rocket. Wrong! Simply a fast jet.

So... To your question....

The XKR is just a totally different car vs the XJR. Despite what others contend... It's a two seater. It just is... Don't kid yourself into thinking you can carry the kids. You would all be uncomfortable.

Keep the XJR and wait a bit for the right time for a two seater.

It comes quicker than you may think!

ralphwg (04-12-2015)
Old 04-13-2015, 02:16 PM
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Took my wife and kids on a 5 hour drive yesterday and the kids were just fine in the back (7 and 9 years old). I'm 5'11.

I took pics to prove it!

Old 04-13-2015, 02:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sharx8
Took my wife and kids on a 5 hour drive yesterday and the kids were just fine in the back (7 and 9 years old). I'm 5'11.

I took pics to prove it!
And they all look happy! Beautiful family btw.

A 5 hour trip and my wife would be complaining before the kids lol.

How we do it is, my wife is petite so she has the passenger seat all the way (or most of the way) forward and my 9 year son sits behind her. My 6 year old daughter sits behind me on a booster with her feet crisscrossed on the seat. We are all comfortable but I haven't gone on any long distance trips yet.

sharx8 (04-13-2015)