XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New car quandries...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
Default New car quandries...

Some of you may recall my tragic loss of my perfect Silver 2010 XKR Coupe to an accident. Car held up well in a low speed collision, no airbags and the front crumpled beautifully to protect me and my passenger. A total loss (thankfully) per insurance and luckily I ended up getting slightly more than i paid for her, though I still can't find a matching deal to my original price...

Back on point, any suggestions for a suitable replacement? Fortunately money isn't much of an issue (though I'm going to suppress the desire to go crazy and buy a lovely Ferrari 458 Italia or something on that strata). Truly, the Jag was a close to perfect fit. Comfortable in all settings, swift (could have enjoyed a bit more speed, but not a big complaint), lovely lines, well built, beautiful interior, drew attention without being TOO flashy (no yellow Lamborghini for me, not my style). Where I live, even an XKR turns heads. Plenty of expensive iron, but all the usual stuff (911's, AMG's, M's...), the Jag pulled way more looks than the cost would suggest.

I'm tempted to buy another XKR, but I don't think I can do it. I mean, here's a chance to buy something new and different, and the XKR hasn't changed significantly since 2010 and doesn't look to be in for a redesign anytime soon...

So given a slightly higher budget, any suggestions? Corvette's are out. Not much US iron that tempts me, truthfully, all the mopar stuff seems a bit played out and the Camaro is cartoonish and a bit underdesigned in the looks department. One dimensional and not that well at that IMO.

Some temptations: the Audi R8V10 Coupe. Silver with CF? Too much attention? Seems like a reasonably practical car (along the lines of the XKR), maybe a bit faster, interior up to par, maybe even a stick?

I _AM_ considering a CTS-V wagon as a daily driver now that finances have improved. I tend to buy something one year old with a certified warranty, whatever the brand. On the other hand, maybe I scrap the CTS-V wagon and the R8, put the money aside for something in a year or two and buy the supercharged XJ? seems like a VERY upscale looking ride, obviously not a sports car, but seems like it'd be a superb road-trip car and a blast with all that torque. Sleeper beauty...

Thanks,

Skeeter

Old 12-03-2012, 02:07 AM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Dude, you're in Berkeley of all places. If it ain't a Volt, Leaf, Prius or Subaru hybrid, you're going to get raised noses of disgust and one-finger peace signs from hippie rejects.

Or are you up in Kensington?

Pushing that all aside, life is meant to be experienced and if you got the money, go with something new. Like the Audi.

Sure, another XKR would be familiar, but you have the opportunity for something different. Something more pretentious (in a raw power, high-performance way) than your neighbors perhaps? C'mon, thumb your nose at those stuffy dorks.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:20 AM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts

Skeeter,

Good to hear from you...If you recall, I too am from Berkeley and lived their throughout the better part of my life. There is little doubt that any "high profile" vehicle you select will draw a resentful albeit desirous eye.

That said, life is way too short to base your selection on the public court of opinion. As for your next ride, I would go for the Audi R8. I have seen, sat in and admired that car for quite some time. Add to that, Audi makes a great car that is unique with nice resale values.

A bit of advice, you may want to avoid a personalized license plate that suggest, "let them eat cake"

Old 12-03-2012, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

XKR-S, Nissan GT-R, 550 Maranello, Vantage...

Old 12-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Definitely a tough call. You already turned down the other likely suspects when you bought the XKR a year ago. Some interesting ones coming in a couple of years. Lots of options if you completely change the type of car to include a usable back seat. XJ is beautiful. No one year old F-Types for well over a year. Would you consider downgrading to a Porsche or Mercedes for a while? Caddy is quick, but otherwise pretty mainstream for a gentleman with your sense of style and discerning taste. Maybe drive the Audi and see what you think.

Bruce

Old 12-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Some other cars to consider- porsche 991 turbo (will be debuting early 2013), Xkr-s, AM v12 vantage, SRT Viper, and MB c63 Amg Black series.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:43 AM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks all for the thoughts.. I can't see myself in a " P" car a no matter how fast. Just not my image, even at an early age I just never saw myself as a Porsche driver, aside from like a SUV as a daily driver.

I'd love Something from Italy, but alas most cars from my homeland are a little bit over-the-top especially for Berkeley. Understatement of the year there...

For some reason I feel like the R8 slips through some filters and while it draws attention it doesn't seem quite as outlandish as a Lamborghini or a Ferrari or the like. Just a touch more than the Jag imo. A beautiful beautiful interior, especially with the gated stick and seems like a car that might be somewhat practical.

As far as the CTS – V is concerned I think we should all take a hard, hard look at the wagon, especially in stick form. I think it's a fairly unique and rare car the likes of which we will not see for quite a while. I believe they are discontinuing the wagon and are no longer in production for next year. I suspect that it will be a car that'll appreciate over time. A strange era when GM was producing a 500+ horsepower stick shift wagon with magnetic suspensions like those in our Jags. A station wagon from Cadillac with more power than the xkr-s, LOL. I'll bet they'll do we'll in terms of depreciation and will only get harder to find over time. Try finding an E55 wagon for a reasonable price... Tough, pricier than the sedan by far and far more rare. The wagon Might be pole position for daily driver duties...

I'll look at an R8v10 in SF next week, looks like a deal, I just need to figure out Audi's warranty policy regarding extended policies or the cost of third party warranties. And insurance costs, that's and issue.

Is the GT-R really a practical option? Is it practical, comfortable, and can you get a long warranty for it? I thought I'd seen somewhere that maintenance was an issue, especially long-term. No questions regarding speed though, we are good there ��.

Nobody seems to be enthusiastic about the Maserati lineup. I find both 2 and 4 doors less elegant than the Jag, and performance/price ratio seems off.

What am I missing? Wats the word on the performance of the faster XJ's? Elegant sleepers as I suspect, or too long and heavy? Did they nail the intangibles like they did on the xkr?

Skeeter

Last edited by Skeeter; 12-07-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:57 AM
Veteran Member

How about a used CTS-V wagon while you wait for some of the new crop to come along. Here's the new NSX with the production car being shown next month in Detroit...

New Acura NSX Coming To Detroit Auto Show: Report

Two track friends have deposits on this hybrid supercar. Jaguar should embrace this technology to improve performance.

Bruce

Old 12-07-2012, 03:02 PM
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

nothing beats the lines and look of a nice XKR, pick another color and maybe the XKR-S
upgrade will be enough.
Regarding the Audi, great looks, great build but it has no soul, unlike the jags.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts
Old 12-08-2012, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

I can't imagine a Caddy anything would ultimately hit the mark. One of the special things about jags is that they do not make a run of the mill everyday anything. Cannot be said about Audi, BMW, Mercedes that make lower priced vehicles. That may be changing with Jag with their upcoming lineup.

The reason I bought my XF was it was a great combination of power, luxury and sport, and from a pure design perspective was beautifully executed.

Aston Martin? Not too much flashier than the Jag. Most of your neighbors may not notice the difference. I haven't driven the XJ, but it seemed like alot of mass once you sat inside. Beautifully executed design though.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave
That's a heck of a buy!

Old 12-08-2012, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member

I see 3 good choices for you among this ultimate car collection list...

We pick 15 cars to put in our dream garage - MSN Auto's ultimate car collectionEditor's Picks - Autos - MSN CA

Bruce

Old 12-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Skeeter, you came out of an XK and now looking at a Caddie, a true 4 seater. Why not combine the strong points of the two and take a look at Aston Martin Rapide. It's a unique car, don't see many here in the US. I agree that a CT-V wagon will appreciate. Domestic limited production rockets always hold their value, no matter what the body style. Being a stick shift wagon with a vette engine guarantees the value of investment. Just my $0.02

Old 12-08-2012, 10:30 AM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

I had an '05 CTS-V, the first generation. Drove it 95K miles. I've always had manual transmission vehicles; and my CTS-V was no exception. I installed a much lighter flywheel, and better shifter, which really helped. But, now I am quite happy with the Jag's auto, particularly in bump & grind traffic.

I would consider the new CTS-V wagon. It is a good stealth vehicle, which has value in today's traffic.

I would also specially order it to get all the options I want. Check prices at Dave Smith in Kellogg, Idaho. They will quote you a firm price over the phone; and back it with a faxed purchase order.

The motor in the CTS-V is robust and there is plenty of room for intake/exhaust mods at a fraction of the price for similar Jag mods.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Do you guys think the Caddy interior is up to par with Jags or other top marque's? I only looked briefly at the CTS and I felt the Jag interior was more sophisticated and luxurious.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Do you guys think the Caddy interior is up to par with Jags or other top marque's? I only looked briefly at the CTS and I felt the Jag interior was more sophisticated and luxurious.
Interiors have traditionally been the Achilles heel of GM and CTS-V is no exception. However, the Sport Wagon is an instant classic: 6.2 L supercharged station wagon with M/T available from the factory. How often does that happen?

Old 12-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tirefriar
Interiors have traditionally been the Achilles heel of GM and CTS-V is no exception. However, the Sport Wagon is an instant classic: 6.2 L supercharged station wagon with M/T available from the factory. How often does that happen?
Would have to agree on both points. If you are keeping a car for the long haul, the Caddy wagon is a wise choice.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Forgive me for weighing in on the choice of your new car, I usually stay on my side (first series XKR, 2002 vert.) of the forum, but I decided to visit this side (2007+xk) to do some research on 2010-2012 XKR coupes as I can't take the convertible to the track (not allowed) when my partner and I go to Audi track events. Right now, I lug out my ancient 1972 de Tomaso Pantera, but it's truly a handful at the trickier venues like Spring Mountain and Infineon. My friend and I trade off with his Audi S5-6spd. Having driven the R-8 V-10 convertible during a week when my friend's S5 was being dealer serviced and they gave him a brand new R-8 as a loaner (and an enticement to trade up), I came away actually liking his S5 better. It's simply smoother and more refined all around, and what a gear box! It may not be the race car the R-8 is, but it's more enjoyable to drive. Now with the new RS5, the perfect combo of even higher performance and legendary smoothness from Audi may have arrived. Having said that, and while I still love the appearance of my generation of XKR, it is hard to argue with the extensive abilities of the 5.0 XKR from 2010 on...especially if bought used where someone else is taking the huge depreciation hit. The CTS-V wagon is a heck of a concept, and I've considered it as a great dual purpose hauler/track car, but the XKR's profile is just so damn gorgeous (I actually like it more than the Astons). My suggestion is go out and rent several of your initial choices for a day and see what you like to drive, to look at, and to enjoy, you'll know pretty quick. I would, however, give the Audi RS5 a spin as well, if it's like the S5 only more ferocious, it will be intoxicating. Its only drawbacks in my opinion are 1) far too quiet and 2) a little too subdued exterior. Good luck with your hunt.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

I just drove a friend's new CTS-V wagon this weekend. Pros- acceleration, handling and ride. Very smooth drive. Functional back seat and cargo space. Cons- underwhelms in the interior department. Also the engine sounds throaty and mean on the outside, but from the driver's seat all you hear is the whine of the supercharger.

Quick Reply: New car quandries...