XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

No longer able to pair phone with car ('07 Jaguar XK)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 06:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No longer able to pair phone with car ('07 Jaguar XK)

Good evening folks...newbie Jaguar enthusiast here.

I've had my '07 Jaguar XK for 5 years now and have had relatively good experiences with it and still enjoy it to this day. Even though the Nav is clunky (base w/o satellite) and doesn't support music streaming, I do appreciate the ability to use the hands-free in order to keep my hands on the steering wheel...

Which is why I'm posting for the first time today...the hands-free no longer works. My phone (an iPhone 6) had been paired for over a year but just over a month ago became unpaired somehow and now I can't pair it again. When I try to pair the phone through the phone submenu and tap "Yes"...nothing happens...it doesn't move past the Yes button...

Click Yes...nothing happens; left buttons greyed out...

The dealership was unable to determine the root cause through initial inspection and advised that I would need to have a full diagnostic performed for $175...

Are there any ideas or insight as to how I might be able to fix the issue without incurring additional expenses? I appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

You said the problem already..... "iphone 6".

The following users liked this post:
ram_g (12-30-2023)
Old 07-01-2016, 02:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

iPhones were actually one of the few phones that worked properly with the early XK's. I have had no issues from the 3G up to the 6 plus and have run IOS 3 to 8 with a few betas along the way.

The phonebook wouldn't load on the Android phone I tried so I have stuck with iPhones and the Android OS is just a jumbled mess anyway as far as I am concerned.

And no I am not an Apple Fanboy. Both my wife and daughter use MAC's and I really don't understand why they bought them. Give me a PC running Windows anyday.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,133 Likes on 3,380 Posts

Is the problem the car or the phone? Try pairing your iPhone 6 with several other cars. If it doesn't pair, your phone is the problem, not your XK.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,888 Likes on 1,282 Posts

Since it was working and then stopped, is it possible you had an OS update on the phone?
You could try power cycling the phone.
If that doesn't fix it, you could try a reset on the car (disconnect a battery cable, touch it to the other cable for a few seconds, and then reconnect it. You may need to reset some stuff (seats, radio, windows, etc.)).
Worth a try.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:49 AM

So I may have inadvertently planted misleading information when I mentioned the specific model of my phone...

It's the car; when I press the "Yes" button I get audio feedback indicating that the button was pressed but nothing happens...I can press it multiple times or hold it down and it won't proceed to the next screen where the car enables discovery mode for my (any) phone to bind to it. My phone pairs perfectly fine with other vehicles.

I'll try unplugging the battery for a few hours tonight to see if resetting it may work.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:25 AM
wkb
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the exact same experience. My Bluetooth module had died. Found a replacement on eBay for $85.00 and installed it myself in less than 30 minutes. The new part from jag is about $1,000 00
The module is located in the trunk behind the removable panel under the navigation cd module.
Bluetooth modules from many my xk's will work. There is a list of module part numbers somewhere in the forum.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:30 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,007 Likes on 715 Posts

FWIW, ive been through this before.
My solution
1. Disable all phone featues, tben reboot phone.
2. Re pair phone.

If the quick fix didnt work
1. From 1. Above.
2. Del all phones from car
3. From 2. Above.

And sadly if that didnt work
In addition to above, reset the car. As you know, i do this quarterly.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:12 PM

An update:

Per the feedback you've given and references to others with similar/identical issues I purchased another bluetooth module on ebay with identical part # (6W83-10D893-AF), swapped it out with the old unit in the trunk, turned on the ignition, pressed phone and...still no worky...

At this point, there is one last step to take which would be to disconnect the battery for a couple hours, reconnect then try again. If that doesn't work, I imagine there could be only two conclusions: A) I bought another bad unit or B) there is something in the cabling.

Thank you all for your help.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jdubsFL
......still no worky...

At this point, there is one last step to take which would be to disconnect the battery for a couple hours, reconnect then try again.....
No need to wait that long; touch the disconnected cable to the opposite cable for a few seconds and all the volatile memory will be wiped.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:17 AM
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

My iPhone 5 worked flawlessly until I updated to 9.3.3. After that my phone didn't pair anymore. Tried everything, disconnected every lead, connectors, did a hard reset of the electrics by disconnecting the battery, NOTHING.
Than I tried a different approach, I checked all the menus of iOS 9.3.3.
Under settings->general->accessibility ->interaction->Call audio routing, I chose headset instead of the automatic.
Then my telephone was discovered by the jag system and my phone could be paired.
Now it's functional again.

I hope others will have success with my solution to my specific problem.

The following 2 users liked this post by mcdutch:
kj07xk (08-05-2016), u102768 (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

My phone just recently started acting up. It is paired but sometimes will not dock. It has been intermittent and sometimes it's working and sometimes not. Last night while out it would not dock. I see the phone (Samsung) is paired on the screen and asks if I want to dock . I hit the dock and up comes the not docked message. I have an appointment next week to have my glove box replaced and I told the dealer about this issue. The said they will check it out. We'll see if/when they look at it. 2012 XKR

Old 08-30-2016, 10:25 PM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
My phone just recently started acting up. It is paired but sometimes will not dock. It has been intermittent and sometimes it's working and sometimes not. Last night while out it would not dock. I see the phone (Samsung) is paired on the screen and asks if I want to dock . I hit the dock and up comes the not docked message. I have an appointment next week to have my glove box replaced and I told the dealer about this issue. The said they will check it out. We'll see if/when they look at it. 2012 XKR
I'm having a similar problem with my iPhone 6 - have been using this phone with no problems at all for almost 2 years, but as of a few weeks ago I see it connect but after a few minutes driving I get an error message that says "No connection to phone"

Old 08-31-2016, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ShadyJC
I'm having a similar problem with my iPhone 6 - have been using this phone with no problems at all for almost 2 years, but as of a few weeks ago I see it connect but after a few minutes driving I get an error message that says "No connection to phone"

I continue to have intermittent docking issues and have been documenting them to my dealer. With my car still under CPO coverage if the problem goes to a complete failure the module will be replace at no cost. The difference with our fault is we can get to the dock screen where as the OP can't even get there so I assume he has a bigger issue.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:55 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure this would help, but from time to time I have had various blue tooth devices just stop working (lost pairing) with my iPhone 6. (cars, remote speakers, headsets, etc.) I would go into the blue tooth screen on the phone, select the troubled connections and select "forget this device". Then restart the phone. Go back to the blue tooth screen and re-pair, it always works. Of course this won't help if you can determine if it is a hardware issue in the car.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

Looking at the screen shot from the OP it appears he can't even get into the phone pairing sequence. My bet is this is a bigger problem then the phone module and may be deeper into the infotainment system.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

Several years ago I had the same type of problem with and Iphone 5s and my 12 vert. I went through several Iphones (4 I think). As soon as I was able to I switched to a Samsung Galaxy and have not looked back.

Cee Jay (09-01-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Several years ago I had the same type of problem with and Iphone 5s and my 12 vert. I went through several Iphones (4 I think). As soon as I was able to I switched to a Samsung Galaxy and have not looked back.
My HTC ONE pairs perfectly, the wife's Galaxy 6+ and now her Note 7 pairs great. Tried the daughter's (of course) iPhoney 6 and no-joy.
. - - -
iphones^ - - - ^me

Old 12-30-2023, 01:59 PM
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

My o7 does the same thing. No phone found, do you want to search for one? Press "Yes" and nothing happens. Did you solve this?

Old 12-30-2023, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

This is thread resurrection. look at the date on the penultimate entry. Short answer. Get an Android phone.

Cee Jay (12-30-2023)

Quick Reply: No longer able to pair phone with car ('07 Jaguar XK)