XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Opening Convertible Hood Cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:53 AM
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Opening Convertible Hood Cover

I'm planning to give a good look and clean the convertible hood compartment and will need to have the convertible hood open for some time. However, the manual recommends that the opening procedure (press on hood opening switch continuously) is not interrupted.

Do you have any ideas of how to go about this? Should I just interrup the opening? Should I keep the engine on? Are there any hydraulic valves which might not be happy about this?

Cheers!

Andrew

Old 05-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Once day I wanted to look in the roof compartment and make sure all was clean/ok in there so I raised the roof half-way then turned then ignition off. When I turned the ignition on again after I'd done checking, the car sensed the roof was out of position and annoyingly the button wouldn't move it in either direction at all, So I ended up having to lower the roof manually using the procedure in the handbook.
Its not difficult, just inconvenient, made worse by the fact you have to pull the center section of the back seat out to get the tool. Why they don't stow the tool next to the roof actuator pump, like they did on the pre-2006 XK(R)s boggles my mind.
Since then I've learned its ok to stop the roof half-way with the compartment door open for a while, just dont turn the ignition off with the roof half up/down otherwise the car gets confused and won't play nicely after.

Last edited by JustNiz; 05-10-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:44 AM
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks JustNiz; good point of what happens when you turn the ignition on again; didn't think of that! Seems like it's best keep ignition on; in the meantime I've read in the technical manual that if the hood opening is interrupted, the tonneau cover will stay open for some 5 minutes than it falls down to avoid some hydraulic valve overheating. Manual also explains to 'support' the cover open while doing works, supposedly so that after the 5 minutes the hood does not fall. Not sure though whether if that's the case, the hood would still need to be manually re-synched.

Cheers!