XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Paint Correction and Opti Coat Pro

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts
Default Paint Correction and Opti Coat Pro

Finally had my paint correction completed and Opti Coat applied. I was amazed but how bad the paint was under certain lighting conditions. I knew there were swirl marks from the day I picked it up but the difference after the correction is pretty drastic.

Heres a video link of the car before and after.

Last edited by MaximA; 12-27-2013 at 10:49 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by MaximA:
Panthro (07-18-2016), ralphwg (12-27-2013), RedRider48 (12-23-2014), richzak (12-27-2013), XKR-S San Diego (12-27-2013)
Old 12-27-2013, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Great job and looks like glass. So what is the product and how is it applied. Also how long is it expected to hold up and how many times do you do the process over a period of a year. Thanks

Old 12-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

I don't know all the details on the products that he used to compound and polish but I know it was four different levels of clear coat safe compound than two levels of polish. After that the Opti Coat was applied to protect it. Its supposed to last years but can be buffed if it gets scratched. So on going maintenance is washing, occasional hand waxing and buffing of any scratches. I'd probably have it buffed well every 6 months if need be, this is my first time going this route so I will have to see how it holds up and the maintenance required.

I'll get some more details when I pick up the car tomorrow.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by MaximA
I don't know all the details on the products that he used to compound and polish but I know it was four different levels of clear coat safe compound than two levels of polish. After that the Opti Coat was applied to protect it. Its supposed to last years but can be buffed if it gets scratched. So on going maintenance is washing, occasional hand waxing and buffing of any scratches. I'd probably have it buffed well every 6 months if need be, this is my first time going this route so I will have to see how it holds up and the maintenance required.

I'll get some more details when I pick up the car tomorrow.
MaximA:

This is an amazing transformation of paint work/detailing or whatever it is called. I watched the entire video and also have to ask, what is the process? It this process exclusive to the shop where you had it done? and Would you care to share the cost? I have never heard of Opti-coat before. I will complete some research.

Looks like a boat shop, but I assume he does autos also such as yours. It is really amazing. I suspect your car is black in color from the video.

It turned out simply stunning.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:56 PM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Moar pics of boat please.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks gus, the work was done by Advanced Auto Detail and he does car, boats you name it. Look him up on Facebook and you can see some of this work, and by work I mean this guy is an artist. Incredible attention to detail and is totally thorough. He even opti coated the headlight, taillights, wheels and brake calipers. So no yellowing on the lenses and easy to clean wheels and brakes.

Any good detail shop should be able to do it, you just have to find the right one in your area. I found this guy listed in Dupont Registry as one of the best in south Florida. I have to agree with them!

As far as the products he's using I saw some Meguiars, Wolf Gang, and Zymol on the shelf. For the interior its Leatherique and another product that I can not remeber the name of. I will ask some more details on the process when I pick up the car. I just gave him the car and said work your magic inside and out. So it was nearly three days of work and cost around 1200 with 500 of that for the Opti Coat. Opti Coat applied by a detailer usually runs 300-1000 depending on size of the vehicle. So for an overall paint correction and protection I think its a fair price.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

I found lots of info on the Opti-Coat Pro product via the internet.

Here are a few links, and perhaps MaximA can shed more light on how his detailer completed the project.

The info below is for a DIY application....

Opti Coat 2.0 / Opti-Coat Pro

Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 Permanent Paint Coating

Optimum Opti-Seal 8 oz. Free Bonus! New & Improved!

Professional detailer costs seem to run from $560 up to $1000

Hope this helps.........looks like an awesome product and Thanks to MaximA for bringing it to our attention as I have never personally heard of the product.

It's going to be applied to my Jaguar XKR and Porsche Cayman 981. I have ordered the product for a DIY project one afternoon.

Last edited by richzak; 12-27-2013 at 02:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Quebecjag (12-28-2013)
Old 12-27-2013, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Moar pics of boat please.
I'll take some pictures of the boat tomorrow. I beleive its a Porsche Design, but not sure who its built by.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member

Most important thing is to have the paint as perfect as you can before application. Remove all wax, clay bar, compound, then polish. Now how that is done depends on the surface you are working with but the beauty of it is it seals finish. Its like a harder clear coat for the clear coat.

Rickzak - I just heard about it a month ago myself and just decided to give it a try. I talked to a few paint guys that I'm friends with and they all said it was a great product. I can't find a bad thing about it unless its applied wrong which can cause some cloudiness and uneven surfaces.

The following users liked this post:
richzak (12-27-2013)
Old 12-27-2013, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Funnily enough I was researching paint coatings last night because my car park at work is currently under trees so I am finding sap and bird droppings on my car most days.

I was offered a coating called Gard-X when I first bought the car but declined as I had not heard of it before. A lot of car dealers seem to offer these 'magic' products and after some research decided that the general opinion was that they were an expensive waste of money and little better than a decent wax job.

Whilst researching again last night though I came across a recommendation for Opti-Coat from a detailer so will have a closer look now that I have seen this post as well. I will be interested to hear how it wears for those that try it.

This is what I was looking at last night:
Paint Protection | About Opti-Coat Ceramic Clear Coating

I would have thought that auto manufacturers would use products like this themselves at the factory though if they are so wonderful.

Last edited by u102768; 12-27-2013 at 05:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by u102768:
pembroke (01-01-2014), richzak (12-27-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member

I agree about the scepticism we have all heard of magic products. I'm a firm believer in a good wax job and maintenance and will still do so. After researching it and finding that its being applied to a lot of daily driven high end cars and for some reason in my area every Tesla... If I were driving a Corolla no I wouldn't think about it but for 100k plus car you do a little extra. Lets see how it holds up and guards against environmental fall out and protects that clear coat from scratches of bad washes...

As far as dealers offering it, they are snake oil salesmen(some of them), besides they but the swirl marks on the car to start with. High pressure washing cars sitting outside in the hot sun for months with no wax to protect them is just stupid. I'm not exactly buying a paint protecting product from someone who has 16 year olds with NO experience "detailing" cars. What about the car manufacturer? All they care about is making a product that meets specifications and maximizing a bottom line, hence the aftermarket. They deliver a car that is "perfect" in their eyes to the dealer and their job is done. Having them retool or add to already existing processes for additional protection beyond clearcoat just shrinks profits, and public and/or private investors don't like that, but thats another topic

Old 12-28-2013, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member

There is a forum member here "EVOKING" that had the Opti-Coat process completed on his Jaguar last year and he is from Dallas, Texas. He originally had his Opti-coat done in Austin, TX.....he had a few issues on proper care after he had his done. Many suggestions were made to him, and he now should be able to hopefully add some dialogue to this topic. Hand washing with CLEAN microfiber wash mitts, and drying with microfiber towels are suggested for after application care.

After the application process has been completed it will be up to the car owner to properly care for the cars new coating. Opti-coat states that the finish can still scratch, and swirl, but is harder than an ordinary paint surface and clear coat. So be sure to research this product.

As for myself, I have ordered the product and will complete a DYI project first applying Opti-Coat to my new 2014 Porsche Cayman with only 1000 miles on it. Pre-preperation seems to be the "key" to a good result. As MaximA has stated you need a good amount of time spent in the prep work. Not just a quick high pressure wash and apply. From all my research I found that it could very well take up to 18 hours for a professional shop to correctly complete the work, especially, cleaning, claybar, polishing, applying OPTICOAT 2.0.

Here is a link to the Autopia forum on Opti-Coat applications. If your going to do this, I suggest you take time to read this information.

Polishing Opti-Coat? Frustrated! - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum

Hope this helps.......

The following 2 users liked this post by richzak:
Quebecjag (12-28-2013), u102768 (12-28-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member

I just picked the car up and am stunned.. Its a totally different car and the black paint looks like its wet. Amazing job, I've already made four trips down to the parking spot to look at it.

I'm not even sure what he used on the leather but the seats feel like butter, literally. I know its a three stage process. The first part you apply a product wrap the seats in plastic for a few hours which causes the dirt to rise to the surface. Then clean off the cleaner and apply conditioner. amazing.

As far as the Opti Coat he said 7 days for it to fully cure in warm weather, so no washing until Wednesday. I already had a good test of its effects, as the first spot I parked in was not my usual spot and rusty water dripped on the middle of the hood. Rust particles and all wiped away with no marks using a detail spray and microfiber cloth. Before this would have left tiny scratches I would have to have buffed out.

He did recommend Pinnacle Crystal Mist Detail Spray, Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towels

Excuse the glare but I'm extremely pleased with how it turned out.

Attached Thumbnails Paint Correction and Opti Coat Pro-wp_20131228_004.jpg  
Old 12-30-2013, 08:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey guys, i just posted a few more pics of the car i detailed for max.
The boat is a Porsche design fearless 28 with a supercharged 502ci Mercruiser engine.

It is not a boat detailing shop but just one of the personal boats that boat stored in the shop for the time being.

let me also mention that i hope me posting on here doesn't get considered advertising.
I am showing some pics this time and hopefully give some useful info.
I don't post on ANY forum, nor do i advertise.
I get my work through word of mouth mostly or people just finding my website.

Now , about the Opti Coat Pro.
There IS a difference between the opti coat 2.0 that anyone can purchase online and the Pro which each detailer has to be approved for by Optimum Polymer Technologies.
They want to make sure that each approved detailer has a reputable business and a good track record.
It is considered a permanent coating once properly applied and maintained .
You can still apply waxed and/or sealants after ,at your choosing .

Attached Thumbnails Paint Correction and Opti Coat Pro-041_zps0c852bc5.jpg   Paint Correction and Opti Coat Pro-033_zpsadf6f12f.jpg   Paint Correction and Opti Coat Pro-036_zpsa91816d0.jpg   Paint Correction and Opti Coat Pro-006_zpsad547940.jpg   Paint Correction and Opti Coat Pro-014_zps552aed48.jpg  

Paint Correction and Opti Coat Pro-022_zps208490e3.jpg   Paint Correction and Opti Coat Pro-035_zps6e40c09b.jpg   Paint Correction and Opti Coat Pro-019_zpsaf59c052.jpg   Paint Correction and Opti Coat Pro-020_zps3c019931.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Detail John:
Panthro (07-18-2016), richzak (12-30-2013)
Old 12-30-2013, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Detail John

Hey guys, i just posted a few more pics of the car i detailed for max.
The boat is a Porsche design fearless 28 with a supercharged 502ci Mercruiser engine.

It is not a boat detailing shop but just one of the personal boats that boat stored in the shop for the time being.

let me also mention that i hope me posting on here doesn't get considered advertising.
I am showing some pics this time and hopefully give some useful info.
I don't post on ANY forum, nor do i advertise.
I get my work through word of mouth mostly or people just finding my website.

Now , about the Opti Coat Pro.
There IS a difference between the opti coat 2.0 that anyone can purchase online and the Pro which each detailer has to be approved for by Optimum Polymer Technologies.
They want to make sure that each approved detailer has a reputable business and a good track record.
It is considered a permanent coating once properly applied and maintained .
You can still apply waxed and/or sealants after ,at your choosing .
Beautiful work.........awesome looking Jaguar. I am going to do a DIY OptiCoat 2.0 next week. Thanks for the info.....no one here in Southern New Mexico who does the OptiCoat Pro.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member

Hi John! Thank you for posting more pictures and information!

Old 12-31-2013, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 345 Likes on 239 Posts

Hmmmm.... not sure if this posted a pic of the XKR-S corrected next to a Ferrari....

Attached Thumbnails Paint Correction and Opti Coat Pro-image.jpg  
Old 12-31-2013, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

That looks gorgeous, and I love that color.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member

here are some more attachments...not sure how to put the pics on here?!?

Loth

Well Heck ... that aint working... here is on of the XKR

Both have paint correction with buffers by Esoteric Auto Detail in Columbus, Ohio – Detailing, Training, and Product Sales. in New Albany, OH. Todd Cooperider is a top 9 detailer in the US. After correction they got a topping of 22PLE - opticoats competitor.

Attached Thumbnails Paint Correction and Opti Coat Pro-image.jpg  
Old 12-31-2013, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

oh...not to hijack the thread...the treatment was - correction, both cars got entire front end wrap, rocker panels, and read bumper wrap...THEN the 22PLE coating...its liquid glass like a candy shell.

Quick Reply: Paint Correction and Opti Coat Pro