XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Paint Correction and Opti Coat Pro

Old 12-31-2013, 09:54 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

Here is a detailed write-up by a Toronto area detailer who has done over 700 Opti-Coat applications.

This should answer most questions as to what will be or should be done by your detailer if you proceed with the treatment.

GTA In Detail - Professional Automotive Detailing in The Greater Toronto Area

Elsewhere on his website, he makes this note:

Please note, Opti Coat Professional is not the same as Opti Coat 2.0 (the consumer version), until recently it provided a thicker coat, however in Setepmber 2013 Optimum further distinguished it from 2.0 by requiring a primer polish which contains a catalyst that allows Opti Coat Professional to provide an even thicker, more scratch resistant, more chemically resistant and glossier coat. We only use Opti Coat Professional. Also, we do not offer ala carte services, so our price always includes Opti Coat Pro on the inner barrels of your wheels (as well as the faces) and Opti Glass on all glass surfaces; these services are often an add on but here at GTA In Detail we make sure to do it right the first time, with no hidden charges.

Last edited by ndy.boyd; 12-31-2013 at 09:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MaximA (12-31-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 05:29 PM
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Another Opti Coat plug...

After getting Opti Coat applied to my painted surfaces my detailer had some extra left over. I had him apply it to my wheels. I've noticed a big reduction in brake dust buildup.

Mike

Old 01-01-2014, 10:22 AM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

As Richzak mentioned I had Opticoat Pro applied by when I first bought my XKR. Spent like $850 and detailer spent about 20 hours in my garage on prep, polish, application etc. I am sure it s a good product but it fell short of my expectations.

I maintained it with only microfiber as well. I think a dealer washed it and introduced just a few fine scratches. This was so disappointing to me that I had them get their detailer next door to dealership which supposedly did all of their Bentleys and had them buff and re-polish. Perhaps I should have left the stupid new scratches alone. That said I don't believe that a product lauded this much should have been so easily reversed by a single wash by a dealer. Even if they don't use all use microfiber its a towel. If the product can't resist a single non-microfiber towel drying how can it possible be called scratch resistant (yes I know there is a difference between scratch resistant and scratch proof).

Anyhow, I'm about to have the car redone by a pro while I have my wheel centers refinished. I'm on the fence about the extra expense of Opticoat.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:35 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Beautiful detail work. Seeing how most of the members are near OCD when it comes to washing, polishing, waxing and sealing their cars--I'd have to wonder if the cost outweighs the benefit. Don't get me wrong I LOVE AN AWESOME DETAIL, and at one point it was my bread and butter. I think it all comes down to cost and maintenance of such an application, experience of each member in detailing, how much you value your time and cost of like chemicals. I personally, notice I said personally, think that if you are stay on a regular wash, polish, wax, glaze, seal regimen--you can save a few pennies and avoid the steep cost. If you are purchasing a new car with little lot time, this would be a perfect investment as long as you understand that you need to maintain it and it's not "perfect or self maintaining". With all great products there will be risks to damage--know your risks, without faulting the detailer or the company. One reason I stepped out of the detailing arena is because I spent more time correcting after care issues for customer service satisfaction and enjoyed the art of detailing less and less.

Thank you Detail John for providing pictures and chiming in as a professional and not pushing a product. As you stated word of mouth is the best advertisement for any business.

For those who are interested in paint correction--head to the salvage yard, find yourself a good old door with enough clear coat remaining, purchase the products you'd like to use, some good lights, along with a good polisher and have at it! Trust me, taping off the car can take an hour or so for a novice. I'd also advise against any novice in attempting paint correction as you can cost yourself a quick $10k paint job!

Old 01-01-2014, 01:39 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Confusing number of products

I am to take delivery of my new F type in March (I hope!). I have been trying to research paint and stone chip protection. Does anyone have experience of the Xpel Ultimate or the 3M coating. New Zealand roads always cause stone chipping so prevention of stone chipping is what is most important, above appearance. Opticoat seems to not have stone chip protection??

Old 01-02-2014, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsammon
Another Opti Coat plug...

After getting Opti Coat applied to my painted surfaces my detailer had some extra left over. I had him apply it to my wheels. I've noticed a big reduction in brake dust buildup.

Mike
Its on my wheels and brake calipers and they are spotless after one week of driving.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Evoking
As Richzak mentioned I had Opticoat Pro applied by when I first bought my XKR. Spent like $850 and detailer spent about 20 hours in my garage on prep, polish, application etc. I am sure it s a good product but it fell short of my expectations.

I maintained it with only microfiber as well. I think a dealer washed it and introduced just a few fine scratches. This was so disappointing to me that I had them get their detailer next door to dealership which supposedly did all of their Bentleys and had them buff and re-polish. Perhaps I should have left the stupid new scratches alone. That said I don't believe that a product lauded this much should have been so easily reversed by a single wash by a dealer. Even if they don't use all use microfiber its a towel. If the product can't resist a single non-microfiber towel drying how can it possible be called scratch resistant (yes I know there is a difference between scratch resistant and scratch proof).

Anyhow, I'm about to have the car redone by a pro while I have my wheel centers refinished. I'm on the fence about the extra expense of Opticoat.
I have a sign I leave in the car when I take into service that says "DO NOT WASH" You will be clown away at how dealers "wash" cars. The before video is from my car being washed 3 times a week, and waxed weekly(its hot here). The paint looked like someone washed it with sandpaper. OptiCoat is no wonder coating but its already saved me some scratches that would have required a buff. Also note its not the just the drying that scratches the paint its the fact that most shops are high pressure wash the dirt off, then use an already dirty towel/soap(yes the same one they used on the filthy used Corolla) to create all the wonderful swirl marks you see on your paint. I'll give my regular detailer one shot at this car now, if he screws up only one guy will ever wash this car again. But I'm extremely OCD LOL

Old 01-02-2014, 11:45 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Pretty car.

I'm not a textile expert, but from what I've seen not all "microfiber" towels are created equal. Although we love to throw around new-fangled words in our advertising to draw people in. My kitchen tea-towels are "microfiber" but I wouldn't let them within 20 feet of my car.

The microfiber term, from what I can figure, refers to the high surface area, snow-flake like microscopic fibers that cling to whatever they come in contact with: water, dirt, sand, pine needles. Is it the weave that makes the difference?

Old 01-02-2014, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member

I agree with you they are not the same at all. My detailer laughed at the towels I had in the trunk.. He Showed me the proper microfiber towels to buy and they definitely make a difference.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by MaximA
I agree with you they are not the same at all. My detailer laughed at the towels I had in the trunk.. He Showed me the proper microfiber towels to buy and they definitely make a difference.
Do you have a brand name or location (website) to buy MICROFIBER towels that your pro detailer suggested?

Old 01-02-2014, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
The following 2 users liked this post by MaximA:
ccfulton (01-02-2014), richzak (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 06:25 PM

Those look like great towels, but they want $22 to ship to Canada. That's crazy. I'll shop local.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:15 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Sorry, double post.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
Those look like great towels, but they want $22 to ship to Canada. That's crazy. I'll shop local.
Try these.......I use these personally:

Chemical Guys (MIC_506_12) 16" x 16" Professional Grade Premium Microfiber Super Towel, (Pack of 12)
$21.88

Amazon.com: Chemical Guys (MIC_506_12) 16" x 16" Professional Grade Premium Microfiber Super Towel, (Pack of 12): Automotive Amazon.com: Chemical Guys (MIC_506_12) 16" x 16" Professional Grade Premium Microfiber Super Towel, (Pack of 12): Automotive

Great price for 12.........Amazon will ship to Canada just fine and the selection on Amazon USA is much better than the Canadian version. Make sure your address is registered in the Amazon account back end and Amazon will tell you if there is anything that you cant ship back to Canada.

Last edited by richzak; 01-02-2014 at 09:42 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by richzak:
MaximA (01-03-2014), Muddydog (01-04-2014), ndy.boyd (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 10:28 PM

Those look great, Richard. I ordered a dozen from Amazon. I'll have to hide them from my two sons, though. Every time they come over, they they leave with something.

Last edited by ndy.boyd; 01-02-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member

Look like the same towles rebranded and I love Amazon

Old 06-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

MaximA ... can't seem to find Advanced Auto Detail ... can you give me a link or phone number. I live in Plantation and would like to get my car Opti-Coated.

Thanks

Old 06-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tapau
MaximA ... can't seem to find Advanced Auto Detail ... can you give me a link or phone number. I live in Plantation and would like to get my car Opti-Coated.

Thanks
You can do the Opti-Coat yourself for about $90.00 and spend a few hours doing it. Opti-Coat 2.0 is sold in the aftermarket. I have done this with excellent results. It's on my 2009 Jaguar shown below in my signature.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Optimum-...-/331064710550

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html

But there is also the professional detailer that will do it for you.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Tapau,

I used Advanced Auto Detailers as I don't have the space or proper light to do it myself as I live in a highrise. Call John at 954-632-1582 and he can talk to you about it. It will probably take him a day depending on how much paint correction in needed to meet your goals.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

Here is the link to Advanced detailing My Website

Also keep in mind there is a difference in thickness between Opticoat 2.0 and Opticoat Pro, but the largest hurdle is the correction before its applied. If you want all of the swirl marks, nicks, etc. removed its just easier to give it to a pro.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint Correction and Opti Coat Pro