XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Potential new guy has questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 08:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential new guy has questions

Hi, I'm looking at my first Jag, an '07 XKR coupe with 21K miles. Beautiful car, with 20" rims. Since I live in NY, I'll need winter tires which I assume will be a challenge; Just wondering what others are doing, or is this usually a nice weather car for most people?

I've owned mostly BMW's and Mercedes. Both brands have been extremely trouble-free. Would most say that my Jag ownership / dealer experience is likely to be similar or do you feel the Jag might be a bit more....temperamental.

The car will be a daily all-weather driver Thanks.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Default Congrats - you'll love it.

As for the tires, I have a Jeep for winter driving and keep the Jag garaged, but I've put Bridgestone Blizzaks on my cars in the past and they're truly amazing. They have terrific grip on snow and even ice, and make a rear-wheel drive car like the XK safe for winter roads. Blizzaks come in wide-enough sizes to fit your current rims, or just buy some after-market ones and keep the tires mounted in the summer.

And no, I don't own stock in Bridgestone.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been running jags in the New England winters for over 25yrs. The XK is a very capible car if you give it good traction. Currently I'm runnng Blizzak LM25's on my 09XKR and it is really quite good in the snow. Pick up a set of 18" rims and tires put them on in early december and take them off in early april. I picked up a set of rims/tires/tpms sensors from tirerack for under$1500. The only down side of the XKR coupe is it really doesn't fit skiis real well but it is doable. The traction control system works great when its slick and the Trac DSC program is actually pretty good when the snow gets deep.
As for dependability you'll find it just as dependable if not better than any other car you've owned.
Good luck you'll love it!

Old 02-18-2010, 08:40 AM

Thanks for the input, sounds like a plan.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:59 PM

For the snow, my last duty 3 duty stations where I have owned Shaguars have been Georgia, Arizona, and Hawaii, interspersed with 4 trips to Iraq and the stan'. So I can offer you no help there. As for the reliability, I have had no problems with any of mine. Jag has a much better record for maintenance and service after the sale than merc and bimmer actually.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

You are probably going to struggle getting winter tyres for 20" rims. A set of smaller (but compatible) wheels with winter tyres on is the better bet.

These cars are made of aluminium so are fairly light on their feet. Do you really want to go out in winter with all that salt on the road in such a beautiful car ?

Old 02-23-2010, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
You are probably going to struggle getting winter tyres for 20" rims. A set of smaller (but compatible) wheels with winter tyres on is the better bet.

These cars are made of aluminium so are fairly light on their feet. Do you really want to go out in winter with all that salt on the road in such a beautiful car ?
I would prefer not to drive it in the winter, but owning an additional car is not possible.