Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question on dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 03:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts
Default Question on dash lights

Greetings all,

So as stated in my "scared to take the plunge" post, i went ahead an purchased an '07 XK.

Two things came to light driving it home that I may need to address. First is the cigarette lighter is dead (couldnt plug in my radar detector except in the glovebox) Probably a fuse or such so i'll try to hunt that down ASAP.

The second is the gas/fog/trunk-release switch cluster does not seem to be illuminated. Is this the case or do i have a burnt out bulb back there?
(also do any of the steering wheel switched illuminate?)

Thanks!
Vince

Old 01-09-2012, 07:53 AM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

fuse 16 for the power point.,wheel does have light ,check to see if the dimmer is turned down

Old 01-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

It's illuminated on my 10 -- probably a burned out bulb.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks,

F9 on my '07 Coupe was the cig lighter... sure enough blown. Fixed and happy now.

Next project will be to check the bulb on that switch cluster.

Steering wheel illumination is a different bugger all together. Airbag circuits don't scare me, but just pulling it all apart may be a job I'd rather leave the dealership. That's what I got the warranty for.

Can anyone with an '07 coupe confirm they are in-fact illuminated? I had switches on my '06 Lexus that were not, but were on the following year. We all retrofitted because we couldn't stand having them completely dark.

Thanks again for your troubles!

Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 01-09-2012 at 10:10 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 01-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Bump-

Can anyone with a 2007 confirm if the steering wheel controls are illuminated?

Thanks

Old 01-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

On my 07 coupe steering wheel controls for vol, track change and cruise are illuminated as are the shift paddles. Column stalks are not.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sjtyrer
On my 07 coupe steering wheel controls for vol, track change and cruise are illuminated as are the shift paddles. Column stalks are not.
Outstanding,
I'm now very excited to get them working...Thanks for the reply.

V

Old 01-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Vince
I've read with interest your threads and apprehension in buying the XK. Congratulations on taking the plunge.

I'm about 2 months ahead of you. I went through a similar experience prior to purchasing my 07 XK coupe. After years of owning Lexus, BMW, Audi and Mercedes this was my first time with Jaguar and I new all about their reliability record but nevertheless took the plunge.

I paid more than you-$39k incl warranty but mine has only 7k miles on it. A 5 yr old brand new car !!!

Anyhow I thought I'd share my experiences so far.

I replaced the tires with Sumitomo HTR Z III's. Very pleased $750 from tire rack. The original dunlops were hard and noisy.

Mine had the dreaded exhaust resonance at 1250 rpm that's well documented on this site. Had it fixed free of charge as a one off new customer deal. I had to get Jaguar USA involved though to get it resolved. Otherwise it's a $650 hit.

I too thought the drivers side headlight needed slightly lifting. Took me about 5 minutes. Theres a
thread on it and it's a simple fix.

Getting 19mpg

I miss some of the latest technology - better nav, iPod connection etc but when I run my hands over those curves( admit it you've done it) and press that red start button all my concerns go away. I look
forward to my weekly trip to Costco for gas and all the head turns and ' wow what a nice car. What is it' compliments.
Hope you get the steering wheel lights fix and enjoy

Steve

Old 01-14-2012, 01:59 AM
Veteran Member

A 5 yr old brand new car !!!
WOW! (You realize that you have just admitted to being a car thief on a public forum right?) What a great find!
Mine had the dreaded exhaust resonance at 1250 rpm that's well documented on this site. Had it fixed free of charge as a one off new customer deal. I had to get Jaguar USA involved though to get it resolved. Otherwise it's a $650 hit.
I've got that as well. Thought I read it was a simple bracket attached to the Transmission. Was hoping I could find a few pics of it to see how hard it would be to fabricate it (that's the handyman mechanic in me, what can I say).

My XK came with a fresh set of Mich Pilot Sport A/S, and although i have a dislike of the Michelin line over Bridgestones, they should do well as a starting winter tire. Sadly I may ask them to run the summer too while I get my funds back in some sort of order.
At some point, perhaps the start of next winter, I'll look into 18" rims (so far the smallest I have see referenced to an XK?) to get some good snow tires on (Probably the LM-60's). We are pretty luck here in Washington State, as snow rarely stays on the ground for more than a few days before our rain washes it away. That should free up the 19's for a higher performance summer tire. The Bridgestone RE-11's grip is absolutely brutal and provide a pure adrenalin rush on any back roads. Very addictive to have that much traction (Sadly they are darn noisy too.)

I miss some of the latest technology - better nav, iPod connection etc but when I run my hands over those curves( admit it you've done it) and press that red start button all my concerns go away.
Yes.... Yes i have..... (Sigh)

Thanks Steve, I look forward to more discussions with you and other owners as I learn more about the car.
More important to me right now is I just want to get out and let her stretch her legs (and wouldn't it figure, we have our first snow storm of the year blowing in in less than 24 hours....grrrrrrr) Should probably go talk to her and assure her she needs to stay indoors for a good reason.

Keep it shiny side up!
Vince

Old 01-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member

OK so had just a little time to poke around this missing back light issue, with no luck whatsoever.
Pulled the switch assembly only to discover it is no a single bulb but 6 green LEDs. This tells me I've lost the power somewhere upstream, which makes sense as the steering wheel lights are out too.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a schematic of the lighting circuit feeding these two areas? If so can you spot a common junction point or fuse (fuse is doubtful, as I checked nearly all of them, but who knows.)

Obviously I have an extended that should cover this, but I was hoping to find something quickly, and not require dropping the car off for a day.

Of interest, can I buy service manuals for the car or is it all subscription based via the internet?

Many thanks!
Vince
Thanks