Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Recommend me a car cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 10:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Recommend me a car cover

Hi all,
I searched for a bit on this but have not found what I was looking for.
I want an outdoor car cover for my 08 XKR. For those of you that have used or tried different ones, what do you recommend?
There are sooo many options when searching online.

Many Thanks!!

Old 04-22-2018, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I have used Covercraft for my Ferrari and the Jaguar. The Ferrari was an indoor cover while the Jag is good for both indoor and outdoor but I only use it indoors. My BIL also uses Covercraft for his classic Corvette's. They seem to do the job and don't hurt the paint. I can't give you an opinion on using outdoors but they worked for me. Also had a good experience with their customer service.

The following users liked this post:
Kodyw (04-23-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

If you're a Costco member, the Coverking XtremeWeave Custom Fit Car Cover Item # 11618901MPI is an excellent value.

https://costco.coverking.com/?costco_sku=CK3Q&prod=CVC and make your selections.

Be sure to check and compare the offerings of our Forum sponsors, many of whom provide discounts to Forum members.

Last edited by Stuart S; 04-22-2018 at 11:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
winstonsalemncxk (04-26-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I have used Covercraft for my Ferrari and the Jaguar. The Ferrari was an indoor cover while the Jag is good for both indoor and outdoor but I only use it indoors. My BIL also uses Covercraft for his classic Corvette's. They seem to do the job and don't hurt the paint. I can't give you an opinion on using outdoors but they worked for me. Also had a good experience with their customer service.
Several years ago, I had a Covercraft "Noah" outdoor custom fit cover for another car. The fit was perfect and the fabric was soft and thick and appeared to be very high quality. Unfortunately, it didn't stay water resistant for more than 3 or 4 months, as the car was wet after I removed the cover after a heavy rain. When wet, the cover was hard to remove because it was so heavy. I don't recommend that Noah fabric.

Truth is that you don't want a completely waterproof cover because it won't allow any condensation or moisture trapped between the car and the cover to evaporate. That trapped moisture can cause rust and other damage. Look for a breathable fabric that is water resistant.

Bottom line is that it comes down to how much you want to spend.

Old 04-22-2018, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Keep it inside or a good coat of wax. What ever cover you put on it will get dirty and will abrade the surface. It's just the nature of the beast.

Old 04-22-2018, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,156 Likes on 3,089 Posts

Last edited by Cee Jay; 04-22-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Let's be responsive to the OP's request for outdoor protection recommendations.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,156 Likes on 3,089 Posts

Some people also respond to comments that were made after the OP.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks to all for the replies. I keep my car under an open carport so rain is kept off but mainly wanting a multi purpose unit for dust and the occasional time it may be more exposed.
No Costco in my area and the Covercraft has a unit that seems to fit what I'm looking for.
I appreciate all of the responses!

Old 04-23-2018, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

You can probably order a car cover from Costco online. But if you are not a member already you will have to join for about $50.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 673 Posts

I have a truck that I keep under a carport and use a Coverking in their Silverguard Plus fabric. Its got a fleece-like lining and a silver tarp-like exterior that repels most anything. Cats like to get up high and a neighborhood cat threw up on the cover once. Even though it dried, it rinsed right off. Being a crewcab truck, the cover weighs a ton and that's my only complaint. The fit is perfect. I'll typically wash and dry the truck, then put it under the carport, hook up the CTEK battery maintainer and put on the cover when its not going to be driven for a while. NEVER install the cover after the truck has gotten dusty or dirty, rather just wait until I get around to washing it again. When the cover itself gets dusty, all I do is rinse it off and the truck stays dry underneath.

I also have a much cheaper ($79) outdoor generic fit sedan cover that I got from a Pep Boys that I keep around for occasional use. Sometimes a project will cause me to kick one of the cars outside temporarily (amazing how one car can take up three or four garage bays when its disassembled). Its got a fleece-like lining but a more fibrous or porous exterior. It tends to absorb "some" water when it gets wet but a car seems to stay dry underneath. While stuff doesn't seem to get all the way through, unlike the silver cover, anything that does get on it will soak in and stain it. It got to looking pretty bad pretty quick, permanently stained from bird droppings and everything else that falls out of trees, but still seems perfectly functional. I don't think it would last more than a year if it were in constant use.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the benefit of any UK readers whom may be seeking an outdoor cover, I can recommend the Eclipse cover from Concours Autoproducts:
Eclipse Car Cover

Their website car search facility is rubbish, but don't worry, they do make a cover for the X150 convertible. I've got one and I am very pleased with it. Good quality, good fit, seems robust but not too bulky / heavy when fitting / removing. One tip: follow their advice and fit it over the wing mirrors first when fitting - stops it blowing off - and then pull back and fit over the rear of the car before the front. It just fits better that way! It might be a good idea to tie a conspicuous tape / rag or something through the front eyelet to show which is the front.

When removing, release it from the front / back and then fold the sides up and tuck them underneath so that it is folded 'inside in', to stop getting any dust / grit on the inside, before rolling it up along the car from both ends. Well, that's the way that works best for me!

This cover was recommended by Auto Express:
Best outdoor car covers 2018 | Auto Express

and I have a lot of regard for their comparative tests of all sorts of car products - usually more useful than Which? magazine.