XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Remote Handset not working fully!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 09:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Handset not working fully!!!

Good Morning!! Recently bought a 2008 xk con. All icons on the handset work except the lst one, the "lock" icon. When I hit that button sometimes a noise is heard and the side mirrors do go back. But, the door does not lock!! The handset is old and the lst icon is really faded. Do I need a new handset, or is there something wrong in the door, hopefully not. Thanks for any help. Jim

Old 08-23-2016, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

By "handset" I assume you mean "Smart Key", but that's fine.
How about the Passenger door? Does that one lock? If it does indeed lock, then your problem is almost definitely the door. Can you lock it from the inside (push the handle into the door card) and open it from the outside? Depending on the Vehicle settings, does it lock when up to speed??? Can it THEN be opened from the outside handle???
Try those scenario and let us know the results.
Also, if you put your vehicle info into a signature it would negate the need to state what it is in your narrative. Plus, it would look cooler.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:10 AM

C Jay, thanks for the info. No, the passenger door does not lock when i push the lock icon on the remote handset. That's what it is called in the owners manual and it does have a key enclosed. Others call it a key phobe is that the correct phrase? A new one can cost closed to $400, but others on the internet, new and used run between $40 and $99. I can lock both doors by pushing in on the inside door lock. Not sure if someone pulls on the outside door handle if it really is locked. Will check it out. Think just the handset may need replacing and then programmed. thanks, jim

Old 08-23-2016, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Old remotes that have no Smart capabilities but only lock and unlock are called FOB or Fobs.
Anyway, each Jaguar Smart Key is only good for the original vehicle, so if you buy a used one from anywhere it probably won't be able to get trained to your car. There is a procedure to mate it, but unless you know EXACTLY what you get with a used key, you probably will lose all your $$$.
Best/safest way to replace a Smart Key is to suck it up and pay the dealer. $400 sounds about normal.
HOWEVER......... since the mirrors fold it may not be the Smart Key. The .... I don't know which module.... Body Control Module??? ...... may need reprogramming, which would probably be cheaper than a new key.
Let's hope Steve-aka-WhiteXKR sees this, he'd know better than I would. He's about a guru with this stuff.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

ALSO, just a shot in the dark here..... you COULD try to do a Hard Reset by disconnecting both battery cables and touching the cables together for a few seconds then reinstalling them on the battery. This resets all the volatile memory. The windows would need to be retrained and the convertible top run through a cycle afterwards.
Window train, with convertible top UP, is hold either the UP or DOWN, depending on current position, until five seconds LONGER than when the window is full travel, then the opposite direction for another five seconds longer than full travel. Both sides.
May/Probably won't work, but worth a shot?

Last edited by Cee Jay; 08-23-2016 at 11:24 AM. Reason: info
Old 08-23-2016, 11:59 AM

HI, again and thanks. Since we last "talked" I found that locking the inside locks does indeed lock the door from the outside. And, when I start to drive it also automatically locks. Also, my used car dealer told me he will send over a jag smart key guy he uses and he will give me a new smart key and reprogram it for me!! The dealer, a small, upscale family-owned business selling high end cars said he will pay for it since the door locks should have been working when i bought the car. The car did pass Va. inspection which includes the doors functioning properly. So, maybe a dodged a financial bullet? Stay tuned. Jim thanks, again.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Well, cool you found out and even cooler that the dealer will take care of it, saving you not only a hassle but also possibly quite a bit of coin.
Me, I still think MAYBE it has a control module problem because the mirrors fold. But then again, I'm not a Jag Smart Key guy so don't listen to me too much.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:20 PM

Hi, Seeing is believing!! He's do here in an hour. Will let you know the outcome!! thanks, jim

Old 08-23-2016, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

Originally Posted by jagman43
Good Morning!! Recently bought a 2008 xk con. All icons on the handset work except the lst one, the "lock" icon. When I hit that button sometimes a noise is heard and the side mirrors do go back. But, the door does not lock!!
Are you sure its really not locking?
If you still have the fob with you, and pull on the door handle, the door will unlock.
Try locking the car with the fob, move the fob to at least 30 feet away, and then pull on the door handle.

But since you've got a guy coming to 'fix' it, it should get sorted out.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

jagman43,

lk07xk is right. As you approach the car with the smartkey in your pocket, it is recognized by the car and the car wakes up and goes into "convenience mode", so that when you pull the door handle it opens; you don't have to press the unlock button on the smartkey. But if you use the smartkey to lock your car, and then pull the door handle to confirm that it is locked, the door will open and you will think the lock function doesn't work.

Your smartkey is probably OK. You just didn't realize that if that key is in your pocket you can't pull the door handle to confirm that it's locked.

You should always lock your car, even when parked in your garage, to shut down convenience mode. Otherwise, the computers will continue to run for about 20 minutes and possibly drain your battery. Also, consider using a quality battery maintainer, such as a CTEK 4.3MUS, which is available on Amazon. Search this forum for details.

Stuart

Old 08-23-2016, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Not quite. The car doesn't know you are there until you try and open it:

When either door handle is pulled or the external trunk release button is pressed, the KVM activates the low-frequency antenna at the point of access (either door or trunk). If the Smart Key is within 1.0 meter (3.3 ft.) of the active low-frequency antenna, the Smart Key will transmit a high frequency signal which is received by the antenna above the roof console. If the Smart Key's code is recognized, the vehicle will unlock the doors and disarm the security system when accessing a door. If the trunk is being accessed, the trunk will release but the alarm will remain in an armed state.

The vehicle is locked by pressing the button located on either exterior door handle. Pressing the button will activate the low-frequency antenna within the handle. If the Smart Key is within 1.0 meter (3.3 ft.) of the active low-frequency antenna, the Smart Key will transmit a high frequency signal which is received by the antenna above the roof console. If the Smart Key's code is recognized, both doors will lock and the security system will be armed.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (08-24-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 08:07 AM

As your Baird said "all's well that ends well." Thanks, you hit the nail right on the head.
I followed your advice and it works perfectly. Also, kudos to all whom helped including stuart s and u1o2768 and C Gee, I believe. What a great website. Jim