XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Removing cowl vent/"scuttle" panel

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 03:49 AM
Received 194 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Removing cowl vent/"scuttle" panel

My windscreen washer hose has become detached from the connection under the passenger-side wiper and it looks like I'll need to remove the scuttle panel (referred to as the cowl vent panel in the workshop manual) in order to reattach. Obviously the wiper arms and hoses need to come off first, that looks simple enough, the manual then only says to "Release the retaining clip" and then "release the 3 clips" with little indication of where they are or whether they just pull free or need some other sort of manipulation to release.

Anyone had to do this before? Any good advice regarding removing this panel without breaking it or any of the retaining clips?

Old 11-12-2018, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,895 Likes on 1,286 Posts

I don’t recall clips, but its been several years since I had to do that same repair. I think pulling straight up on the cowling released the clips (if they were there).
The main problem I had, is that the top edge of the cowling is glued down on the windshield (its some sort of black gooey sealant), making it harder than it should be to lift the cowling.
I didn’t remove the whole thing, just pryed it up enough on the passenger side to see what was going on, and reach in to reconnect the hose. I did put a small hose clamp on it (from a drip irrigation kit) to keep it from falling off again.
After fixing the hose, I just pressed the cowling back down, no need to add additional sealant.

The following users liked this post:
8bit (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
(its some sort of black gooey sealant), making it harder than it should be to lift the cowling.
I haven't had to do anything around this area yet, but the substance your referring to is probably Butyl... Commonly used in the auto industry for all kinds of things, great product....

The following users liked this post:
8bit (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 04:22 PM
Received 194 Likes on 123 Posts

I managed to get underneath the scuttle tonight to get the hose reconnected - an easy job for a person with small, neat hands, unfortunately I'm not that person so it was a bit of a pig but got the hose reconnected in the end. Initially I still didn't see any fluid from the passenger side jet but realised it was coming from the bottom hole, just not the main spray so I had another look at the main nozzle and played with the slot-head screw and not all jets are working. I didn't have a small enough hose fastener to hand so just pushed it all back into place for now but hopefully it holds and if not I know how to get back in about it all. Thanks again for the help guys.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:35 PM
Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

As was mentioned above, to remove the cowl panel I had to pull it free of the glue that held it to the base of the windshield... and now I can't get it to reattach properly. The reinstalled plastic cowl doesn't press tightly against the windshield, so debris falls into the crack and the cowl flaps a bit at high speeds. Have any of you found a fix for this?

PS -- the black plastic cowl panel has faded over time to a dark gray. Any recommendations for restoring that part to match the cowl panels that aren't exposed to sunlight?

Old 07-10-2019, 09:57 PM
Received 695 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by tractioninc
As was mentioned above, to remove the cowl panel I had to pull it free of the glue that held it to the base of the windshield... and now I can't get it to reattach properly. The reinstalled plastic cowl doesn't press tightly against the windshield, so debris falls into the crack and the cowl flaps a bit at high speeds. Have any of you found a fix for this?

PS -- the black plastic cowl panel has faded over time to a dark gray. Any recommendations for restoring that part to match the cowl panels that aren't exposed to sunlight?
I just removed and painted mine a few weeks ago. A can of black bumper paint from the auto store worked well.

Not sure if the 5.0 models are the same, but the 4.2 panel has 1 long 'clip' that runs the entire length. Take a plastic trim tool and run it along the panel to release the glue. Then do it again to pry up the panel from the long clip. The 3 single clips will pop up as you go.

If painting the panel, mask off the rubber part that presses down on the windshield. It is flexible and the paint will chip off right away.

The following 2 users liked this post by gkubrak:
kj07xk (07-11-2019), pwpacp (07-11-2019)