XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replace battery without losing settings

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replace battery without losing settings

Thinking it's time to replace my battery in 07 XK. If I do it quickly will I still lose all my settings, phone contacts, etc? I thought I read somewhere how the mechanics at the dealer hook up the terminal wires to some type of backup battery during the process to prevent losing everything. But there still must be a few seconds where there is no power. I have a lawn tractor battery that I could hook up to keep some juice flowing, would that work?
Any advice appreciated.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

It might work if your tractor battery is 12v and you used alligator clips to securely connect those cables, + to + and - to -. But if a clip were to come loose, you might lose some, if not all, of your electronic memories. Why take that chance, when for under $20 you can do it right?

Amazon sells several devices that claim to prevent the loss of electronic memory when changing the battery. They're all under $20. Some plug into your cigarette lighter socket, and others plug into your OBDII port. I'm a bit leery of the ones that use a 9v battery and plug into your cigarette lighter socket - they might not work as well as the ones that plug into your OBDII port and use a 12v source. Since you plug this in BEFORE you disconnect your battery, there is no interruption in power when you remove that old battery and your electronic memories are (hopefully) retained.

This one plugs into the OBDII port of the car whose battery you will change and has a coiled extension cord that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket of an adjacent car. Just make sure that cigarette lighter socket is on. Here's the link: Amazon.com: E-Z RED (EZRMSBD28) Auto Memory Saver: Home Improvement

This one also plugs into the OBDII port but has a 6' lead to reach the other car's socket: http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-INC...ref=pd_cp_hi_2

These are just 2 of the memory savers on Amazon. Let us know if you decided to buy one and how it worked. As a precaution, I suggest you write down every setting that is important to you just in case it doesn't work and you have to manually reset everything.
Good luck!

Last edited by Stuart S; 01-05-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:43 PM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Old Faithful

Stuart does have some great devices there but I did mine the old fashioned way and hooked jumper cables from an adjacent car to the battery cables before removing them from the battery that was being replaced.

Worked like a charm.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

both sound like good ideas. thanks guys

Old 01-07-2012, 06:17 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just replaced my battery on my 08 and the only thing I lost was the Trip A/B data and I had to re-index the windows. All else remained.

Tom

Old 01-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Just attach your 12V Battery charger to the charge points in the trunk or under your rear hatch before you unhook your Battery...........you should not lose any data.

Adrian

Old 01-10-2012, 08:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems a bit odd this, my 07 XKR keeps the phone contacts on my phone and connects with bluetooth, so no loss of data there, most phones would have the data on the SIM card, anyway...so it should retain all data with or without a battery. the car settings I don't think are a bg deal as they should remain the same (I disconnected my battery for 2 days and apart from a "reset" period of 20 miles or so I had no issues) there is also an amount of time that data will remain in memory when you disconnect the old battery. Just my 2c