Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replaced all pads Easy procedure but soft pedal after

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 01:16 AM
Sponsor
Received 418 Likes on 249 Posts
Default Replaced all pads Easy procedure but soft pedal after

Replaced all my brakes a few days ago on a 08 XKR.
Glad I got a cheap caliper compression tool $8 at Orailes, made the job much easier
the rear caliper cylinder can be easily rotated with bi-scripts while using the compression tool, so no special tool is needed as was suggested by some.
Rear have 2x 7mm allen and front have 2x 9mm allen
easy removal and replacement of the pads
After pads installed, did pads burn in procedure as recommended by manufacturer. Now put on 50miles and brake pedal feels a lot softer and brakes dont grip well compared to before replacement.
anyone experience this? are the pads still not quite broken in?

Old 05-11-2016, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

I'd be giving my cat a brake fluid flush hopefully that should fix the issue

Old 05-11-2016, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Do you feel a soft peddle or a softer peddle. Depending on the pad type will determine the peddle feel or grab. I assume you used your old rotors and if so did you scuff them with something like scotch brite pads to get the old brake material off. Also do we assume you didn't open up the bleeder valves during the change and if so did you bleed the system. Spongy peddle is also the result of air in the system. If the brakes worked well before they should work pretty much the same now. What was the break in procedure you used.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

You'll need to do a pressure bleed on the brakes.

On my Lotus, they recommend brake fluid flush annually.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:18 PM
Sponsor

I guess its soft braking that im feeling. I put new pads on used rotors , didn't think it was going to be an issue. Did not open or bled the lines at all. Did 4 runs 40-5mph and 4 50-10mph for the break in. So far after few days of driving I do think the braking is improving so hopefully its just the settling of the pads to rotors that was the problem

Old 05-12-2016, 04:36 PM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

It is not necessary to open the hydraulic system for the brakes when renewing the pads, unless the fluid is being replaced.

The reason for the 'soft pedal' is the pads not completely conforming to the surface of the brake rotors.

Were the rotor thicknesses checked and run-out measured? As some rotors wear, they develop a slightly concave surface causing the new pads to only touch along the top and bottom edges.

The following 2 users liked this post by NBCat:
Queen and Country (05-13-2016), Sean W (05-13-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NBCat
It is not necessary to open the hydraulic system for the brakes when renewing the pads, unless the fluid is being replaced.

The reason for the 'soft pedal' is the pads not completely conforming to the surface of the brake rotors.

Were the rotor thicknesses checked and run-out measured? As some rotors wear, they develop a slightly concave surface causing the new pads to only touch along the top and bottom edges.
NB cat is correct

Old 05-12-2016, 05:20 PM
Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

This is what a rotor with lips looks like .........................

Pads can't sit flat between the lips.....................

The following users liked this post:
NBCat (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 05:52 PM
Sponsor

Yes there is a lip although its not a large as the one that is pictured.
I should of resurfaced the rotors I guess fingers crossed that rotors dont get warped and pads confirm

Old 05-12-2016, 05:53 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by NBCat

didnt measure them..

Old 05-12-2016, 06:49 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd check to make sure you don't have a brake fluid leak somewhere near the calipers. If you are leaking fluid on the rotors you will lose a lot of stopping power. And you will have a mushy pedal too.

Govtslug

Old 05-12-2016, 09:16 PM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

I had the same experience as you are having on another car. My mechanic said that the pads needed to be bedded in. After a couple of weeks the brake feel came back and it felt good as new. Maybe drive it around for a couple of weeks first and see how it goes before you do anything.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Did you install ceramic pads? If so they do not have the harsh grip like the OEM pads. When you say soft pedal do you mean it keeps going down while pressing the brake at a full stop? Does it remain firm? If it remains firm then that is the way it works.

What you might be experiencing is just the soft initial grip of ceramic pads which takes some getting used to, but once you are the stopping power is not compromised.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:09 AM
Veteran Member

I just did the lot of my Cat including front pads , rotors with rebuilt calipers due to a sticking piston
The rear got pads and rotors

Attached Thumbnails Replaced all pads Easy procedure but soft pedal after-photo207.jpg   Replaced all pads Easy procedure but soft pedal after-photo173.jpg   Replaced all pads Easy procedure but soft pedal after-photo630.jpg   Replaced all pads Easy procedure but soft pedal after-photo230.jpg  
Old 05-15-2016, 01:39 AM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks good, Steve.

On the rears, did you just pull the battery and allow the system to reset the handbrake itself, or did you use the SDD/Mongoose tool ?

I can't get Mongoose to work so will likely go the battery/reset route myself

Old 05-15-2016, 02:26 AM
Veteran Member

No need to pull the battery as the vehicle doesn't automatically engage the electronic handbrake unlike the Citroen I just did recently

Make sure you have a calliper wind back kit handy and after every pad change I apply the brake pedal then move over to the other side

Old 05-15-2016, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
I just did the lot of my Cat including front pads , rotors with rebuilt calipers due to a sticking piston
The rear got pads and rotors
I somehow missed that you replaced the calipers . That being the case it means you broke open the system and needed to bleed the brakes after reassembly. If you still get a soft peddle I would suggest you may still have air in the system. Do we assume you bled all 4 corners after the replacement.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:02 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

When I eventually change pads (and possibly rotors), I actually want to end up with less bite. I hate how touchy my brakes are and want to gain some modulation.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:52 AM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I somehow missed that you replaced the calipers . That being the case it means you broke open the system and needed to bleed the brakes after reassembly. If you still get a soft peddle I would suggest you may still have air in the system. Do we assume you bled all 4 corners after the replacement.
He is not the OP, but posted photos of work on his own car.

The OP just replaced the pads and claimed to have a 'spongy pedal' afterwards.

The following users liked this post:
jagtoes (05-15-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 06:08 PM
Sponsor
Default brakes now better but found out rear rotors might need to be replaced

Thank you all for your replies and input.
So after driving for a few hundred miles over the weekend brakes definitely improved, but feel is different I'm assuming to ceramic brakes vs OEM. The brakes feel softer during initial braking but do bite down under harder braking.
Before my weekend trip I went to get wheels rebalance and decided to double check the brakes and rotors and found out that I might of missed that rear rotors have a good size lip and appear pretty thin. I do think now that I should replace the tears. Here is the photos. .

Last edited by AlexJag; 05-15-2016 at 06:24 PM. Reason: pics

Quick Reply: Replaced all pads Easy procedure but soft pedal after