XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replacement brake questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement brake questions

Just back from the dealer and they have recommended a front brake pad and rotor replacement plus brake fluid / flush and replacement.
The XKR Portfolio, 2009 (Non Alcon brakes) does have over 30K miles so perhaps I should not be surprised. What did surprise me was the fluid replacement on a 2009 ? Then what really surprised me was the cost $1011 !!!!! Oh my, need to get that cost down = searching for good after market or lower cost OEM products.

So, I searched the forum and can't find answers to- "what are good replacement rotors and pads". Perhaps there are not that many 2007+ that have changed front brakes ? Or perhaps all other Jag owners have money to burn ?
I saw the ceramic vs semi metallic - dust vs less dust threads/comments. But what I am really looking for is anyone who has changed front rotors and pads on a 2007 + XKR and if they have any recommendations on both the rotors and pads (and any parts providers) as I can't seem to get much "users" info. Regular driver - no track, drive an XKR as a regular about town car so not thinking about ceramics with their "harder pedal and warm up needed".

And oh yes.... Anyone think it weird to change brake fluid on a two year old vehicle ?

Old 06-08-2011, 12:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default replacement brake questions

I just replaced 4 rotors and front pads (back pads were like new) Did the job in my garage for $600.00 CAN which included painting the calipers. Rotors are NAPA ultra premium groved with a rust prufe coating(nichel alloy or something). I think they are as good or better than what I could get at the jag dealer. They wanted $253.00 each there. The pads are Wagner Thermo Quiet semi metallic from Bumper to Bumper Auto Parts. I think I paid $44.00. While I was at it I replaced the air filter (behind the wheel well liner) cost $33.00 from Bumper to Bumper. Looks exactly like the one that came out and that one came from Florida, I am in Alberta Can. Makes you wonder how many part manufacturers there are making this stuff. I tell you look around this stuff is not rocket science. You do not have to go to Jag for parts, it is available elsewhere. Point of interest, when I was checking for pads, I was told that the cermaic type parts # had been reverted to a semi metallic part #, in other words the cermaic where not listed as available for the 07 XK

The following users liked this post:
mt1962 (06-08-2011)
Old 06-08-2011, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

There are several good brands. I use EBC Redstuff pads, others don't like them. For me they are low dust, don't squeal and the braking/stopping is excellent. They are a combination of Kevlar and Ceramic particles. I replaced my wife's pads with EBC Redstuff and her first reaction after driving was "wow - they really stop." I have to wash her wheels every 3 to 4 weeks, and they are lightly coated with dust.

Akebono pads have been mentioned a lot and seem to be popular.

You can find the pads and rotors online from several places.

As to the brake fluid, if you need new pads on an 09 there has obviously been some serious braking...a lot of stop and go driving? If the fluid has been subjected to heavy braking and has gotten really hot, your pedal feels mushy and you have alot of travel you should replace it. The dealer could have just been trying to get more business. The fluid has to be inspected to determine if it *really* needs to be replaced. However, there is one thing for sure - replacing the fluid will not hurt anything.

Originally Posted by mt1962
Just back from the dealer and they have recommended a front brake pad and rotor replacement plus brake fluid / flush and replacement.
The XKR Portfolio, 2009 (Non Alcon brakes) does have over 30K miles so perhaps I should not be surprised. What did surprise me was the fluid replacement on a 2009 ? Then what really surprised me was the cost $1011 !!!!! Oh my, need to get that cost down = searching for good after market or lower cost OEM products.

So, I searched the forum and can't find answers to- "what are good replacement rotors and pads". Perhaps there are not that many 2007+ that have changed front brakes ? Or perhaps all other Jag owners have money to burn ?
I saw the ceramic vs semi metallic - dust vs less dust threads/comments. But what I am really looking for is anyone who has changed front rotors and pads on a 2007 + XKR and if they have any recommendations on both the rotors and pads (and any parts providers) as I can't seem to get much "users" info. Regular driver - no track, drive an XKR as a regular about town car so not thinking about ceramics with their "harder pedal and warm up needed".

And oh yes.... Anyone think it weird to change brake fluid on a two year old vehicle ?

Old 06-08-2011, 10:38 AM

Thanks for the feedback PBCS004. I appreciate it as you are also in Alberta which makes the parts sourcing a little easier for me being in Calgary.
Any "tricks of the trade" with respect to the front rotor replacement. I only have had the car one week so learning it. Changed pads and rotors on other vehicles - just wondering if anything to watch for.
Interesting to hear you painted the calipers - guess you took everything apart. Did you send them out or paint yourself ?

Old 06-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Default replacement brake questions

in all fairness to my brother-in-law he did most of the work on the brake replacement but I paid for everything including the beer. I bought two jags he drives the 99 XK8 and I drive the 07 XK. He is now the designated mechanic. The installation was not any different than a Chevy or Ford, unless we missed something. The test drive so far turned out perfect. As far as the painting is concerned the parts that come off we painted on the bench but the main caliper was left on and painted in place. We did not want to disconnect the brake lines. We bought brake parts cleaner and wire brushed and sprayed clean everything and put on multible coats of special paint from NAPA. Looks great.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:42 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I also suggest always at least checking AutohausAZ in Arizona...they always have oem or better stuff at very good prices.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:20 PM

In the end, finding the right parts from one source was a problem. NAPA could get the pads but not the rotors, Bumper to Bumper never called back, Canadian Tire could get pads but not rotors.
So went to the website advertised on this forum - Brakeperformance.com and ordered the premium drilled, slotted rotors with pads included.
Will post how the experience went and performance when I have some useful feedback.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:20 AM

Let me "Requote"Your nephew and little sister seem to have taken a big likening to the XK8 so we better go shoping for the machanic !!

Old 04-16-2012, 02:14 AM
Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mt1962
In the end, finding the right parts from one source was a problem. NAPA could get the pads but not the rotors, Bumper to Bumper never called back, Canadian Tire could get pads but not rotors.
So went to the website advertised on this forum - Brakeperformance.com and ordered the premium drilled, slotted rotors with pads included.
Will post how the experience went and performance when I have some useful feedback.

howd the brakes from brakeperformance.com work out?
if any1 else ever installed these breaks please feel free to chime in with how these worked out.
need new rear brakes & rotors for the XK, figured these might be a decent upgrade. any thoughts?

thanks in advance people.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Akebono only makes rear pads for +07 XK... I really want to replace the OEM pads with something less dusty. Any suggestions? I am happy with the rotors.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

A Fluid flush is an annual thing for me as I am an aggressive driver, But Jag recomends every two years.....

Vince

BTW: A brake flush is a very "Basic" task for any auto mechanic and a quality job with top of the line brake fluid (Ate Super Blue) can be had for under $200.

Tools to do it yourself cost around 50 bucks or so....

Last edited by CleverName; 04-16-2012 at 02:03 PM.