XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Replacement CTEK MX5

 
  #1  
Old 03-10-2019, 06:46 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: EDINBURGH .UK.
Posts: 61
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Replacement CTEK MX5

Replaced my ctek recently as the original was playing up. The battery is fine, but the new Ctek wonít move above position 4. Is it faulty or is there another answer.?
 

Last edited by GGG; 03-10-2019 at 03:30 PM.
  #2  
Old 03-10-2019, 08:07 AM
jagtoes's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 4,660
Received 1,298 Likes on 981 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jagst View Post
Replaced my ctek recently as the original was playing up. The battery is fine, but the new Ctek wonít move above position 4. Is it faulty or is there another answer.?
Check the battery voltage again and see if you need to charge it. Also put the Ctek on another car and see if you get the same results. If so send it back and if it is OK then your Jag battery might be bad or the way you hooked it up needs to be looked at. Let us know what you find out.
 
  #3  
Old 03-10-2019, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,523
Received 255 Likes on 209 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jagtoes View Post
Check the battery voltage again and see if you need to charge it. Also put the Ctek on another car and see if you get the same results. If so send it back and if it is OK then your Jag battery might be bad or the way you hooked it up needs to be looked at. Let us know what you find out.
I agree with this suggestion. Not impossible but unlikely to have a faulty CTEK. More probable to have a faulty battery. Try charging another car and then youíll have a definitive answer.
 
  #4  
Old 03-10-2019, 03:28 PM
SLazz's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 170
Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bocatrip View Post

I agree with this suggestion. Not impossible but unlikely to have a faulty CTEK. More probable to have a faulty battery. Try charging another car and then youíll have a definitive answer.
My CTEK 3300 is less than a month old and it is defective. The tender starts out charging with a solid red charge light the switches to green. It's fully charged. Then the CTEK starts flashing red continuously with the green light solidly lit. It's my understanding this is not normal. So, I'm sending the sucker back for warranty work. BTW, my battery is less than a year old. Good luck to the OP with his issue.
 
  #5  
Old 03-10-2019, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, Canada
Posts: 1,677
Received 694 Likes on 509 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SLazz View Post
My CTEK 3300 is less than a month old and it is defective. The tender starts out charging with a solid red charge light the switches to green. It's fully charged. Then the CTEK starts flashing red continuously with the green light solidly lit. It's my understanding this is not normal. So, I'm sending the sucker back for warranty work. BTW, my battery is less than a year old. Good luck to the OP with his issue.
And the CTEK manual that came with your unit says what regarding the flashing red light? It is, as has been suggested, unlikely that the CTEK unit is faulty - but not impossible.
 
  #6  
Old 03-10-2019, 03:59 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: EDINBURGH .UK.
Posts: 61
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Yesterday it did not move past 4, today following a 50 mile drive after 5 hours it finally completed its cycle!!! Definitely different to my last Ctek.
 
  #7  
Old 03-10-2019, 04:00 PM
Stuart S's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta suburbs
Posts: 5,274
Received 2,219 Likes on 1,441 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jagst View Post
Replaced my ctek recently as the original was playing up. The battery is fine, but the new Ctek wonít move above position 4. Is it faulty or is there another answer.?
Is your CTEK connected directly to your battery's positive and negative battery terminals? If so, that's incorrect.

For 5.0L models, the negative CTEK terminal must be connected to a chassis ground. Otherwise, the Battery Monitoring System won't work properly.
 
  #8  
Old 03-10-2019, 04:00 PM
SLazz's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 170
Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sov211 View Post


And the CTEK manual that came with your unit says what regarding the flashing red light? It is, as has been suggested, unlikely that the CTEK unit is faulty - but not impossible.
According to the CTEK Manual the flashing red light should not constantly flash. An occasional flicker means the battery tender is doing its job while the flashing light could be a possible fault in the tender. At least that's what the CTEK Tech guy told me. He also told me to send the thing in.
 
  #9  
Old 03-10-2019, 10:02 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Arizona
Posts: 23
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

My CTEK has been hooked up directly to the battery for almost 2 years without any issue.
 
The following users liked this post:
MarkyUK (03-11-2019)
  #10  
Old 03-10-2019, 11:12 PM
Stuart S's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta suburbs
Posts: 5,274
Received 2,219 Likes on 1,441 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by riverman View Post
My CTEK has been hooked up directly to the battery for almost 2 years without any issue.
You're playing Russian roulette with your 2010 XKRs charging system by connecting the negative CTEK terminal to the negative battery terminal. That's contrary to what Jaguar recommends.


Attached to the negative battery terminal is a Battery Monitoring System control module that is linked to the ECM . If you connect the negative charger terminal to the negative battery terminal you risk damaging that control module as well as the ECM. The negative charger lead should be connected to a body ground to bypass that control module. This applies to 5.0L X150 models.

For details, see:
https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=88788
 

Last edited by Stuart S; 03-10-2019 at 11:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
old_dawg (04-07-2019)
  #11  
Old 03-11-2019, 12:16 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Arizona
Posts: 23
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Great Documentation

Thanks Stuart for providing the documentation below. It's an excellent resource. I wish had seen it earlier today so that when I was topping off my battery I could have corrected my install. I did figure out a way of checking the fluid level by using an inverted glass eye dropper with the rubber bulb removed. It was relatively easy to see exactly how much liquid there was above the plates by dipping it in, holding my finger on the end and then pulling it out enough to look.

Originally Posted by Stuart S View Post
You're playing Russian roulette with your 2010 XKRs charging system by connecting the negative CTEK terminal to the negative battery terminal. That's contrary to what Jaguar recommends.


Attached to the negative battery terminal is a Battery Monitoring System control module that is linked to the ECM . If you connect the negative charger terminal to the negative battery terminal you risk damaging that control module as well as the ECM. The negative charger lead should be connected to a body ground to bypass that control module. This applies to 5.0L X150 models.

For details, see:
https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=88788
 
  #12  
Old 03-11-2019, 08:17 AM
arenaej's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Coatesville, PA
Posts: 53
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default


This from the installation instructions for CTEK Multi US 3300 charger.
 
  #13  
Old 04-06-2019, 05:59 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Arizona
Posts: 23
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Documentation I moved the negative lead off of the battery terminal today. I didn't find a body mount point to secure the ground in the area indicated, (I have a convertible,) so I had to opt for next best ground I could find which was on the battery hold down with a couple washters sandwiching the connector. A zip tie and tidy routing for the leads keep them out of the way. Buttoned up the trunk after. Thanks again Stuart S, the documentation you provided was helpful to understanding the problem and how to solve it.
 
  #14  
Old 04-06-2019, 08:38 PM
Stuart S's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta suburbs
Posts: 5,274
Received 2,219 Likes on 1,441 Posts
Default

I'm pretty sure that you can attach your CTEK to the remote battery terminals in the trunk (boot), instead of attaching the red positive lead directly to the positive battery terminal and trying to find a chassis ground. I know that the remote battery terminals work for charging a 4.2L because that's how I attached my battery maintainer using the alligator clips.

The positive remote battery terminal is in the trunk on the left side behind a black plastic panel, and the negative remote terminal is in the spare tire compartment towards the rear of the car and near the center. For details, including photos, see: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lay-ups-73471/ and my posts ##17, 18, and particularly #21 with photos.
 
  #15  
Old 04-06-2019, 08:44 PM
jagtoes's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 4,660
Received 1,298 Likes on 981 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by riverman View Post
Documentation I moved the negative lead off of the battery terminal today. I didn't find a body mount point to secure the ground in the area indicated, (I have a convertible,) so I had to opt for next best ground I could find which was on the battery hold down with a couple washters sandwiching the connector. A zip tie and tidy routing for the leads keep them out of the way. Buttoned up the trunk after. Thanks again Stuart S, the documentation you provided was helpful to understanding the problem and how to solve it.
I attached my negative wire to a screw on the chassis that holds the modules to the right of the battery.
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
AbyJag
Non-Jaguar Vehicles
5
09-24-2016 11:46 PM
teambugsplat
New Member Area - Intro a MUST
11
08-16-2016 05:21 AM
tanngo
XK8 / XKR ( X100 )
4
09-13-2014 05:41 PM
GGG
General Tech Help
7
11-21-2013 02:36 AM
RCG
XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 )
2
10-06-2013 08:13 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacement CTEK MX5


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: