XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Requesting paid veteran assistance with choosing a first X150

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

You seem like a guy that would cherish the daylights out of an XKR.
It behooves you to find a keeper.
inventor is non existent at the moment. wait if you can, prices will get better in a recession.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TraxtarXKR

I am currently favoring the lunar grey car at the dealership.
I like it the best of your list.
Negotiate hard.

I have never heard of a XK needing a driveshaft. What's that all about?

I know someone at that dealership. Larry Garber, good guy, makes the experience classy, which is worth something in my books.
Yeah there are a few things extra with this car. You know the pedigree and you will be experiencing the same thing that the new buyer did, including possibly a warranty if you can negotiate it.
I dont know about you, I put different price on a burger served at the Ritz vs one at the gas station.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 06-05-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:49 PM
Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

PM sent.

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (06-05-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 02:05 PM
Sponsor
Received 418 Likes on 249 Posts

Just my 2 cents . I have had my 08 xkr which is tuned and is no slower than a 5.0 xkrs. Had the car for 3 years , was thinking to upgrade to the 5.0 but honestly after reading about so many engine problems and complete engine failures Its like gambling and i dont want to take the risk. I would definitely tune the 5.0 to make even more power otherwise Im not really upgrading as my 4.2 is making similar power to 5.0 and looks are very similar, but with the tune 5.0 would apear even more risky. My friend's stock 2010 xkr with under 40k miles engine blew up while he was driving on the highway, no warning signs.

I guess i would consider another car before going with a 5.0 version unless there is a solid warranty or get a 4.2 xkr and tune it if you want the same power as the 5.0 has

2013 XJ 5.0 Supercharged, (stock with Alpha Jag ECU tune), estimated power: 600+ hp, 7.7sec 1.8th mi/95mph

Last edited by AlexJag; 06-10-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Ranchero50 (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexJag
Just my 2 cents . I have had my 08 xkr which is tuned and is no slower than a 5.0 xkrs. Had the car for 3 years , was thinking to upgrade to the 5.0 but honestly after reading about so many engine problems and complete engine failures Its like gambling and i dont want to take the risk. I would definitely tune the 5.0 to make even more power otherwise Im not really upgrading as my 4.2 is making similar power to 5.0 and looks are very similar, but with the tune 5.0 would apear even more risky. My friend's stock 2010 xkr with under 40k miles engine blew up while he was driving on the highway, no warning signs.

I guess i would consider another car before going with a 5.0 version unless there is a solid warranty or get a 4.2 xkr and tune it if you want the same power as the 5.0 has
Speculation on your part. Until there is data to support your speculation it is hard to believe there is a problem with these motors. I would have to see the total number of 5.0 N/A or S/C engines made whether it be for XK's or any other model Jaguar or LR. If the data shows above normal engine failure then I would believe there is a problem. A few failures on this form without knowing the cause is not necessarily a trend or problem. What causes have we seen here , overheat , low oil , timing chain tensioner . Also because the WP fails there isn't a reason to blow the engine. I realize this data would be difficult sort out so we'll just have to make up our own mind on if it's a problem.

The following 2 users liked this post by jagtoes:
Cee Jay (06-10-2019), ralphwg (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 05:56 PM

I've decided to move forward on the 2013 XKR Special Edition with navy interior. I have negotiated the price to a fair number, and they are doing the transmission drain/refill for new filter and sealing sleeve, replacing the water pump, and replacing the thermostat (while your at it for water pump) as maintenance items before delivery. I can handle e-diff fluid change myself, but I'm going to ask for that as well in the final hour and hope for the best.

I have asked them to send me part numbers for what they are going to install, pictures of the work being done (I have been screwed before on work 'claimed' to have been done, but wasn't), and include the old parts in a box so I can inspect them.

I've been browsing the forums trying to find the correct part numbers they should be installing, along with other recommended replacement items that should be considered (including the correct fluids). I feel like those items should be in a sticky since they're important for any new buyer to consider.

Can anyone point me to some good links for part numbers and also recommend any additional parts that should be replaced while these items are being taken care of?

Thanks very much.

Queen and Country (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 07:00 PM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

If the S/C is making noise like rocks in a clothes dryer, then the S/C torsion isolator s/b replaced.

Also have them take some pics to send to you of the leather covered dash to see if there is any lifting/bubbling especially around the top center vent.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:09 PM

Here's my current discussion with the dealer:

Work:

Here is the summary of the work we discussed, and other outstanding items still to be addressed:

1) Water pump (I believe this job also includes a revised coolant tubes and o-rings that Jaguar recommends be changed to prevent future problems)
https://parts.harperjaguar.com/oem-p...embly-aj813909

2) Thermostat (job typically done while water pump is replaced, if it's never been changed)

3) Transmission Drain/Refill (Intent is to replace filter and new fluid. Sealing sleeve also done during this job. Very important. This is a temperature sensitive job)
Oil change kit for 6HP26/28/32

4) e-Diff fluid change

Helpful links for the technician:

Some notes about the sealing sleeve:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...photos-110117/
http://www.thectsc.com/images/pdf/6_...eplacement.pdf

ensure it has all the o-rings:

Official ZF transmission oil change procedure:

Questions:

Lastly, I have a list of simple questions that are mostly 1-word answers. Typically, 'yes', 'no', or a number '2 keys'. you get the idea.
  • Has there been any paint work done to the car?
  • Does the car have a clear bra installed anywhere?
  • Is the belly pan complete and included?
  • Can you send photos of the undercarriage?
  • Are there any paint chips (especially bumper, hood mirrors, quarter panel, roof)? Can they be filled?
  • Are there any windshield chips? Can they be repaired?
  • Are any accessories included?
  • How many keys are included?
  • Are all booklets and manuals included?
  • Does the interior leather dash have any lifting or peeling? Especially by center vent? Can you send pictures?
  • Does the interior have any scratches or stains?
  • Does the interior have any smells or odors?
  • Are there any rattles in the interior (engine/exhaust resonation, speaker rattle, loose panels or clips, etc)
  • Is there wear on any seat bolsters?
  • Do all the electronic functions work correctly? Seats (movement and heat/cool, etc), radio, climate, etc?
  • Is the spare tire and complete tire kit included?
  • When was the last oil change, and what type/weight oil was used?
  • Are there any fluids leaking?
  • Does the car ever emit an odor of coolant?
  • Do fluids ever need to be topped off?
  • Are there any rattles in the drive train, suspension, exhaust, etc?
  • How new is the battery?

The following 3 users liked this post by TraxtarXKR:
Ngarara (06-14-2019), Sean W (06-13-2019), Stuart S (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 03:49 PM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

The selling dealer is gonna hate you by the time he delivers this car!

Old 06-11-2019, 03:51 PM

I've actually had some great help from forum members on a few of the right questions to ask.

That being said... I'll sleep soundly.

Last edited by TraxtarXKR; 06-11-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Cee Jay (06-11-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 04:39 PM

I decided to walk away from the Special Edition. There were too many alarming things with the sale.

Example:

We were discussing work to be done. Without questioning, they did the water pump... in initial discussion they were also going to do the trans filter and thermostat. However, in further discussion, they changed their mind, claiming that the transmission needed 14 quarts of fluid and it was too expensive. I tried to explain that a flush and a drain are very different, but in the end they were unwilling to do the transmission filter or e-diff, which are MUCH easier jobs. I would have preferred those over the water pump, but since they did it after I mentioned it without even letting me know, and additional work was off the table.

The car only had 1 key, and they were very resistant to getting a second key. Only willing to do second key if I financed. Finally agreed in the end, but it was very difficult to negotiate. TOO difficult. They should have done it as part of the prep on the car when they received it.

The car has seriously worn buttons on the steering wheel and radio. Makes me question the previous owner and how they maintained the car.

Lastly, they omitted some serious interior cosmetic issues with the car. It has a leather headliner (poltrona frau leather only found on SE), and the salesman was saying that it had a perfect interior. Only when I demanded a photo of the headliner, did I see that it was indeed separated from the roof, and badly. There's no way it could be ignored... why not include that in the original listing?! Could have saved us both a headache.

Salesman mentioned small scratches on the door 'like a small dog or something', but I have yet to see a photo of said scratches. I also have yet to see the seat back bolsters, after asking for photos of them at least 5 times. I got plenty of photos of the seat bottom bolsters for some reason. Even after clarifying and sending an example picture to eliminate confusion. WHY?!?!

So, the search continues.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Originally Posted by TraxtarXKR
WHY?!?!
Not a seller to be trusted.
When I bought my used Lexus from an out-of-state dealer, they clearly stated up-front that there was road-rash on the front bumper and splitter, and a chip on the edge on the edge of a rear door.
They sent me close-up photos of the issues, and then sent the bumper off for a re-spray, and touched up the rear door chip, sending me after photos, which looked good.
As part of their standing behind what they sell, I paid for shipment, at their discount rate, and they gave me three days to check it out, and if I didn't like it, they'd ship it back, on their dime.
That's a dealer that stands behind what they sell.

The following 2 users liked this post by kj07xk:
Ngarara (06-15-2019), Queen and Country (06-14-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Bought mine from Palm Beach Jaguar. I am not their typical customer ($$$$). They wanted the used XK off their lot. They took very detailed HD pics of every nick in the paint. Gave me a complete history (fortunately they serviced both previous owners). Car was everything they said it was, nothing more or less.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Soft switches can be dissolved by whatever is on your fingers.

I'm not sure what you mean by seriously worn buttons.

Later cars have a gooey layer on top of the plastic that will look ugly simply from using it, no abuse needed.

There are threads about removal of the layer leaving you with the harder plastic.

A separate issue, my volume button is worn smooth on my steering wheel.

I'm a bit surprised a car had a sagging top and they didn't show it.

Incompetent, or dishonest, on that one.

Cee Jay (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

I think everyone's volume button on the wheel is worn.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I think everyone's volume button on the wheel is worn.
Not mine. But then, my volume button is under my right foot.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member

No everyone's volume control is not worn.
None of my buttons are. It really does come down to if you have salt and french fry fat on your fingers.

kj07xk (06-14-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts
kj07xk (06-14-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
No everyone's volume control is not worn.
None of my buttons are. It really does come down to if you have salt and french fry fat on your fingers.
Yeah, so why do cars have so many round cup holders, and not at least one nice rectangular one for the extra large order of fries container?

Jacsun (06-21-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah the biggest mistake one can make buying a used car is not realizing that pimps have a higher code of conduct than used car salesmen.
They will lie even when they dont have to. Its like first nature to them, even if you were their friend and just having a causal conversation about a car, they would tell you it was driven by some old lady...and then call your office the next day.

Quick Reply: Requesting paid veteran assistance with choosing a first X150