XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Running engine once in a while when in storage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 03:33 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Running engine once in a while when in storage?

Hi

So, what do you think, shall I run the engine once in a while when keeping the car in storage for the winter? The car is already on battery charger, not worries there. I wonder if it's better just to keep the engine off the all time.

Thoughts?

Old 12-27-2013, 03:53 PM
Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Have had same question several times..
Seems that general consensus is that is it better to leave the car without turning it on, just keeping the battery fully charged with the charger.
Reason is that the oil never reaches operating temperature thus only doing more damage than good.. Well it does not damage the engine, but there is no point. If you were to take it for an half an hour spin it would be a different matter...

Old 12-27-2013, 04:27 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

I start my XKR and love to hear it purr and roll the tires to a different spot every 3 weeks or so. I mark the tires so I know the spots I had the car parked at before. It's so nice to just hear that sound again and so hard to not take it down the driveway to the street for a drive. I back it out the garage and let it get to normal operating temperature. On nice days I take it down my 150 yard drive way which is never salted. I also have a smart battery maintainer on when not in use.

I know from you starting this post you just want to get back in your cat to hear it roar...

Last edited by DGL; 12-27-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
I start my XKR and love to hear it purr and roll the tires to a different spot every 3 weeks or so. I mark the tires so I know the spots I had the car parked at before. It's so nice to just hear that sound again and so hard to not take it down the driveway to the street for a drive. I back it out the garage and let it get to normal operating temperature. On nice days I take it down my 150 yard drive way which is never salted. I also have a smart battery maintainer on when not in use.

I know from you starting this post you just want to get back in your cat to hear it roar...
Probably a very good idea.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:15 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

I could not resist after reading this thread to go out in the garage and fire up the Jag to hear it roar... Soooo sweet. I have only 2,300 miles on it. I expect to put even less miles on it next summer with 2 new cars added to my stable. Every mile in the Jag puts a big grin on my face like no other car.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
I could not resist after reading this thread to go out in the garage and fire up the Jag to hear it roar... Soooo sweet. I have only 2,300 miles on it. I expect to put even less miles on it next summer with 2 new cars added to my stable. Every mile in the Jag puts a big grin on my face like no other car.
DGL:

You own some awesome cars to drive.........simply AWESOME.

The following users liked this post:
DGL (12-27-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I would store my last ride for the winter but would start it up and warm it up once a week. Also if the roads were clear and dry I would take it out for a 10 mile drive. It would usually never be down for more then 2 weeks and over the past few winters there have only been a few major snow storms that had the car idle for a few weeks. One of the reasons for my returning to Jags is to be able to drive it 90% of the time and enjoy it. My last play car didn't see any rain more less snow. This one will be different.

gjjaguar (01-08-2014)
Old 12-28-2013, 09:56 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

There is no benefit or requirement to start an engine now and then, and lots of well proven points about why it's NOT a good idea.

Let it sleep unless you can take it for a good long drive.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:06 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

There's lots of reasons not to eat Twinkies also, but now and then, I can't help myself.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:32 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

That's what I understand as well. Now, I just have to figure out how to roll the car once in a while to avoid flat spots. Time to try the "towing" trick of disengaging the transmission Does not look too difficult.

Originally Posted by Mikey
There is no benefit or requirement to start an engine now and then, and lots of well proven points about why it's NOT a good idea.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:53 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Please elaborate on "proven points about why it's NOT a good idea".

Old 01-07-2014, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Why you should not start an engine during storage periods: the engine never reaches proper operating temperature (this is beyond the gauge reading); it can take 15 kms or so at highway speed to thoroughly heat all components of the drive train including the exhaust. Running the engine for brief periods creates corrosive fluids - they do not burn off because the engine and exhaust don't reach proper temperature. There is absolutely NO benefit in starting a cold engine and running it at idle for 10 minutes.
With regard to tire flat spots: this can be a concern if the car is not moved for weeks at a time - but the flat spots are not permanent - they disappear as the tire warms with running. They can be minimised by inflating the tires to the maximum figure on the sidewall - but before the car is put into use again the tire pressures should be adjusted to the proper running values.
Please: DON'T start the engine unless you are planning to use the car for a half hour at least (and preferably with some highway running). These cars can be left for MONTHS, on a CTEK charger, without starting the engine - and absolutely no damage will be done. If you periodically start the engine without exercising the car, you are definitely doing damage.

The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
Mikey (01-08-2014), V6 JDT (01-17-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 12:37 AM

Excellent post. Thanks.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Rightly, or wrongly, this is the advice that Jaguar used to give to their dealers:

ENGINE
If the vehicle is stored for one month, the engine should be started, run at 1,000 revolutions per minute for one minute from cold, and then 2,000 revolutions per minute until the coolant temperature gauge shows normal.

This procedure should be repeated monthly and following completion with the engine still running at idle speed, the air conditioning should be operated and cycled for a further 10 minutes

AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM
If the system is not to be run for more than one month, it is recommended that the air conditioning system should be operated for approximately 10 minutes (engine running at idle-speed). This is to circulate refrigerant and oil to ensure the ‘O’ rings and seals (especially the compressor) are kept lubricated and do not harden.

TYRES
For storage purposes, tyres on fitted wheels must be inflated to and maintained at a maximum pressure of 4.05 bar (60 lbf/in²).
Note: Wheels must be rotated through 90 degrees in the forward direction once a week to ensure that the tread is rotated evenly during the storage period.
The spare wheel tyre pressure must be maintained at the appropriate pressure specified in the Driver’s Handbook.
Tyre condition should be inspected and defective tyres replaced prior to removal from storage.

PARKING BRAKE
The parking brake must NOT remain ‘on’ during storage.
After parking: Manual transmission vehicles: select first or reverse gear and release the parking brake.
Automatic transmission vehicles: select ‘P’ and release the parking brake.

The following 2 users liked this post by u102768:
Executive (01-08-2014), gjjaguar (01-08-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 07:44 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts
Old 01-08-2014, 08:17 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Both sov211 and u102768 have valid points. I believe u102768 storage method is preferred, IMO. With so many seals and equipment designed to be naturally lubricated by use ( 10 minute cycling, engine rev cycling, moving the car back and forth applying the brakes without leaving the ebrake on) I believe it is a good idea to cycle the car keep condensation from building up, rust forming on corrosive components, and seal lubricated. I agree with sov211 turning the engine on and off for short periods less than 10 minutes is not desirable.

My procedure:

I leave my car on a battery maintainer when not in use. Every 2 weeks I start my car running the engine at various low rpms. I cycle the air conditioning for at least 8 minutes. I back the car out of my garage into my driveway 100 feet. If my driveway to the street, over 300 feet is clear, I drive the car up and down a few times. After 10 to 15 minutes I park the car with the tires on at different spot and mark the bottom of the tires again.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by DGL
I believe it is a good idea to cycle the car keep condensation from building up, rust forming on corrosive components, and seal lubricated.
Running engines for a short period as described is what causes the condensation and oil contamination to form in the first place.

Leave it alone.

There's plenty of residual oil to keep the seals lubricated, even on engines left unused for years. I've seen this first handed

Old 01-08-2014, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

The AC system should indeed be used periodically. But the part of Canada I live in (Victoria, British Columbia) does not experience "winter" as such. For us, winter is rain, not snow. And for me, rain and my Jaguars do not make for a desirable combination - except the X-Type which survives anything! So between November and February the cars sit in the garage, on CTEK chargers - BUT on dry days they are taken out for a good run, all systems worked. That said, I have left Jags for months on end without starting them, with absolutely no residual damage - including to the AC systems. On balance, considering the possibility of having to recharge the AC vs the certain damage caused by brief running - well, I would always choose the former. The best solution is always to USE the cars as frequently as possible; even in places that DO see winter conditions there are occasional days when the roads are clear and dry - those are the days on which the cars should come out for a good run.

gjjaguar (01-08-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

The only reason I'd consider running it every now and then is to keep the battery charged. For those of us with no power source near the car, it's probably not a bad idea. Especially since the X150 is so darn sensitive to battery charge/health.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

There's plenty of residual oil to keep the seals lubricated, even on engines left unused for years. I've seen this first handed
You mention that you have seen it at first hand. Can you give make, model and more importantly built date on those cars?

Quick Reply: Running engine once in a while when in storage?