XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Safety belt not retracting when engine on

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safety belt not retracting when engine on

Hi all,

Delighted I found these forums, they have been extremely helpful. I recently bought an 2010 XK, left hand drive, c. 50k mileage. Really happy with it but have an issue with the drivers safety belt.

When the engine is on, the belt does not retract at all. However before I turn on the engine or immediately when i turn it off it works perfectly. Seems very counterintuitive to me. Given the impact the engine status has on it i don't believe its a typical problem with a twisted belt etc (but I am open to be corrected).

Has anyone encountered a similar issue or be able to advise on how I can go about figuring it out?

Many thanks!

Old 06-11-2018, 01:59 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Welcome to the forum dermo,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X150 forum. This is the place to post technical questions about your model.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
dermo (06-12-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

Try this: sit in the driver's seat but do not put your foot on the brake pedal or touch the start button. Pull the seat belt out all the way until it stops but don't latch it. Hold the belt in the fully extended position.

Press the start button first and then step on the brake pedal. The car should start and the warning chime should sound.

Latch the seat belt and then release the belt. The chime should go off and the belt should retract. If not, there's probably a bad sensor and it's time for your Jaguar dealer or qualified indy technician to diagnose and fix it.

Let us know if that made any difference.

dermo (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Stuart

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. I don't know how or why but that helped significantly! Now when I unlatch (unbuckle) the belt it retracts properly (regardless of whether the engine is on or not). So now the only time it doesn't retract is when the engine is on AND the belt is latched - at least now if it becomes very slack I just have to unlatch and re-latch to reset it, not ideal but workable. Is there anything further that can be tried now or is it only a dealership visit that will fully fix it?

Thanks again

Old 06-12-2018, 08:07 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

In my opinion, it’s crazy that that worked :-)

Seems like that should be pure mechanical.

I guess I’m old...

dermo (06-13-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

Originally Posted by dermo
Hi Stuart

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. I don't know how or why but that helped significantly! Now when I unlatch (unbuckle) the belt it retracts properly (regardless of whether the engine is on or not). So now the only time it doesn't retract is when the engine is on AND the belt is latched - at least now if it becomes very slack I just have to unlatch and re-latch to reset it, not ideal but workable. Is there anything further that can be tried now or is it only a dealership visit that will fully fix it?

Thanks again
That makes two of us, and I'm as surprised that it worked as you are! Somehow, I had the idea and thought it was worth a shot. At least you got it to work, albeit not perfectly.

I'm not a mechanic, but I suspect that your seat belt has a faulty pretensioner. That's the device that locks the seatbelt tight in the event of a collision. You can have your dealer confirm my suspicion and compare their repair cost to this independent internet repair service: https://www.safetyrestore.com/jaguar...lt-repair.html

Let us know what you find out and decide to do.

dermo (06-13-2018)