XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Selling my XK

Old 10-31-2017, 11:02 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts
Default Selling my XK

Hello Jagsters,

I am looking into getting an F-Type. So if anybody is interested in buying my 2007 XK, I am offering it at a very attractive price. Located in NJ.

I also placed an ad in the classified section on this site.

Send an email to: michael@microsoftinstructor.com if you are interested.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

You will love it and deserve it.

My brother who has only driven Germany's finest, all the M series, 911, Boxster s, Cayman, Cayenne and the last SL. Wrote to me after I introduced him to the Jag and he went and purchased a new Ftype; 'it was as If someone had taken the best bits of all the cars he had owned and put it one car, but this car had something none of them had, hold your heart looks'

Old 10-31-2017, 12:15 PM

Agreed. I took one for a test drive, and was impressed enough to put my XK up for sale!

Old 10-31-2017, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

If you are buying used, F-type V8S is absolutely a steal. Early F-types have all the same issues late XKRs do. You can get F-type with a manual transmission, but early production MTs have problematic clutch setup that requires perseverance (or good dealer) to fix under warranty.

Also, F-type comes equipped with Pzero tires. In RWD form it severely detracts, these tires can't handle even base F-type power. Upgrade to MPSS or MS4S are absolutely necessary to unlock the car's potential.

In 2018 F-type came out with 4-cyl Ingenium engine trim. Don't do this to yourself.

I find that blind spots on F-type are substantial, blind spot monitoring is very helpful featur in making it manageable.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

How big is the spread from a realistic private sale to trade in value? In my state, selling a used car private if it is out of warranty is a risky proposition.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member

I am keeping my car, its like having your old car and the car you will be getting.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
In my state, selling a used car private if it is out of warranty is a risky proposition.
Why?

Old 10-31-2017, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,145 Likes on 3,082 Posts

How big is the spread from a realistic private sale to trade in value? In my state, selling a used car private if it is out of warranty is a risky proposition.
Every state I've lived in I've sold cars privately; California, Utah, Colorado, North Dakota, Minnesota and Wisconsin.
What I've seen is that Trade-In allowances are about 60-70% of what you can sell a car for privately, but sometimes it takes awhile to sell, a couple weeks maybe.
If a person doesn't want to be hassled by the small amount of effort it takes to sell privately (and doesn't mind the mild financial hit), a trade-in is much easier.
When I was Active Air Force, there was a young Sergeant who worked for me who decided to trade his older truck for a new one, and I told him he should either let me go with him to do it or at least let me see the terms BEFORE he bought..... of course he didn't listen. He did the trade-in and had the remainder of his current truck loan added into the loan for the new one...... but they never gave him the EQUITY that he had in his old truck. I can't remember the exact numbers, but lets say the old loan balance was $8000, the trade-in value was $12,000 and the truck was worth $20,000. The guy had $12,000 equity in it.... The dealer took his truck and added the $8000 loan to the cost of his NEW truck, minus the $12,000 trade-in, which balanced to $4000 that they actually GAVE him for his truck that had a value of $20,000 and that $12,000 in equity.
I had to sit the poor guy down and walk him through all the steps, and then he was very sad that they scammed him of $8,000, plus if HE would have sold it privately he could have gotten that $20k, which overall lost him a whopping $16,000. I even called the dealer on his behalf, and of course they refused to change anything as it was all signed and completed.
Long Story TOO Long, people must be careful with trade-ins as they can get suckered unless they know exactly what's-what.
Of course, similar situations can occur with Private Sales, but since they are less complicated, there are no places to hide rip-offs. Still though, Sales/Trade-ins both private and dealers are BUYER BEWARE.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Why?
In MA, the Lemon Law really protects the dealer and consumer. If a private party sells a used car, it is under the same warranty stipulations as a car dealer which could be up to 90 days. I would feel on edge selling someone the kind of cars I tend to own that are now out of warranty. When they burn out the clutch on and now I am on the hook for 5-8K; no thank you. If you trade in your car in MA, the value of the car is reduced from the sales tax on the new car.

Consumer has protection against a lemon and dealer is protected on incentives to trade in vs sell private party.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,145 Likes on 3,082 Posts

Sounds like a racket to me, with dealers paying off the State Legislature to enact such laws.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,131 Likes on 3,378 Posts

... In my state, selling a used car private if it is out of warranty is a risky proposition.
It's not so risky if you do it right.

Under the Massachusetts Lemon Law, a private seller of a motor vehicle is required to inform buyers of any and all known defects, which impair the safety or substantially impair the use of the vehicle. If a buyer discovers such a defect and can show that the seller knew about the defect but failed to disclose it, then the buyer can cancel the sale within 30 days of the purchase, and the seller must refund the purchase price (minus 15 cents per mile driven since the purchase).

Seller in Massachusetts has no risk, provided he delivers the vehicle to the Buyer AFTER he receives payment in full by wire transfer and gives the Buyer a Bill of Sale that truthfully discloses any and all known defects and states that, except for those known defects, the vehicle is sold "As-Is, Where-Is" with no other warranties or representations whatsoever, except for good title. Seller retains a copy of that Bill of Sale signed by the Buyer.

Seller has his $$$ and Buyer has no legal recourse after 30 days. If the buyer wants to rescind that sale, he has the burden of proof to show that the Seller lied. That's an uphill battle.

Last edited by Stuart S; 10-31-2017 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Revised entirely.
The following users liked this post:
SinF (11-07-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Good luck Michael! You should add your recent video to the classified post

Old 10-31-2017, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member

A fellow Brit I knew helped get the lemon laws passed.
At the time he ran the largest auction in this country- which ironically was a former British company.
He was a good man and genuinely had consumer's intentions at heart.
Unfortunately, corporations are smarter than our govt will ever be and found a way to use that lemon law to their advantage....

Before the law, if you had a lemon, the manufacturer was obliged to repair it for as long as it was under warranty. Now they buy the car back after the legal limit of repairs, sell it as demo, and that same car is now exempt from any lemon-law protection.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member

Someone burning out a clutch and then sticking their hand out is what I am nervous on. Doesn't matter who is in the right, it's going to cost me... My cars are well maintained, but I can't stop someone from driving like an idiot once they take ownership. If it were a more utilitarian car that I feel more confident. The next owner isn't lay patches or pretending to be Senna I would likely sell private party.

I am going to buy a Rapide and milling whether to try and sell my Vantage or just trade it in. Net, I think I would lose 4-5k from talking to dealers and I don't actually have to sell my car... Not that 4-5K is nothing...

Old 10-31-2017, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member

The spread is way more in other parts of the country.
On a $50k car, its usually 10K between the 2 of them.

P.s. you dont have to sell the car in MA. Just sell it on ebay- even celebrities use that.
And you can safely buy a car on ebay too.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member

look here is one that recently sold, and there were 14 in the last 3 months.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Aston-...xZ485U&vxp=mtr

more comparable
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Aston-...BZp0CU&vxp=mtr

Old 10-31-2017, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

I actualy was shopping for an F Type when I finally decided the XK was a better fit for me. Understand I am not a youngster anymore 60+ and the sports car thing had already happened with my Austin Healey and MGs. The F Type was fun to drive and of course great to look at, but the ride was way to harsh for me. So , there was the reason for the grand touring XK. One other thing, unless money is no issue, depreciation for these later model Jaguars including the F Type is horrific and unless you are planning on keeping the car for any length of time, be prepared to see a significant drop in value in a very short period of time. I purchased my car at less than 50% of it's MSRP 3 years ago, and it's still dropping as we speak. I'm not planning on selling and it will probably go to my kids so not a big deal, but Jaguars (other than XKEs) are not the best investments. Still ....fun fun cars!

The following 2 users liked this post by bocatrip:
2011XK (11-06-2017), robtroxel (11-01-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 07:46 PM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

In MA, the Lemon Law really protects the dealer and consumer. If a private party sells a used car, it is under the same warranty stipulations as a car dealer which could be up to 90 days. I would feel on edge selling someone the kind of cars I tend to own that are now out of warranty. When they burn out the clutch on and now I am on the hook for 5-8K; no thank you. If you trade in your car in MA, the value of the car is reduced from the sales tax on the new car.

Consumer has protection against a lemon and dealer is protected on incentives to trade in vs sell private party.
Wow. That's a raw deal. Here in Louisiana, used vehicles are sold "as-is". Once the paperwork is done and delivery is taken, the vehicle can explode a mile down the road and the seller is not liable for anything. Intentionally misleading someone is a problem, but if they don't ask, and it doesn't come up in conversation, it's the buyer's fault for not being more thorough. That's why buying a used car here is a 2 hour ordeal for me. Nice long test drive, and a very thorough inspection.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,131 Likes on 3,378 Posts
Default Massachusetts Lemon Law is GOOD for the Seller!

Someone burning out a clutch and then sticking their hand out is what I am nervous on. Doesn't matter who is in the right, it's going to cost me... My cars are well maintained, but I can't stop someone from driving like an idiot once they take ownership. If it were a more utilitarian car that I feel more confident. The next owner isn't lay patches or pretending to be Senna I would likely sell private party.

I am going to buy a Rapide and milling whether to try and sell my Vantage or just trade it in. Net, I think I would lose 4-5k from talking to dealers and I don't actually have to sell my car... Not that 4-5K is nothing...
A seller in Massachusetts can protect himself against the unscrupulous buyer you described (the one who drives like an idiot) by getting a written Pre-Purchase Inspection at his expense from an authorized dealer. That PPI should have detailed measurements including, but not limited to, thickness of brake pads at each wheel, tread depth of each tire, battery load test results, etc. The Jaguar CPO Checklist is a good PPI format because it covers around 200 areas. It should cost less than $300, which is a small price to pay for evidence to support compliance with the seller's duty of full disclosure in Massachusetts. In addition, that PPI should make it easier to sell your car. And remember that the disgruntled buyer has just 30 days to make his claim and that he has the burden of proving that the seller knew about the defect and failed to disclose it - an uphill battle in the face of a detailed PPI.

I wouldn't let Massachusetts law stop me from selling a car privately. Just make sure to set the stage in your favor and be truthful. The sword cuts both ways, and that lemon law also protects an honest seller from a dishonest buyer. A buyer from a private party has no recourse after 30 days under the Massachusetts lemon law. And that's a good thing.

Having all the service records together with a comprehensive PPI from an authorized dealer makes it difficult, if not impossible, for the buyer to prove that you knew about a defect and failed to disclose it.

The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Cee Jay (11-02-2017), ralphwg (11-04-2017), Tervuren (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 08:45 PM

Update:

I gave a couple of F-Types a good test drive (6 & 8 cylinders) and while they were both fabulous cars, I was not 100% convinced that they were 'better' cars than my 2007 XK.

One would think that after ten years of development, there would be absolutely no comparison between the two, however the 2007 XK was so well executed in its time, that even after a decade...it's still a force to be reckoned with.

Driving the XK is an experience like no other, and for that reason, I am staying with it. Maybe one day I will pursue an F-Type, but not today.

Last edited by michaelodonnell123; 11-03-2017 at 10:42 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by michaelodonnell123:
2011XK (11-06-2017), bocatrip (11-08-2017), kj07xk (11-03-2017), shemp (11-06-2017), sherbercars (11-18-2017)

Search this Thread