XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

In for service but F-type test drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default In for service but F-type test drive

Yesterday I had to take the car in for 2 TSB updates so I also had them do a 4 wheel alignment. I had seen some inside tire wear on the fronts so I just wanted to get that taken care of. While there they gave me a new F-Typr R AWD convert to take for a ride. It was a great example of a BRG with performance seats in tan/charcoal interior. As I would expect it was a fun ride and you could feel the difference in the stiffness vs our XK's. Power was not to much different then my R even though it had 40 more HP. Exhaust was great as was the 8 speed autobox. Couldn't get a feel for the AWD but it went where you pointed it and the suspension was pretty stiff. Other then the lack of additional space I would have considered it but that and the stiffer ride gave me a pass. They also had a new F-Type S with a 6 speed MT which I did not take out. Oh one last thing is the top . There is no lid that covers the top assembly when down it seems that the front of the top has a solid section about a foot wide that acts as the body cover.
As for the recalls they were the J030 roof top switch and the J038 Engine Illuminated cause :E what ever that was . As for the alignment the fronts were toe'ed in and adjusted and the rears were in spec but were tweaked. Just turned 12,500 miles.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

That was my experience too. Driving the f type was fun and the gearbox is much better, but getting back into the XKR after the f type, my back and **** were in heaven. I thought maybe the looser leather in my seats had a bit to do with it.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
That was my experience too. Driving the f type was fun and the gearbox is much better, but getting back into the XKR after the f type, my back and **** were in heaven. I thought maybe the looser leather in my seats had a bit to do with it.

Oh another thing I didn't much like the "stick" lever but I guess you need to get used to it. The paddles are still plastic I see.
The dealer I use is 80 miles from my house and 90% is interstate/thruway driving. My ride up and back in 80* weather with the top down was just great. Enjoy the ride.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:12 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

Need to get my XKR in for service by November for oil, brake fluid and side light recall. I hope to get an F-type loaner.

Before buying my XKR I waited for the F-types to arrive. I took a S V8 convertible out for a test ride. My first thought was: This is tight on space and is a good roadster but not a GT. For a third car I would trade my Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG for one in a heart beat. For a second car I would keep my XKR. For a first car neither one would do as a family car. My family car is a Volvo S80 Platinum T6 AWD and is the perfect car for my climate.

Both my XKR and Mercedes Benz are for sale because between the 2 I just don't drive them enough. My XKR has 6,500 miles and my AMG has 3,500 miles. I would trade my XKR coupe for a XKR convertible and still sell the AMG. I called a Jaguar dealer in Vancouver with a 2015 XKR convertible for sale and they offered me $45,000CDN on a trade for a used 2015 convertible XKR with more miles and an asking price of $95,000CDN. They told me because my car was a US car they could not offer any more for my car. This is a Jaguar dealer that doesn't understand the business. For some reason Jaguar cars are still difficult to move on a sale. I have my car listed on autotrader.com (US) for $69,988 now and will ship it free to Boston. I'm not selling my car because I don't like it; I'm selling it because it sets in my garage collecting dust. I will not give it away. It is better than new, detailed and cared for like a kitten. I was offered an even trade for a 2012 Nissan GT-R Black Edition with 3,000 miles by a MacLaren dealer (yes AWD) but I didn't want to get into another unrefined GT-R again at the time. I would take that trade now to get an AWD performance car so I could drive it during the winter and over look the Sentra interior.

The f-type is a completely different car than the XKR. One is a roadster and the other is a GT street performer. If Jaguar were to re-introduce the XKR you can be assured it would cost north of $150K.

Last edited by DGL; 07-25-2015 at 09:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (07-25-2015)
Old 07-25-2015, 01:15 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I too tried to like the F-type before I got my XKR. For a big car the F did feel small in the cockpit and as we know, the lack of space negates it as a road trip car. If it had a behind-the-seat space of even a foot or so for storage (e.g. a Ferrari California) I might rethink it. However, I think the XK beats the F on looks, which is always a very subjective thing.

Now, if there were some magical way to mate that ZF 8 speed to the XK...

Old 07-25-2015, 01:36 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by ElGreco
I too tried to like the F-type before I got my XKR. For a big car the F did feel small in the cockpit and as we know, the lack of space negates it as a road trip car. If it had a behind-the-seat space of even a foot or so for storage (e.g. a Ferrari California) I might rethink it. However, I think the XK beats the F on looks, which is always a very subjective thing.

Now, if there were some magical way to mate that ZF 8 speed to the XK...

I agree with all of your comments. Even my SLK55 AMG has more trunk space than the F-type. This makes the F-type unsuitable to a lot of people unless you want a third car roadster.

If Jaguar were to redesign the XK it would surely have the ZF8 box and nothing available today would be able to touch it in the price range. The Bentley GT is so heavy, slow, has poor brakes and is just not in the same performance league is the XKR.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

All of your F type comments make me appreciate my XK-R more. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails In for service but F-type test drive-convertible-summer.jpg  
Old 07-25-2015, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

I had F Type S convertible for a long weekend several months ago. The car is a great sports car, definitely not a GT. Lack of space and stiff ride with no adjustment convinced me to stick with XKs.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Oh another thing I didn't much like the "stick" lever but I guess you need to get used to it..
Cheers, I didnt mind that. I thought it was a step back from the dial because it cuts into the space and it isnt intuitive - you have to watch it to see what gear you are going into - but I suppose sports cars are all about guys and their penises, maybe they decided they needed something phallic to play with in the cockpit.

At least they didnt put veins in it.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

Hahahahaha LOL And I thought only Ferrari people had that problem.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I test drove every version of the F-type, truly wanting to love it. But, we just did not click. I love the rear view but totally neutral on the side and front views. The interior is boring and far from elegant in the Jaguar traditions. No good color choices for the inside for me.

After test driving the last F-type, I sat in an XKR at the dealer and I felt home and knew that it was a far better fit for me. So, after owning two XKs got an XKR and happy about my choice. My XJL is going back on its lease next Tuesday and the XKR will be my daily driver. Looking forward to it.

The following users liked this post:
thocar (07-26-2015)
Old 07-28-2015, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

If they could get the F to handle like Lotus, then I would be hot for one. The XK convertible has a tight trunk and couldn't image that as being the only storage...

If you want to give all up practicality, save money and buy a 4C Spyder instead.