XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sluggish light acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 07:53 AM
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Sluggish light acceleration

I wanted to pose this as a seperate question from my previous post. Does anyone experience sluggish acceleration, especially the first 10 minutes, under light acceleration. There is no hesitation with a heavier foot, and you might ask why I am not being more aggressive all the time. I have to drive through a very quiet neighborhood with very diligent patrolmen to get to work, so I watch myself. The hesitation usually goes away after the car warms up. Since it's going in for service next week, I thought I would have this checked on if it is unusual behavior for the car. BTW, it's an 07 XKR coupe with 13,000 miles and I have only had it for a few months.

Thanks for any feedback.

Paul

Old 09-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Hey Paul, my first inclination would be that the previous owner, to save costs, used lower quality fuel for a spell, and again...my guess would be fouled the injectors a bit. That's the time when I would think you would observe the worst symptoms, at light acceleration, and hard to think it would be anything TB related since its so new. What is that stuff...BG44 or something like that, a couple rounds of that stuff may clear up your system. I'm just spouting off... totally opinon. Air filter check?

Old 09-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I would agree it may in fact be the gas....on another thread it was discussed that the car ran rough at start up (mine does as well) and that it went away with different gas. These may be related. Mine has not gone away that I remember but I tend to get used to things and then forget about it (I just assumed it was characteristic of the engine). As a try you may try a different source or octane (higher) of gas. I have started using octane booster when I fill up as I can't seem to find any higher octane than the premium around here which is 91 (any guys around Dallas/Ft Worth that know of gas stations with higher octane?). I have been using the Lucus octane booster which came with some good reviews. I can't really say that I notice anything specifically but I do know I haven't been seen in anyone's rear view mirrors (poor kid in a new Mustang GT the other day that happened to hit the light with me and thought he would hit it off the line...didn't have a chance ;-). I have also not noticed whether the rough running goes away when I am using it...but I will start paying attention.

Last edited by gdrag; 09-05-2009 at 11:48 AM. Reason: sp
Old 09-05-2009, 11:25 PM
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the comments. I was paying close attention to the acceleration bit today, and I am now thinking that it is more a hesitation to shift into second gear when not fully warmed up. I could be wrong, but it seems to almost feel like a hesitation to shift before catching and shifting into second gear. Initial acceleration is ok, but when it gets to the shift point is where it seems to loose all momentum for a split second. I'll mention all of this when I take it into the dealer next week.
As to the gas octane issue, I have once again had a tank that gave me the spluttering starts when cold, which went away after filling the tank again. This could all be related to fouled plugs. I used to work on my TR6, but I'm not touching this monster. I'll let the techs at Jaguar figure it out.

Paul

Old 09-06-2009, 01:27 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by gdrag
any guys around Dallas/Ft Worth that know of gas stations with higher octane?
I use Shell exclusively, and many stations around DFW have 93 as their premium, and mine likes it. Exxon (at least the one on 183 and Macarther) has 94 also.