XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

The small pully that could

Old 04-21-2012, 06:38 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Smile The small pully that could

This is in part a long overdue shutout and thanks to Brutal. Recently my 07 XKR provided me a reason to remove the supercharger, a leak in a cooling hose that can only be changed by removal of the supercharger. Brutal suggested 'hey if it has to come off, why not change your pully'

So it was done. A local shop that Brutal knew reduced the snout to receive the Eurotoys 2.5-3lb pulleyl for a reasonable fee. When I got the car back Brutal said, you will notice it comes 'on' sooner... And that it does.

I have the Nameless high-flow cats, otherwise stock. The throttle is much crisper and responsive, power comes on fast and stays strong to redline. I was skeptical but the upgrade was really worth the cost.

Best way to describe it is.. You know how frisky the car is on a 'cool' day, it is like that all the time now.

Thanks Brutal

Old 04-21-2012, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Does anyone know if this can this be done to the 10+ XKR's? Or has the pulley already been resized/maximized on the 5L's?

Edit:

Yes it can:

http://www.minagallery.com/jagxp/Jag...c%20pulley.htm

How many of you with 5L's have done this?

Last edited by rscultho; 04-21-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Just did mine

Hey Gn4hir, I just had mine done too, I feel the same results as you but I was wondering did you do a ecu clear? (battery disconnect)

If you did, how long of a learning period did you give it before really stepping on it?

I'm taking it easy for 200 miles for the air/fuel to re-adjust and I hear it just gets better as the ECU adjusts.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

It does not effect me as the owner of a regular XK but, just wondering how the pulley change actually works for the supercharged cars?

I recognize that a larger pulley would spin the charger faster, thus increasing boost. But, boost is normally controlled by some kind of overboost protection device (spring loaded or electronic) that opens when the set boost value is reached, dumping excessive boost. If it did not work this way, than the boost would greatly vary between low RPMs and high RPMs. So, I would think that installing a larger pulley would have to be accompanied by some kind of change to the boost control systems if an increased level of boost is desired..

Albert

Last edited by axr6; 04-22-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mike V
If you did, how long of a learning period did you give it before really stepping on it?
200 yds or 20 seconds.. whichever occurred first. Actually, I didn't know I was supposed to reset the ECU. It is possible the guy helping with this did that for me.. but I did not. And I would not say I drove any different that I normally drive which is fairly aggressive..

I guess I have some research to do on ECU programming.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by axr6
It does not effect me as the owner of a regular XK but, just wondering how the pulley change actually works for the supercharged cars?

I recognize that a larger pulley would spin the charger faster, thus increasing boost. But, boost is normally controlled by some kind of overboost protection device (spring loaded or electronic) that opens when the set boost value is reached, dumping excessive boost. If it did not work this way, than the boost would greatly vary between low RPMs and high RPMs. So, I would think that installing a larger pulley would have to be accompanied by some kind of change to the boost control systems if an increased level of boost is desired..

Albert
Someone smarter than me will have to answer this... but the supercharger is just a big mechanical air pump and the pulley we are talking about is on the input shaft of the supercharger and therefore the smaller the pulley the faster the shaft rotates and more air is pumped in..

I don't think it builds pressure that has to be bled off as it always turns in direct ratio to engine rpm, it can't spin up like a turbo does.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:07 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Gn4hir
200 yds or 20 seconds.. whichever occurred first. Actually, I didn't know I was supposed to reset the ECU. It is possible the guy helping with this did that for me.. but I did not. And I would not say I drove any different that I normally drive which is fairly aggressive..

I guess I have some research to do on ECU programming.
200 yds/ 20 secs sounds fine LOL. I really don't think it needs a reset but mine was done just b/c it took 3 days to install the pulley and I disconnected the battery while it was in the shop.

I believe regardless of "clearing" or not the ECU will re-learn continuously as the car is driven. I figured it wouldn't hurt to take it easy at first but I've gotten tired of driving soft. Time to step on it and enjoy the bigger power band

Thank you and enjoy!