Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Smart charger broke , what to buy

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default Smart charger broke , what to buy

OK so my old smart charger got shorted out yesterday so I'm in the market for another. I have been looking at the Ctek web site and see there are a selection of models to select from. I don't need the greatest or best but something that I can use on my vehicles and lawn tractor. So other then the 3300 which seemed to be the unit of choice a few years ago what would be the one you would buy today. Anyone have experience with some of the later models and has anyone bought the smart phone battery status unit that they sell.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I am using a CTEK right now and it works fine. On the XK and Lotus, months sitting on the charger is a like 4 days of not starting the car. I think I have 3300. When I go downstairs I will check and update if it is not.

I kept the plugged into the aux post on the battery and it popped out right under the spare cover; nice and neat.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

I have the CTEK 7 and have never had a problem.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:22 PM
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I've recently bought a CTEK MS5 after reading so many positive reports on it on the other Jaguar forums. Seems to do an excellent job and is really easy to use.

Marco

Old 01-12-2016, 03:27 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

I'll go against the religious right and tout my Battery tender plus (I know some have said to have issues with the Jr model). I've have two and love them. Have used them on maybe 6 cars and at least 3 motorcycles thus far never anything but happiness. It doesn't matter which one you use just use one!

Old 01-12-2016, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeper
I'll go against the religious right and tout my Battery tender plus (I know some have said to have issues with the Jr model). I've have two and love them. Have used them on maybe 6 cars and at least 3 motorcycles thus far never anything but happiness. It doesn't matter which one you use just use one!

Damn commies. Er, um, well, I also lean left. I have the Schumacher SEM1562A. Never had an issue

Old 01-12-2016, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts
Default Win Powerball and Buy This CTEK!

jagtoes,

The newest, latest and greatest CTEK battery charger costs only $1,890,000!

But you also get the Koenigsegg Regera free! What a deal!

Seriously, check the reviews on Amazon. I have the CTEK MUS 4.3 on my XJ
Amazon.com: CTEK (56-864) MUS 4.3 12 Volt Fully Automatic 8 Step Battery Charger: Automotive Amazon.com: CTEK (56-864) MUS 4.3 12 Volt Fully Automatic 8 Step Battery Charger: Automotive
. I am pleased with both, but since the BatteryMINDer is no longer available, I recommend the CTEK MUS 4.3 as it is a newer model than the 3300. Note that CTEK products have different names in the USA and UK.

If you want to risk burning your house down, buy a Battery Tender Jr., which to my surprise is the #1 seller on Amazon probably because it's cheap. You get what you pay for; Buyer beware. Read my review from 2011:
Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger: Automotive Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger: Automotive

If this was helpful, please press at the bottom right.

Stuart

The following users liked this post:
JonWat (01-13-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

I have 3 of the CTEK (56-864) MUS 4.3 12-Volt chargers: one for the XJSC, the XKR and the XKR-S.

I've been very happy with them on all the cars, never once a hard start after a long winter or any electrical gremlins to speak of that come with a low battery.

I mount them in a row on the wall (so I can check the status lights each day), and purchased some of the extension cables to run to each car. I have a short lead connected to each battery, so I'm able to quickly connect and disconnect them when needed.

Overall very pleased. Amazon usually has the best price that I've found:

CTEK:
Amazon.com: CTEK (56-864) MUS 4.3 12 Volt Fully Automatic 8 Step Battery Charger: Automotive Amazon.com: CTEK (56-864) MUS 4.3 12 Volt Fully Automatic 8 Step Battery Charger: Automotive

Extension cables:
Amazon.com: CTEK (56-304) Comfort Connect Extension Cable: Automotive Amazon.com: CTEK (56-304) Comfort Connect Extension Cable: Automotive

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (01-20-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
If you want to risk burning your house down, buy a Battery Tender Jr.
Huh? And you've never heard of the various CTEK's that have gone up
in flames, or melted?

IIRC, the Battery Tender brand is owned by Delta. They are one of
the preferred vendors of power supplies for most of the network
equipment bringing this site to your screen. Depending on the server
brand, Delta may be powering the site itself.

A significant portion of the electrical energy powering any charger
is converted into heat. A small, sealed plastic lump can only
dissipate so much heat. If you get a thermal overrun from a
damaged circuit it's going to be smoke city.

There is *nothing* special about CTEK's. All of the usual charge
controller algorithms are implemented as standard parts by
semi-conductor companies. Hooking things up using a reference
design from the manufacturer can be done by any startup.

It's all just branding and marketing.

And before anyone goes off on the virtues of Swedish manufacturing:

Code:
Brand  CTEK  
Model  56-864  
Item Weight  1.8 pounds  
Product Dimensions  6.6 x 1.5 x 2.6 inches  
Origin  China  
Item model number  56-864  
Exterior  Smooth  
Manufacturer Part Number  56-864  
OEM Part Number  56-864  
Amperage  4.3 A  
Voltage  12 volts
Nothing wrong with Chinese manufacturing, but don't kid
yourself that anything other than head office is in Sweden.

Last edited by plums; 01-12-2016 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

plums,

There's more to a company than its products; it's corporate integrity: how do they treat their employees, vendors and customers and administer their warranty. My experience with Battery Tender Jr. customer service was the worst. Have you read my Amazon review? If not, the link is in post #7, above.

I think you're mistaken about who owns the Battery Tender brand. You cite Delta; I presume you mean Delta Electronics, Inc., a publicly-traded, world-wide manufacturer of power supplies headquartered in Taipei, Taiwan Welcome to Delta Group

Battery Tender is owned by Deltran Corporation of DeLand, Florida, a privately-owned family business. Battery Tender - Contact Us The difference between Deltran and Delta is like a minnow and a whale; they have nothing in common.

Many high-end car manufacturers have chosen to partner with CTEK: Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Bentley, BMW, Corvette, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Lexus, Maserati, Maybach, Rolls-Royce, Jaguar, and Koenigsegg. There was a reason they didn't chose Battery Tender as their partner.

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 01-12-2016 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,159 Likes on 3,090 Posts

iPhones are also way overpriced for their inferior performance, but since the marketing for them was fantastic they were a hit. Tell people they will be COOL if they buy your product and millions will obey.
Great Marketing, the only thing needed to sell a gazillion units, inferior or otherwise.
..... just sayin'.....

BTW, I have both a CTEK and a Battery Tender. Both do the same thing and I have nothing bad to say about either of them. I actually like the setup of the B-T more, the lights and transformer stay plugged into the wall where I can see them, instead of inside the boot without extra cables and such.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeper
I have to agree with you Leeper.
I bought a Battery Tender Plus over a year ago at Costco. It's been plugged in continuously since then and it doesn't even get warm. The chassis is metal and seems pretty durable. Keeps my XK nicely charged.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
iPhones are also way overpriced for their inferior performance, but since the marketing for them was fantastic they were a hit. Tell people they will be COOL if they buy your product and millions will obey.
Great Marketing, the only thing needed to sell a gazillion units, inferior or otherwise.
..... just sayin'.....

BTW, I have both a CTEK and a Battery Tender. Both do the same thing and I have nothing bad to say about either of them. I actually like the setup of the B-T more, the lights and transformer stay plugged into the wall where I can see them, instead of inside the boot without extra cables and such.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but my CTEK isn't mounted in any of my cars. All three are mounted on my wall, lined up, lights clearly visible, always plugged in.

I attach the supplied lead with the o-rings to the battery posts, which then connects to the CTEK extension cable via the quick disconnect clip, leading to the charger.

Why would the CTEK be mounted in the car? No argument here, just confused. That seems like a hassle!

Last edited by 01Silverstone; 01-13-2016 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member

I'm still investigating and leaning toward the Ctek MXS 5.0 at this point. It seems to have a lot of options that I would use.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,159 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Silverstone
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but my CTEK isn't mounted in any of my cars. All three are mounted on my wall, lined up, lights clearly visible, always plugged in.

I attach the supplied lead with the o-rings to the battery posts, which then connects to the CTEK extension cable via the quick disconnect clip, leading to the charger.

Why would the CTEK be mounted in the car? No argument here, just confused. That seems like a hassle!
The Battery Tender has all the hardware on one cube that plugs directly into the wall outlet. The CTEK has inline hardware so it's made to use without the "Comfort Adapter" and leave the whole deal in the boot. I guess you could also use an extension cord on the Battery Tender, but then you'd have eight feet of INCLUDED post-transformer wires just laying loose. I didn't say it was a HUGE difference, but I'd rather have the only heat-producing item firmly mounted and highly visible on the wall outlet where it was meant to be. Not hanging or laying wherever you can find to hang or lay it. Easier and more convenient.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

CTEK 3300 for sure. Have one for my Jag and one for my Lexus. No complaints after a few years.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member

The Battery Tender has all the hardware on one cube that plugs directly into the wall outlet. The CTEK has inline hardware so it's made to use without the "Comfort Adapter" and leave the whole deal in the boot. I guess you could also use an extension cord on the Battery Tender, but then you'd have eight feet of INCLUDED post-transformer wires just laying loose. I didn't say it was a HUGE difference, but I'd rather have the only heat-producing item firmly mounted and highly visible on the wall outlet where it was meant to be. Not hanging or laying wherever you can find to hang or lay it. Easier and more convenient.
I see, so you use an extension cord with the CTEK, leaving the unit in the boot? And I agree about the heat-producing item being outside of the car. The only thing I've noticed that produces heat on the CTEK is the actual charger (which I keep on the wall).

So I guess my question is that they can both be set up to work the same way, correct?

Old 01-13-2016, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Maybe to clarify something here, there are 3 versions of the single charger Battery Tender.
1. Battery Tender Junior - which appears to be described here, has all of its guts in a 'wall wart'
2. Battery Tender - similar design to the CTEK, a plastic inline box, with a wall cord on one end, and the charger cable on the other
3. Battery Tender Plus - also an 'inline' design, but the guts are in a metal box

I use the Battery Tender Plus, which sits on a shelf in the garage next to my XK. I can easily see it from the entry door to the house. The Power cord is plugged into an extension cord that runs to a convenient outlet on the ceiling, and the low voltage charging cable, with a 20 foot extension, goes up and over the end of my garage door track, to hang down beside the car, where it plugs into a short cable that connects to the battery in the trunk.
Just unplug the short cable, stick it in the trunk, and put the end of the long cable on the shelf beside the charger, and I'm ready to go.

Full disclosure: I bought the Battery Tender Plus before my car was delivered, and before I found these forums. If I had found the forums earlier, I probably would have purchased a CTEK, based on the recommendations.

Last edited by kj07xk; 01-13-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

I use the CTek mounted on a work bench next to my XK with the extension line connected to cables with posts. I can see the lights on the CTek when I walk into the garage. unplug the extension cord (quick disconnect) put other cables in the trunk and I'm off. No more than 10 seconds to connect or disconnect.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

Well after some investigation I've just ordered the Ctek MUS 4.3 charger with the battery and alternator check capability. So I expect to get it next week and will see how it functions. It is the 8 step function with the added features so I'll give an update when I use it.

The following 2 users liked this post by jagtoes:
01Silverstone (01-20-2016), Lothar52 (01-20-2016)