XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

So I traded my 2007 XKR for a 2010 XKR...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts
Default So I traded my 2007 XKR for a 2010 XKR...

Picked it up in Dallas yesterday. Ultimate Black exterior, black interior with luxury package. Love the black alcantera headliner.

Power: Holy chit Batman! I drove it in D, and S mode, have not driven it in race mode. Geezus this thing is a monster! I thoughtthe 4.2 Liter pullled...this thing...well, it's had to believe it can only do 0 to 60 in 4.4secs...

Contrast stitching on the leather, black piano finish with carbon fiber look dash trim. 20" Nevis wheels with Micheline Pilot Sport tires (back to Michelin again). I was actually surprised at the Pilot Sports...they seem to be fairly quiet, and there's lots of tread left on the tire.

I got the car at Boardwalk Porsche in Dallas. The salesperson said the owner traded it in on a Panamera. I told them I think those things are fugly.

I loved the 07. But this thing...well I can't talk about what happens when I sit in it.

One thing that I found interesting is that the 10's and later do not have a dipstick for checking the oil anymore. It's electronically monitored by sensors in the engine. I had to read the manual to figure this out. I'm sure I will find out more things that have changed.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:19 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Mmm. Tasty!

Old 03-31-2012, 03:29 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

So you're the joker that bought that car out from under me ;-). I was negotiating on and they didn't want to move. So I let my offer sit for a day... then you bought it! Nice car for sure. So I went up the street and bought a new 11' Blk on tan. Same Nevis wheels, red calipers etc. Will pick it up Weds. We're also moving back to Dallas in May. Perhaps we can plan a little meet. Will be doing some wheels, springs and eventually exhaust. It is critical there be 0 drone!

Old 03-31-2012, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Congratulations...it sounds like the performance has exceeded your expectations! I'd be curious to know how you would compare them from a handling standpoint. I test drove an '09 XKR and then the '10 that I bought. In that limited comparison I wasn't able to test either, other than to determine the '10's ride quality didn't seem to suffer from the stiffening of the suspension, and both seemed pretty compliant on their 20's.

Enjoy your new ride...and we're going to need to see pic!

Bruce

Old 03-31-2012, 04:19 PM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Good choice

Old 03-31-2012, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

Are you serious? Were you looking at this car?

Wow - small world. I drove my 07 to them from Atlanta and then drove the 10 back. I gave them their asking price - the car lists for over $70K with the low mileage so they were just getting the trade money back I guess. I promise I will take good care of it.

Sounds like you got a nice one anyway.

Hey - they still have a Vantage V8 convertible...

Originally Posted by Evoking
So you're the joker that bought that car out from under me ;-). I was negotiating on and they didn't want to move. So I let my offer sit for a day... then you bought it! Nice car for sure. So I went up the street and bought a new 11' Blk on tan. Same Nevis wheels, red calipers etc. Will pick it up Weds. We're also moving back to Dallas in May. Perhaps we can plan a little meet. Will be doing some wheels, springs and eventually exhaust. It is critical there be 0 drone!

Old 03-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Bruce.

Well, it's definitely a stiffer ride than my 07, but not harsh. So, again props to the Michelin Pilot sport tires - my wife rode with me earlier today and commented on quiet they were and said she wanted some of those tires.

Performance and handling: I had 19's on my 07, Vredestein's. They hugged the road, but the 07 was a bit soft in sharp turns. Some probably due to the extra tire sidewall and some probably due to the less stiff suspension. The 10 is definitely a few (or more) steps above the 07, and take turns with no effort. And the acceleration in "S" mode - geezus. And "D" is fast as hell - much more so than my 07. As I said I have not tried Race mode - I don't even know where I could do that given what it will do in "S" mode. This is a Coupe, BTW. I still think the Coupe's are stiffer (body) than the Convertible (understandably).

The adaptive cruise control will take some getting used too. I would like to turn the adaptive part off.

So yesterday on my way home, I was on I20 - I was taking it easy with my cruise set on 75 MPH. There would be people coming up be hind me at a high rate of speed, and I would wait for them to go by - sometimes to change lanes - and for some reason they did not go by for a bit longer than I expected. This happened a few times. Finally, after about the 5th or 6th car to do this I realized what was happening. They were getting up to the back of the car and slowing down to look at it, and then going on by.

I know some don't like Black, but I love the color on this car and this Ultimate Black is stunning.

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Congratulations...it sounds like the performance has exceeded your expectations! I'd be curious to know how you would compare them from a handling standpoint. I test drove an '09 XKR and then the '10 that I bought. In that limited comparison I wasn't able to test either, other than to determine the '10's ride quality didn't seem to suffer from the stiffening of the suspension, and both seemed pretty compliant on their 20's.

Enjoy your new ride...and we're going to need to see pic!

Bruce

Old 03-31-2012, 07:58 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Yep, I was dealing on it. It worked out though because you desrved it after that drive from ATL! I'm surprised you made the drive without a deposite to hold it.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:16 PM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

There was one just like that in the showroom in Huntsville. Except it was the 175th package car and an 11. Those cars are just beautiful. I love the cranberry contrast stitching on the black.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member

I made the offer and put a $1000 deposit on it last Monday. I would not have gone if the deal were not solid.

Originally Posted by Evoking
Yep, I was dealing on it. It worked out though because you desrved it after that drive from ATL! I'm surprised you made the drive without a deposite to hold it.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
I know some don't like Black, but I love the color on this car and this Ultimate Black is stunning.
Black is stunning on just about everything...pain to keep clean, but stunning when it is. I'm looking forward to taking my black Supra in to have it all polished up to get rid of swirls and marks.

I almost took a photo of my silver car today to post because I've been driving it for two weeks since pulling off the winter cover, still haven't washed it, and it still looks pretty good...even the wheels! I've put a few hundred miles on it, combination of stop and go city, highway, got caught in the rain, and last evening it even got covered by a fluke snow shower before parking it in the garage. I'd have preferred black, but this nice silver one came up and it's still quite the attention *****!

I assume when you save "race" mode you mean "dynamic" mode?

Bruce

Old 03-31-2012, 10:57 PM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Bruce,

Any updates on the bad gas engine hiccup?

Old 04-01-2012, 04:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Cool trade , you did a good job . I agree on the Panamera ,one of the ugliest cars ever made

Old 04-01-2012, 07:44 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by RegentV12
Cool trade , you did a good job . I agree on the Panamera ,one of the ugliest cars ever made

While the Panamera has the ugliest rear end I've ever seen, the interior of that car is the most beautiful space that I've ever been in.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member

Yea, I mean Dynamic mode. I got that in my head when I was talking to the Porsche guys...apparently they have a Race mode on some of their cars. That's what they were calling it.

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Black is stunning on just about everything...pain to keep clean, but stunning when it is. I'm looking forward to taking my black Supra in to have it all polished up to get rid of swirls and marks.

I almost took a photo of my silver car today to post because I've been driving it for two weeks since pulling off the winter cover, still haven't washed it, and it still looks pretty good...even the wheels! I've put a few hundred miles on it, combination of stop and go city, highway, got caught in the rain, and last evening it even got covered by a fluke snow shower before parking it in the garage. I'd have preferred black, but this nice silver one came up and it's still quite the attention *****!

I assume when you save "race" mode you mean "dynamic" mode?

Bruce

Old 04-01-2012, 08:25 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Seems Board Walk Porche already has your 07 up for sale. I want an XKR too.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

Really? Well I can tell you I took good care of it. I had it inspected at Hennessey Jag when I had the AC drain fixed and it got a clean bill of health.

It will be a great car for someone!

Originally Posted by MikalMuh
Seems Board Walk Porche already has your 07 up for sale. I want an XKR too.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats on the new car, that is a long drive back home but I'm sure the new Jag made it feel far to short

Old 04-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Congrats on the trade. The 5L sounds to be a really substantial upgrade from the 4.2L.

One of the reasons I got an '08 instead of the '10 was the engine oil accessibility. I hate the idea of having to take my car to the dealer for an oil change. But, I could live with it, once a year. Now, if I had to take it to the dealer (two hours roundtrip drive away) just to top off the engine oil, due to normal oil usage over that long change intervals, that would not make me happy.

I think Jaguar should have left the access to the engine oil up to the owners. When they do something like this, they potentially effect the long-term "image" of the cars as older cars in the hands of less affluent people will see neglect when those owners will balk at the dealer maintenance mandates.

Albert

Old 04-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

I checked the manual and could only find general info. My apologies for my ignorance on this, but are you saying it doesn't have a normal drain plug anymore? This is something I did not know if so...

The oil filler cap is in plain view, so I could add oil if I had to. I like to change my own oil, so this will be something I will not like if I cannot change my own oil.

Edit:
I answered my own question. According to a Jag tech, we must use Castrol SXL 5W-20 or the factory warranty will be voided. The oil is "sucked" out through the small tube inside the oil filler cap. Also, they are the only ones that can reset the service interval setting in the display.

Oh well, will just have to take it to the dealer for the oil change and service. Another interesting point is that the oil change isn't required for 15K miles.

I guess the Castrol SXL oil is better than others like Mobil 1.

Originally Posted by axr6
Congrats on the trade. The 5L sounds to be a really substantial upgrade from the 4.2L.

One of the reasons I got an '08 instead of the '10 was the engine oil accessibility. I hate the idea of having to take my car to the dealer for an oil change. But, I could live with it, once a year. Now, if I had to take it to the dealer (two hours roundtrip drive away) just to top off the engine oil, due to normal oil usage over that long change intervals, that would not make me happy.

I think Jaguar should have left the access to the engine oil up to the owners. When they do something like this, they potentially effect the long-term "image" of the cars as older cars in the hands of less affluent people will see neglect when those owners will balk at the dealer maintenance mandates.

Albert

Last edited by rscultho; 04-01-2012 at 12:55 PM.

Quick Reply: So I traded my 2007 XKR for a 2010 XKR...