XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Start Problem......

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Start Problem......

It happened again this weekend. Press the brakes then press the start button.....car cranks then dies. Brakes and start button still pressed during this time.Try to start it a second time and it fires right up. Car has been at the dealer for thisand of course it starts right up whenever its there. Dealer advise they can't do anything if they don't see it occur.

Has anyone have this issue?

Old 01-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Start Problem......

Yes. I just purchased the car about three weeks ago and it has happened now about three times. Twice I had to start it three times, the third with my left foot on the brake, and right on the accelerator. Felt like it wasn't getting enough gas?

Old 01-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Start Problem......

I also have had that, first time nothing happens, then either I put the car into neutral, or make sure the shifter is fully engaged in Park and the next time it seems to start. I have no idea if the car was not fully engaged, or just luck that it started the second time. The dealer was never able to find the problem either.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

You guy's are scaring me! I'll get my new to me 07 xkr this week. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:33 AM

i think your starter button is starting to fail...seen this a few times

Old 01-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default brake switch

I would check the brake switches, there's a tsb about this issue. Not sure if the car will crank with a bad switch and not start, or not crank at all but everything lights up, but its worth checking.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:40 PM

whatever happened? did anyone get this problem solved? is there a sticky with a list os tsb for the xk?

Old 04-17-2011, 12:47 AM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Never acted up again as of last year....problem went away.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:13 AM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I had something like this occur with me. Went out and started the car and it wouldn't idle but tried to run. When I pressed the accel pedal, it backfired and wouldn't rev up. I finally had enough and shut it off. I cranked it right back and it ran fine. Hasn't done this since.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

I don’t know if this will help anyone here, but I’ll relate this experience.

Several years ago a guy bought a ’07 XK Convertible here. Shortly thereafter he began calling saying it wouldn’t start all the time. Of course, it ALWAYS started for us. He called us one day with a no-start, so my boss and I jumped in a car and went to his house. Sure enough, it wouldn’t start; he handed me the key and I got in and it started right up. He was beside himself. So I started hooking up the diagnostic equip we brought along, and while it was doing its thing to see if any faults were in there we chatted. I noticed his other car in the open garage, a Mercedes sedan. He looked at me and said “You know, even that car never gave me a bit of crap until I brought this XK home.” ?????
I’ll shorten this up a bit. The Mercedes was also a keyless car, and we ultimately proved that if he carried BOTH keys on his person, there was a percentage of the time the cars were no-starts. From then on he only carried one key with him, or put the other one in the boot, and he never had any more no-starts. Go figure!

The only other incident I know of, a fellow called us about a no-start XK and was asked if he had another keyless car, he did. We advised him to carry only one at a time……..no more no-starts.

I can’t explain it, but there you have it……………

Cheers,

Old 04-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 07XKJaguar
I had something like this occur with me. Went out and started the car and it wouldn't idle but tried to run. When I pressed the accel pedal, it backfired and wouldn't rev up. I finally had enough and shut it off. I cranked it right back and it ran fine. Hasn't done this since.
With all that going on did the car throw any codes? I'm reading two distinct problems in this thread:

1. Car's not starting due to the Keyless fob or some odd electrical gremlin associated with the Keyless start function
2. Some internal electrical/mechanical issue causing a rough start/idle with the engine, fuel injection or some internal fault of the motor itself etc

I could be wrong but they appear to be two separate issues that have different trouble shooting paths and fixes.

Tom

Old 04-24-2011, 11:37 PM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Mine's not fob related because the car actually started and ran. After the engine was running is when I had this problem. I have noticed here recently that it has developed a miss but when I try to narrow it down, it corrects itself.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:52 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I had my first frustrating experience with the crank/no start and crank/start/die issue yesterday. My '07 now has 32K on the odometer, and I had driven it earlier in the day without a problem. It took about 10 tries before the car started up and ran, and no messages were displayed on the dashboard.

I ran a few errands without further issue until (happily), I brought it into the shop to check for any error/fault codes. The car wouldn't start at first when the service rep tried it, but then fired up after a few cranks the second time.

Unfortunately, so far no more start issues and NO CODES recorded.

Anyone who had this issue, was a diagnosis ever made?

Old 06-21-2012, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostriderXKR08
It happened again this weekend. Press the brakes then press the start button.....
Try this instead - press the start button first, then press the brake pedal. See my previous post:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...se-time-57460/

Stuart

Old 06-22-2012, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Very interesting. Could it be that simple?!

Old 06-22-2012, 09:12 AM

The car did it again, right before I had to head to a job interview. It took four tries before it would start and stay started.

I will certainly give your suggestion a try! Thanks!

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Try this instead - press the start button first, then press the brake pedal. See my previous post:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...se-time-57460/

Stuart

Old 06-22-2012, 02:34 PM

UPDATE: At least for me, it's apparently not that simple. It took five tries to get the car to start and stay started, regardless of whether I pressed the start button first or pressed on the brake pedal first. I called my shop and they've asked me to leave the car over the weekend so a technician can drive it and hopefully duplicate the problem. They (Rosenthal Jaguar) think there's a TSB on the issue (I haven't found one). Here's hoping they can figure out what's going on.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Funny, I'm about to head to Rosenthal Jaguar to test drive their 2009 XKR 'vert in light blue (not going to buy it, just want to drive it!).

Old 06-22-2012, 04:11 PM

Feast your eyes on the XKR-S in their showroom while you're there. (With the $132K sticker price!)

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Funny, I'm about to head to Rosenthal Jaguar to test drive their 2009 XKR 'vert in light blue (not going to buy it, just want to drive it!).

Quick Reply: Start Problem......