XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Status

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 11:56 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Status

I wonder how many Jag owners are like me.

I got to thinking that some really like to gush at how 'gentlemanly' or 'adult' or 'classy' or whatever the typical Jaguar owner is.

From my standpoint, that's a load of horse hockey. How does a car, a phone, a house, etc say anything about anybody?

In other words, was 'status' part of the reason that you bought your Jaguar?

For me, perceived status was actually a turn-off of getting into the Jaguar brand.

I like rarity to a certain extent, but I buy stuff (cars, toys, clothes, etc.) to impress myself, not others. I couldn't care less if someone thinks I'm driving a POS or an amazing machine. Each polar opinion has an equal value to me...about zero. I suppose I'm a dick that way, but I don't need nor want validation of an object. It doesn't take skill or talent to BUY something.

When I bought my current Jag, I didn't tell anybody about it (besides the wife of course) and I didn't show it off at my office. Some people came up to me 6 months after the fact and said 'so that's YOUR Jag!'. Some of my more casual friends have never even seen it and I've never driven anyone (outside the wife) in it . We own other cars, but I view them in a similar way. Don't ask, don't tell if you will.

I actually find displays of 'wealth' embarrassing. Sometimes (maybe most times) showy cars actually demonstrate how NOT wealthy a person is. Unfortunately, its a game that far too many (particularly in the US) love to play.

So I struggle a little as a Jag owner. I greatly enjoy the car personally, but at the same time, I don't want to receive any attention over it either. Yeah, I realize that maybe I bought the wrong make. At this moment though, the enjoyment still outweighs the attention.

I imagine it would be hard for anyone to admit that status was at least a little in their mind when they got their Jaguar, but lets see what you say!

The following users liked this post:
jahummer (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

I am very much the same way, or I wouldn't still have it after 8 years, I'd be buying a new one every year or I'd be driving something flashier and probably a lot more expensive. I also love how uncommon they are. I also have a Mercedes E-class, and they are a dime a dozen here I almost hate driving it.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:32 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

I'm 100% with you, couldn't have said it any better. I've been around arrogant people they turn my stomach. I got my Jag because in 2007 I thought it was a gorgeous car said someday I'll own one. I have never bought anything to impress others side from a Armani suit for client meetings. What people think or say about me holds ZERO importance in my life unless it's those whom I care about. Image means nothing to me once I learned that lesson life got much less complicated and less stressful. Not until that is learned can one be "authentic". The Jag is a car, a pretty car but still just a car not a measurement stick of importance, status, wealth, success, and certainly doesn't make us any better than any other person... except maybe Buick or Oldsmobile drivers

[22QUOTE=Slee_Stack;1465616]I wonder how many Jag owners are like me.

I got to thinking that some really like to gush at how 'gentlemanly' or 'adult' or 'classy' or whatever the typical Jaguar owner is.

From my standpoint, that's a load of horse hockey. How does a car, a phone, a house, etc say anything about anybody?

In other words, was 'status' part of the reason that you bought your Jaguar?

For me, perceived status was actually a turn-off of getting into the Jaguar brand.

I like rarity to a certain extent, but I buy stuff (cars, toys, clothes, etc.) to impress myself, not others. I couldn't care less if someone thinks I'm driving a POS or an amazing machine. Each polar opinion has an equal value to me...about zero. I suppose I'm a dick that way, but I don't need nor want validation of an object. It doesn't take skill or talent to BUY something.

When I bought my current Jag, I didn't tell anybody about it (besides the wife of course) and I didn't show it off at my office. Some people came up to me 6 months after the fact and said 'so that's YOUR Jag!'. Some of my more casual friends have never even seen it and I've never driven anyone (outside the wife) in it . We own other cars, but I view them in a similar way. Don't ask, don't tell if you will.

I actually find displays of 'wealth' embarrassing. Sometimes (maybe most times) showy cars actually demonstrate how NOT wealthy a person is. Unfortunately, its a game that far too many (particularly in the US) love to play.

So I struggle a little as a Jag owner. I greatly enjoy the car personally, but at the same time, I don't want to receive any attention over it either. Yeah, I realize that maybe I bought the wrong make. At this moment though, the enjoyment still outweighs the attention.

I imagine it would be hard for anyone to admit that status was at least a little in their mind when they got their Jaguar, but lets see what you say![/QUOTE]

Old 05-20-2016, 12:54 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I can relate to the OP, and I agree it's all BS.

Years ago back in England I bought a tidy used BMW 320i. After a few weeks there was a discussion at tea brake over parking around our building and somebody piped up "...and what building does the guy with the BMW work in?" I of course just said, "Oh, that's mine", and the result was every head in the room swivelled in my direction with lots of "Oh REALLY!!" and the like.

Even funnier was when I was given a Mercedes rental car because the company had run out of Fords and GMs that day. So I travel to a training venue and I'm just getting a pre-lecture cup of coffee and a guy I know comes up to me with big eyes and says "Did I just see you arrive in a MERCEDES?!?!" The reaction was instantaneous. ALL the girls on the course immediately start scanning the room to see who mentioned Mercedes, it was freakin' hysterical.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:01 PM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

I bought both of mine for me, and no one else.

I must, however, tell this story about my wife regarding our first Jag (2002 XK). We were on our way back from a volleyball tournament my daughter played in, and came to a stop on the highway. While we're waiting for the light to change, my wife - who is as straight laced as they come - looks at me out of the blue and says, "This is a cool fvking car." Had I not been sitting down, you could have pushed me over with a feather.

So I guess I impressed the one person I truly care to impress. SCORE!

agentorange (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Oh My God, what a bunch of delusional snobs with a stick up their bums.

Its the same sort of delusional whine you hear from chicks who dress provocatively- They say the same thing ' I wish people would focus on the inner me (alter ego) and not my Jaguar, I merely bought it for transportation' lol

Its an undeniable thing of beauty and opulence, revel in it. Part of the 'coming of age' of owing anything good is being able pull it off. Thats what people are actually inquiring about- if you have the minerals or a wannabe. Tell them its the cheapest car you could find that suited your taste.

Besides- no one thinks you are rich in a Jaguar- thats in your head, have you seen the other cars on the road?? they rent NEW Maseratis at Enterprise Rent A car- i.e cheap rentals. What they think is 'this guys is different- wonder how'

Now if you sign the back of a paycheck, it behooves you to dress down and not flaunt. However, if you are a rainmaker- drive that thing in on a Saturday morning and park it sideways in the parking spot.

Get a grip guys. This sounds like a AA meeting.

The following 3 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
apost8n8 (05-20-2016), Sparky H (03-11-2021), tampamark (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Slee_Stack
This is a subject that comes up on high-end car boards all the time. It has been discussed in this forum before, there is no real answer here. You are really working to prove to us and yourself that this wasn't about status, the reality is you drive a wonderful machine and not a POS.

Some say that denying the status portion of this is Affluenza, at least the "guilty feeling of wealth" portion of that definition.

We bought a car that has perceived status by the vast majority of people including those that own the car, as you state above you know this car has that status. Does it matter that you do not care about the status or seek it, you bought a car with status so every person outside of your sphere will think that was your motivation. Some cars have stigma's like the Corvette as the mid-life crisis car for the middle aged man. This has a "status seeking" stigma and you there is no way for you to avoid it.

Personally, I can afford nicer cars and therefore I buy nicer cars, so yes status come into play somewhat. I don't parade my car in the front everywhere I go, I don't really care if anyone see's me in it or not. I have friends with the same income and financial standing who don't care about such things and bought a Camry or Buick, that is not caring about status. Is my motivation to show that I have money or to enjoy my purchase? Who cares, all I know is I can afford a much more expensive car and my Jag is my conservative purchase. I guess for me it is easy since my daily driver is a company car, a Chevy Malibu. It is free and nothing outlandish, although I could take an allowance and get a much nicer car if I wished, but driving that around all day keeps me grounded. The Jag is my Wife's daily car, now she is used to the high-life!

Queen and Country (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 02:13 PM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Slee_Stack
I wonder how many Jag owners are like me.
Hopefully, very few.

You clearly bought the wrong car then.

I like rarity to a certain extent, but I buy stuff (cars, toys, clothes, etc.) to impress myself, not others. I couldn't care less if someone thinks I'm driving a POS or an amazing machine.
But you felt you really had to post here about it?

I suppose I'm a dick that way, but I don't need nor want validation of an object.
But you felt you really had to post here about it?

We own other cars, but I view them in a similar way. Don't ask, don't tell if you will.
Not asking. Nothing is very interesting here after a decent Jag.

I actually find displays of 'wealth' embarrassing.
A common feeling amongst the NOT wealthy, apparently.

So I struggle a little as a Jag owner. I greatly enjoy the car personally, but at the same time, I don't want to receive any attention over it either.
You need to seek professional help. You are clearly Bi-Polar.

Yeah, I realize that maybe I bought the wrong make. At this moment though, the enjoyment still outweighs the attention.
You may yet be able to be salvaged.

I imagine it would be hard for anyone to admit that status was at least a little in their mind when they got their Jaguar, but lets see what you say!
Not really. Guilty as charged, m'Lud. You are clearly from another planet. Zarg? There are only three things involved here (in no particular order) 1) Status 2) Neck-snapping performance (need a 5L XKR for this which happily I do have) and 3) Stunning beauty and grace.

Were you drunk when you posted this?

Really need to update my sig to include Snoozy, my 11MY Claret XK Dynamic 'R'. First though, another malt

(Still have Nessie, the XK8 though lol)

Last edited by jima; 05-20-2016 at 02:21 PM. Reason: OK, did the Sig thig. Time for another single malt :)
The following 4 users liked this post by jima:
1 of 19 (07-20-2021), AllblueACR (05-30-2016), Island Maser (03-11-2021), Sparky H (03-11-2021)
Old 05-20-2016, 02:16 PM
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Lol, I drive a jag because it's badass, fun to drive and look at, AND because even a 10year old design still turns heads. You're fooling yourself if Jag's luxury status isn't a big reason you own one.

tampamark (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

There are a few reasons like looks , it's a convertible , it cost a ton new but is affordable used , it is exclusive , my bride likes to ride/drive it and it suits my ego. Coming off of the rawness of my old Ferrari this more then meets my needs. Parade anyone.

tampamark (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Leeper
I'm 100% with you, couldn't have said it any better. What people think or say about me holds ZERO importance in my life
Not even a shrink? Do you see the conundrum- if you and Slee dont care what people think about you then why do you care what people think about your Jaguar.

I loved this Freudian tell "I actually find displays of 'wealth' embarrassing. Showy cars actually demonstrate how NOT wealthy a person is." So it should not be a problem right? lol

Old 05-20-2016, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Just because I own a Jaguar does not mean I have money. I worked hard to collect the funds to even buy the Jaguar XKR. Standing on a street corner in cold weather was not fun.

Please don't put me in the category of a snobby Jaguar owner. I wear blue jeans that haven't been washed in 6 months.

But the bottom line is, I DID IT!

Attached Thumbnails Status-working-jaguar.jpg  

Last edited by richzak; 05-20-2016 at 03:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by richzak:
AllblueACR (05-30-2016), tampamark (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Originally Posted by jima
... But you felt you really had to post here about it? ...You need to seek professional help. You are clearly Bi-Polar. ... You may yet be able to be salvaged. ...
I bought my 2 Jaguars because it was cheaper and more fun than a psychiatrist!

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
richzak (05-20-2016), sharx8 (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 04:36 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Can I love and hate it at the same time?

I love the car is gorgeous and looks like a million bucks. I bought the car because its gorgeous (and fast and exclusive). And the looks from people that go with it (assuming it will be like having the jr +++). Not going to love the opinion I am going to get from some people that I am 'some rich kid who doesn't know how to handle money'. That being said, I don't care enough to have kept it out of the garage. I don't think you get one without the other anyways. So sometimes I like the status (random people, car guys friends), sometimes I don't (coworkers).

Also, I got the car car because I can still hear the lady at the Jaguar booth when they introduced the car. 'How do you define gorgeous? We here at Jaguar define gorgeous as....'

Last edited by EastCoastYost; 05-20-2016 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member

I bought a Jaguar so I could blend in a little more and not give the impression that I have money.

I know there are people starving in this world and all, but no one knows how painful it really is to be perceived as well-to-do. I see those refugees drowning (on my big screen) and think they have no clue how hard it really is, at least they are getting positive attention, and no one automatically assumes that they need to valet their cars. Maybe they can relate, I have to sneak in the backdoor at 9:00 and park half a block away from the office.

Oh how I envy those guys in their invisible Toyota Camrys and Bmws. I will buy a convertible next time.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

When I bought my first "nice" car, a Porsche Boxster, everyone made a big fuss. People with $60k trucks would say that my $50k lowly Boxster was something special. I was concerned with pointing out that it wasn't status that made me buy that car, but that it was for other non-vain reasons.

I have a buddy that buys nice cars and is overt in his desire to show his status. He points it out, parks up front, makes sure people see his key while sitting at the bar, silly stuff like that. He is not ashamed of his desire for others to recognize his "status". I would laugh at him and point out how vain he is, but he was able to poke holes in my logic as to why I was free of such vanity. He is very quick witted fellow and no slouch in an argument.

When I traded the Boxster for a BMW 650 he really had me over a barrel. I went even further up the food chain by buying a car with a $90k msrp and even more perceived status. I gave up and admitted that indeed I do have vanity and status issues. It took a while, but he was right...

Old 05-20-2016, 06:42 PM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I've had four Jags, 2 XKRs and I would buy another XKR if I change Country, why? Because it is how they make ME feel when I sit in the car, when I drive the car and even when I polish the vehicle. I'm not too bothered in what others think but it's always nice when the car gets a compliment from a passer by, because they are sharing my delight in the beauty

AllblueACR (05-30-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
I am very much the same way, or I wouldn't still have it after 8 years, I'd be buying a new one every year or I'd be driving something flashier and probably a lot more expensive. I also love how uncommon they are. I also have a Mercedes E-class, and they are a dime a dozen here I almost hate driving it.
Jahummer looks like we have similar taste I also have a eclass the e550 it has power to boot but doesn't feel no where as special to drive compared to the jag

Old 05-20-2016, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

I hardly look like a jaguar owner I'm not your stereotypical owner what so ever

My hands are regularly covered in black grease from the workshop and in between family / work I can be found lifting weights .

The only time I guess I could pass as a respectable jaguar owner is on Sundays when Im actually wearing appropriate polo shirts

The reason I went the jaguar was firstly I needed a 2+2 , wanted something exotic and good value for many it just so happens it has one of sexiest bodies to hit the road

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 05-20-2016 at 09:00 PM.
jons (07-28-2021)
Old 05-21-2016, 07:33 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
I loved this Freudian tell "I actually find displays of 'wealth' embarrassing. Showy cars actually demonstrate how NOT wealthy a person is." So it should not be a problem right? lol
Actual quote:
I actually find displays of 'wealth' embarrassing. Sometimes (maybe most times) showy cars actually demonstrate how NOT wealthy a person is.
You must be the King...excuse me Queen... of twisted context and...

Not even a shrink? Do you see the conundrum- if you and Slee dont care what people think about you then why do you care what people think about your Jaguar.
...tortured logic.

But all said, I did enjoy the responses, even being called Bipolar. I like that.

Just because I don't care what others think about my CAR doesn't mean I don't care what (or how) people think about other things. Ergo this posting.

Quick Reply: Status