XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sticker shock!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 04:37 PM
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Sticker shock!

I received a low battery message about my smart key on the driver info center. So I bought two $3.00 batteries to replace the old ones and did the replacement in one of the fobs. I then went out to the car and nothing worked. I rechecked the manual for coding the key to the car and found nothing.

I then called the local Jaguar dealership and was informed it would cost $160.00 to do the programing. He mentioned it takes an hour to do the programing. After a minor rant on my part he said he would do both fobs for the $160.00. I am starting to miss my Vette, (not really) where you would program them yourself.

Oh well, I guess that's life in the fast lane.

Last edited by Cadillac; 03-30-2011 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Let me understand this.

1. The car announces your fob needs a new batteries
2. You go buy some $3 replacement batteries
3. You replace the battery in your fob
4. The car doesn't recognize the fob and "nothing worked"
5. You call local dealer and they want $160 to "re-program" the car

This is BS. I have some questions

1. Have you solved the problem?
2. Was it really caused by replacing the fob batteries?
3. Is this a normal out come of replacing fob batteries?
4. Are you under warranty?

I ask because if this is "normal" Jaguar behavior as it may cause me to rethink my purchase of a pre-owned 08. Is this something the warranty should cover. If it is (and I buy the 08) I will replace both fob's batteries before the warranty expires and force Jaguar to cover the costs.

These are the kinds of horror stories that folks like me (looking to buy a high end Euro luxury car) have heard and feared for decades. You know the $200 air filter or oil change.

And 35 views and no other comments etc??

Tom

Last edited by TomServo; 03-30-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little over a year ago I had the same message in the info center of my ’07 XK. I replaced the key fob battery with no problems. The OP might try another set of batteries, and of course, make sure their inserted correctly.
If you buy a new/used fob expect to have to pay a dealer to program it.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:48 AM

Tom,

I will go to the dealership tomorrow. He did not say if it would be under warranty, I doubt it as the battery would be a wear item. FYI, my warranty is up today. I called about the fob yesterday and scheduled an appointment for tomorrow so we'll see what happens.

tomjc422,

I have tried three batteries including the old one and still no luck. Pretty sure I have placed them in correctly as I have had plenty of practice at this point.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Nevette
Tom,

I will go to the dealership tomorrow. He did not say if it would be under warranty, I doubt it as the battery would be a wear item. FYI, my warranty is up today. I called about the fob yesterday and scheduled an appointment for tomorrow so we'll see what happens.
At this point I wouldn't say anything about replacing the batteries, I'd just say the fob's stopped working and let them sort it out.

Tom

Old 03-30-2011, 08:21 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

There was a Jaguar item to replace the fobs on some of the older cars (not working or working intermittently). Mine were replaced for free (I have an 08). You also need to be aware that the dealer cannot...repeat cannot reprogram a fob that has not been unmated from a car. Just so everyone knows a used fob is probably only good as parts because of this.
Now as far as the programming is concerned I also call the charge a bunch of crap. I would fool around with the fob, try sticking in the fob in the receiver receptacle in the center console. If the car starts it does not need to be reprogrammed. Check the batteries as others have mentioned and make sure they are the right ones (voltage and type) and also put in right. I messed around with my fobs alot and never had a problem losing the programming. Sounds jacked up to me and I wouldn't pay...fight the man...isn't it great we used to get a replacement key for less than a dollar....now it can be a thousand dollars (literally, if you needed fobs, keys and programming for a couple of sets of keyfobs it would be over a thousand dollars)...now tell me that isn't highway robbery.
But again I would mention Jaguar replaced the fobs at no charge to users for what sounds very much like what the problem you are having...you really have to stick up for yourself not only with underhanded dealers but with Jaguar North America...they have demonstrated time and time again (as detailed in many threads here on this forum) to only be casually interested in the buyers of their vehicles after the deal is done and then it is hit or miss, miss, miss...you're out....ahhhh...the good old days when the dealer had your back...

Old 03-31-2011, 07:14 PM

Update,

Just got back from the dealer and found out the fob was bad and needs to be replace. The cost is $143.00 for the fob and $160.00 to program it. I mentioned to the service writer that I called about the problem on the last day of my warranty. He checked it out and said they would order one and cover the new fob under warranty but I would still have to pay the $160.00 to program it. Oh well, can't win them all. So I'm back to the original charge but I get a new fob, whoopee!

I found out why the fob didn't work when I changed the battery. I took to long to change the battery and reassemble the fob. Evidently, the fob will hold it's info for only about 45 seconds after removing the old battery and I was too slow.

p.s. to Cadillac "mia culpa"

Old 03-31-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Nevette
Update,

Just got back from the dealer and found out the fob was bad and needs to be replace. The cost is $143.00 for the fob and $160.00 to program it. I mentioned to the service writer that I called about the problem on the last day of my warranty. He checked it out and said they would order one and cover the new fob under warranty but I would still have to pay the $160.00 to program it. Oh well, can't win them all. So I'm back to the original charge but I get a new fob, whoopee!

I found out why the fob didn't work when I changed the battery. I took to long to change the battery and reassemble the fob. Evidently, the fob will hold it's info for only about 45 seconds after removing the old battery and I was too slow.

p.s. to Cadillac "mia culpa"
Good news, glad dealer worked with you. These cars are too damed expensive for them to abandon owners.

Tom

Old 03-31-2011, 10:28 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Dealer recently replaced 1 of my 2 fobs under Jaguar Select Edition extended warranty (2007 XK). No cost. They apparently have to use the IDS system to program the new fob. Apparently DIY battery replacement has to be done quickly, though I thought more than 45 sec.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

It's still good news
Have happy driving