XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

STOLEN - 2009 XKR P/E Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STOLEN - 2009 XKR P/E Coupe

Well, it's no fun to have to make this post but while my new Jag was awaiting transport pick up in Orlando on Sunday, it was stolen. I've been in touch with the dealer and detectives in the area who, based on stolen car history, it will be recovered but I'm not really sure what to do. I have notified my insurance company. Nobody is certain if it technically belongs to me being that I haven't taken delivery and it was not in my care and control although it's been paid for but I haven't transferred the title yet. Either way, it sucks. I have been anxiously awaiting its arrival now that the roads in Northern Michigan are clear enough to drive it. Hopefully it's recovered soon but hard to say how I'll handle it with regards to type and severity of damage.

I'll keep you all posted. Keep your eyes peeled

Attached Thumbnails STOLEN - 2009 XKR P/E Coupe-side-front.png  
Old 03-18-2015, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Sorry to hear and hope if it is recovered it is not to damaged. As to who owns it I guess if you have a bill of sale then you own it. Also did you have it insured prior to shipment.You may have to go after the dealer and the shipper so be prepared. Good luck

Old 03-18-2015, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,888 Likes on 1,282 Posts

Ok, that just sucks.
As the Romanian guy in my office says, 'they need to institute impalement as a punishment for crimes, that's a pretty good deterrent', rather than the slap on the wrist that this offender, if caught, will likely get.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Wow, that really sucks. Sorry to hear that. I know how long it can take to find the right XK.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

What a bummer! Hope they located it soon and return it without damage. On the other hand it may already be in a transport for a foreign country :-(.

At the least I hope you recover your funds. Please let us know of the outcome.

How was it stolen? Was it locked or was the FOB left in it during transport?

Old 03-18-2015, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member

At this point, I'm not sure I'd want it. Will the title be branded? Surely it will appear on any Carfax report!

Old 03-18-2015, 06:21 PM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Sorry to hear this. The dealer surely has some serious explaining to do.

I hope you get out of this with zero financial loss.

Graham

Old 03-18-2015, 07:21 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Similar version in 'vert form here for $35K if you need to replace.

My condolences on the loss. The shipper or dealer will be on the hook for this, but getting your money back may not be instant. Good luck.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:38 PM
Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Nuff said above, really sucks.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Really sucks big time.......hope to hear how you get on in a positive way

Good luck

Old 03-18-2015, 09:59 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

Damn, that sucks. You spend all the time to pick the car and commit to it and never get to drive it as your own. If the car was stolen from the dealers lot they are responsible for it until it leaves. Delivery time will depend on who is paying and arranging the auto transport. Even if the car is in transport or at a pickup location and the dealer has arranged and billed you for the shipping the dealer is still responsible until it is unloaded and you accept the car. However, if the dealer conveyed title to you and you have arranged shipping the dealership has completed it's obligations and are simply holding the car for you pending pickup by your auto transporter; however, what constitutes delivery? I would argue delivery is when the auto transporter physically picks the car up if you paid the auto transporter directly. Consequently, ownership is still with the dealership. A good dealer will work with you through this to minimize any suffering on your part. I wish you luck and don't settle for anything less than ideal for you.

I feel your frustration. This is an interesting situation and I wish you the best. Keep us posted on what happens.

Last edited by DGL; 03-19-2015 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Sorry to hear it.

If you paid a lot then maybe consult a lawyer about your options - may be able to argue contract cannot be completed as agreed or that compensation will be due or ...

Old 03-19-2015, 08:24 PM
Default Recovered

My XKR was recovered yesterday unscathed miraculously. Transport is picking it up tomorrow and bringing it to me. I had real time video call with the detective with the car today. I wouldn't have guessed it had ever been stolen by the look of the condition. It has less than 30 more miles than prior to theft. I have no other choice at this point than to get it here and evaluate.

Thanks to all of you who replied. I will be sending a much more detailed update very soon.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NMichXKR
My XKR was recovered yesterday unscathed miraculously. Transport is picking it up tomorrow and bringing it to me. I had real time video call with the detective with the car today. I wouldn't have guessed it had ever been stolen by the look of the condition. It has less than 30 more miles than prior to theft. I have no other choice at this point than to get it here and evaluate.

Thanks to all of you who replied. I will be sending a much more detailed update very soon.
Great news . If it were me I would make sure that I have a copy of the police report both when it was reported stolen and the recovery. I would also notify the insurance company that when the car arrives I want it taken to the nearest Jaguar dealer to do something similar to the CPO inspection and if anything is out of sorts that the insurance covers it. Good luck

Old 03-19-2015, 08:42 PM

Jagtoes
Already done and done. I almost flew down today to inspect and drive it home but can't make it happen

Old 03-19-2015, 10:07 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

Great news. Carefully inspect the rims and undercarriage. I'm sure the tugs where concerned about driving over curbs etc. to escape quickly. Also, have the dealership sign off any work they may done to the car after recover to recondition it (scratch detailing and cosmetics repairs). Check the tires for unusual wear and abuse. On the delivery condition sign note any obvious damage.

I hope everything is as it was when you bought the car. Don't let this take the shine of your new car experience. Enjoy your new ride and be happy it was quickly recovered and delivered to you. Post some pictures when you get it.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

Sounds like you got real lucky. In 82 I had Porsche 928 stolen out of public garage I got it back about 10 days later. Had factory tech examine the car at my local dealer with the garage standing the cost of the inspection which they were happy to do given the alternative of replacing the car. You may want try the same tactic with the dealer or whoever had control of your car at the time of the theft.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member

Glad they found it! I guess those Jags are just too beautiful to scrap.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NMichXKR
Jagtoes
Already done and done. I almost flew down today to inspect and drive it home but can't make it happen

Great so now look forward and enjoy the ride. Have fun

Old 03-20-2015, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
At this point, I'm not sure I'd want it. Will the title be branded? Surely it will appear on any Carfax report!

Thinking the same thing. You certainly don't want a brand new car that has a tainted title. I'd check it out before delivery to see if you have any recourse.

Quick Reply: STOLEN - 2009 XKR P/E Coupe