XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Strange noise above left rear wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 11:28 AM
Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Strange noise above left rear wheel.

hmmm, somewhat baffled.

I noticed that a strange noise has appeared in my left rear wheel arch. It goes aways after about 20 sec, but reappear if I start driving.. Any ideas ?

Taking it to the dealer next week.

Noise is also audible in the rear trunk.

Petrol pump? Suspension? Need to change my battery?

Any input much appreciated...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsVO...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Stormdk; 04-10-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:21 PM
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Could it be the exhaust vacuum pump which should be behind the rear bumper, left hand side? I do hear it on mine, though not as pronounced as in the video; though it could be because of the recording.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Could it be the fuel pump?

Old 04-13-2014, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by ejjbee
Could it be the exhaust vacuum pump which should be behind the rear bumper, left hand side? I do hear it on mine, though not as pronounced as in the video; though it could be because of the recording.
Think you could be on to something.

I have noticed that I can make the noise appear if I rev the engine, at idle it goes away after 15 sec and not not reappear until I press the accelerator again. This then leads me to believe that it must have something to do with the vacuum system that is related to the original exhaust valve... Only thing is that I have an aftermarkt exhaust fitted, so perhaps the mechanic did not do a proper job of sealing the hose/valve ect... Anyway my two cents, and hope to get confirmation tomorrow when my mechanic will have a look...

Old 04-13-2014, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Stormdk
Think you could be on to something.

I have noticed that I can make the noise appear if I rev the engine, at idle it goes away after 15 sec and not not reappear until I press the accelerator again. This then leads me to believe that it must have something to do with the vacuum system that is related to the original exhaust valve... Only thing is that I have an aftermarkt exhaust fitted, so perhaps the mechanic did not do a proper job of sealing the hose/valve ect... Anyway my two cents, and hope to get confirmation tomorrow when my mechanic will have a look...
I'm not sure how the exhaust vacuum pump works but I do know its operation is related to engine revs and some other parameters.

A quick check would be to remove the pump fuse (the infamous fuse 19 behind the centre back seat) and deactivate the pump completely?

Anyways, good luck!

The following users liked this post:
Stormdk (04-13-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 01:58 PM

I love this forum

Thank you very much ejjbee... Cant beleive that I did not think of that my self (fuse 19).

It did the trick. nice and quit now.

EJJBEE, You saved me a bundle, and I now owe you a couple of beers or a bottle of fine wine, let me know if you ever in Copenhagen (Denmark) or Malmö (southern Sweden) ...

Cheers

PS. quit difficult to remove the cover for the fuse box, and looking in the manual did not provide much help, nearly ripped the whole dam thing appart..

The following users liked this post:
ejjbee (04-13-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Stormdk
I love this forum

Thank you very much ejjbee... Cant beleive that I did not think of that my self (fuse 19).

It did the trick. nice and quit now.

EJJBEE, You saved me a bundle, and I now owe you a couple of beers or a bottle of fine wine, let me know if you ever in Copenhagen (Denmark) or Malmö (southern Sweden) ...

Cheers

PS. quit difficult to remove the cover for the fuse box, and looking in the manual did not provide much help, nearly ripped the whole dam thing appart..
You're welcome, stormdk. Pleased to know advice was useful thanks for the invite, I'll enjoy Maltese summer for now but will take up your offer if I get lost