XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stuck in Sport Mode

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 09:37 PM
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Stuck in Sport Mode

My (new to me) 2008 XKR seems to be stuck in the Sport Mode. I don't seem to remember the gear changes being so quick and positive when I first started driving the car after I first got it a couple weeks ago... As I began to experiment with the controls a bit, I quite naturally needed to experience the sport mode driving difference.

Since then, I seem to think the car is still in the Sport Mode. Without my having to slide the gear lever to the left, into the Sport slot, I can still use the paddle shifters as if it were selected to do so. Is this a normal occurrence?

What re-sets the sport mode setting? Is there a switch that has malfunctioned??

Old 04-12-2017, 12:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,284 Posts

The paddles work in both D and S, that's normal. If in D and you pull a paddle, you'll see gear numbers appear in the display between the speedo and tach. It will automatically return to normal D mode after a few seconds of non-paddle use, or you can pull on both paddles at the same time, or flick the shifter over to S and then back to D.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,159 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
The paddles work in both D and S, that's normal. If in D and you pull a paddle, you'll see gear numbers appear in the display between the speedo and tach. It will automatically return to normal D mode after a few seconds of non-paddle use, or you can pull on both paddles at the same time, or flick the shifter over to S and then back to D.
..... or hold the upshift paddle for three seconds, will also return to Normal mode.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

If you car truly is in sports mode it should rev match as it changes down gears under heavy braking. It doesn't do that in D.

I also find if I move the gear lever from D to sport the revs will rise so that might be another clue for you.

The transmission is also adaptive so if you have only had it a few weeks it will be adapting to your driving. If I reset the transmission module adaptation on my 07 XKR it seems to change down at the slightest touch of the accelerator pedal but than becomes less responsive the more I drive it probably because most of my driving is city driving.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to reset sport mode

Can you explain how to reset the sport mode setting? I find that when driving hard in sport mode tranny not shifting and revs super high 7k RPM, before letting off gas. I understand that letting off the gas will shift, but seams not aways doing that... another thing is the Rev limiter (black button), when is that supposed to limit the revs? Doesn't seam to work on my car, when using in sport mode. Thanks

Old 04-12-2017, 05:48 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

black button?

So the car leans how you drive in about 30 minutes.. so if you start the car and go full throttle, it assumes you are a sporty driver and shifts later on up and earlier on down for a more sporty feel.. if you are easy and relaxed, the shifts are more gradual and relaxed too..

So.. just drive relaxed for around 10-15 minutes.. easy on the pedal and you will notice the car relaxing too..

Old 04-12-2017, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member

The black button is the 'speed limiter', which you can set to keep the car from going faster than a certain speed. Only useful if you drive in an area that is heavily monitored and you want to avoid tickets.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member

If you use a paddle, and now see a gear number display with a gear highlighted, the car will try to hold that gear no matter how you drive. If you see D or DS displayed, the car will shift by itself, with later shifts in DS.
If that's not happening, then maybe there is a problem.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Carhopkid
Can you explain how to reset the sport mode setting? I find that when driving hard in sport mode tranny not shifting and revs super high 7k RPM, before letting off gas. I understand that letting off the gas will shift, but seams not aways doing that... another thing is the Rev limiter (black button), when is that supposed to limit the revs? Doesn't seam to work on my car, when using in sport mode. Thanks
My 2012 operates somewhat like you say. When I first engage sport mode it will rev up high and not shift to the next gear whether I pull my foot off the gas or not, it just stays in that gear. After a couple of minutes it stops holding the gear so high. I guess the engineers figured when you first click over to sport you are ready for action and are looking for high-rev and instant power???

Old 04-12-2017, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Firecat17:

A simple question: do you not have the owner's manual for your car? Your concerns are fully explained there...you'll be amazed at what you can learn about the operation and features of your XK - giving this kind of information is the whole point of owners' manuals.
And the more you learn about the XK and the more you drive it, the more you will love it.

The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
peterv8 (06-07-2020), ralphwg (06-07-2020)
Old 04-12-2017, 04:07 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

The 'black button' you refer to does not limit revs, it limits speed. You set a speed and the car will warn you when you hit that and start creeping over it.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:26 PM

Gents...

Thank you for all the feedback and good info you've all shared. I may have jumped the gun on posing my question. I'm guessing the transmission isn't really locked into the Sport Mode, as I may have thought. Rather I guess it is learning my driving style, as was suggested. I think what has thrown me, if you will, is that the shift point from 1st to 2nd is very early on when feathering away from a stop, and the shift seemed to be quite positive. That said, the shift point just seemed a bit low and harsh. I guess maybe not, after all, and maybe it's just the design I am in need of getting used to...

I have driven a BMW M3 whose transmission functions relatively the same, yet different. Our 2015 XF 3.0 Portfolio has the same basic transmission, albeit an 8-speed, and though I seldom use the paddle shifters while in sport mode, I'm very familiar with the adaptive nature of its makeup. The XKR does rev on downshifting, as was stated earlier on, which is what I came to be used to in the M3.

I do have the owner's manual and I have been reading it regularly. There's certainly more to learn and I've got nothing but time to do so. I love the car and will be replacing the brakes and fitting new tires fairly soon. Those changes will make it a true wonder to drive.

It's good to see others have benefitted by my posing the question. Thanks again.

Last edited by Firecat17; 04-12-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Firecat17,
Because the XF has the 8spd and not the 6 the shifts have less rpm differences and therefore don't feel the same. I also find on my 2010 that sometimes in sport mode (and I always keep it in sport mode and use the paddles), I will let off slightly on the gas to initiate an upshift just to not enter the high rpm mode. And remember, outside of sport mode, the trans starts in 2nd gear so the transition is smoother. In sport mode starting in 1st, it wants to shift pretty early.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
Firecat17,
And remember, outside of sport mode, the trans starts in 2nd gear so the transition is smoother.
I can't speak for the 5.0L cars but in D auto and Sports auto on the 4.2L cars the gearbox always drops in to 1st gear when stationary.

The only time it will ever pull away in 2nd is if you have been using the flappy paddles and come to a halt without manually selecting 1st.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:32 PM

^^^ Yes, thats what I thought too. My car always leaves a stop sign in 1st gear, whilst in D.

Old 06-07-2020, 05:27 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

So I have experimented around town and highway with my 2014 XKR 5.0L in dynamic and Sport for a week.
Around town, Sport with Flags and downshifts are a thrill.
Car never shifts into 1st. Unless I make it.
Highway S without having to shift, just S not dynamic/flags, and i was wrong, she flew from 65 to xxx mph in a couple blinks, (if I were blinking, my eyes were WIDE open. Sweet. Smoothe. Less 6 cylinder feeling as in, wait for it, wait for it, BOOM.... just fast right away. Fun.
D on highway with flags and you do get that slight delay but then take off. More head jerking quick than the smooth fast auto S mode.

Now all I do every time i take her out is wonder what mode today.... kinda like a wife, what moood will she be in.

The following users liked this post:
MarkyUK (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GhostRider9000
Car never shifts into 1st. Unless I make it.
It will if you don't use the paddles and just leave it in auto mode. There is no easy way of telling that though unless you count the gear changes or monitor it using SDD. I did the latter so I know it does use 1st gear when stationary and in non flappy paddle mode.

The following 3 users liked this post by u102768:
Cee Jay (06-07-2020), GhostRider9000 (06-08-2020), ralphwg (06-08-2020)