XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Sudden acceleration !!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 07:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Sudden acceleration !!

i have been experiencing sudden acceleration in my XKR 2007. when ever i bush the paddle down hard and release, the acceleration keeps going on and dose not release.

at first i experienced it stationary and after that it happened on the high way and there it got scary

has anyone experienced any thing like it????

Last edited by GGG; 01-27-2019 at 04:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CClifton (10-29-2019)
Old 01-27-2012, 09:24 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

...No, I should say not. And if that is happening to you, I'd suggest finding a way to make it repeatable so you can get it fixed. Don't forget, sudden acceleration can be countered by using Neutral as well as the brakes.

LOAI (01-27-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 02:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LOAI
i have been experiencing sudden acceleration in my XKR 2007. when ever i bush the paddle down hard and release, the acceleration keeps going on and dose not release.

at first i experienced it stationary and after that it happened on the high way and there it got scary

has anyone experienced any thing like it????
I think this is the accelerator pedal you are experiencing.

It happens to me every time i get in the car. I concluded that it doesn't need looked at and perhaps I need moar.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ha66is:
LOAI (01-27-2012), winstonsalemncxk (10-16-2017)
Old 01-27-2012, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rahtok
...No, I should say not. And if that is happening to you, I'd suggest finding a way to make it repeatable so you can get it fixed. Don't forget, sudden acceleration can be countered by using Neutral as well as the brakes.

thanx, i did put it in natural but the thing is even though the RPM dose not go down until i shut the car off

CClifton (10-29-2019)
Old 01-27-2012, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ha66is
I think this is the accelerator pedal you are experiencing.

It happens to me every time i get in the car. I concluded that it doesn't need looked at and perhaps I need moar.
thanx for the reply, but i didn't understand the last bit about ur conclusion

Old 01-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you've just experienced Ha66is's sense of humour.
Don't worry, he's fairly tame really

Could you be experiencing a sticking 'kick down' switch?
Either that or a fault with the accelerator pedal position sensor.

Last edited by GrahamS; 01-28-2012 at 01:05 PM.
LOAI (02-03-2012)
Old 01-28-2012, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

I think I'm in the same boat as Ha66is - I experience sudden exhilaration every time I stomp on the gasp pedal! Whooppee!

As for LOAI's comment that he doesn't understand, I note that he's Saudi so he doesn't get the wordplay and subtle humor since English probably isn't his first language. Ha66is means that he needs more sudden exhilaration. Sudden exhilaration results from acceleration. Get it, LOAI?

American English was invented to confound and confuse everyone else - where else but in the USA do you drive your car on the parkway and park your car in the driveway?

I'm sure all the other variations of English (Brits, Aussies, Canadians, etc.) have their own special idioms, too. As do all other languages.

Last edited by Stuart S; 01-28-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GrahamS
I think you've just experienced Ha66is's sense of humour.
Don't worry, he's fairly tame really
It has to be said that LOAI's English is almost certainly better than my Arabic. Hold on, in actual fact, as a Scottish Australian LOAI's English may well be better than my English.

I couldn't resist it; my car is a scary thing especially with the overly nanny'd speed limits in place here (oh, my 'good behaviour licence' adds extra zest until April). Try driving an XK-R and keeping within 50-60KM/H (40 during morning and afternoon school drop off/pickup times). I'm sure if i let the thing go it would practically idle beyond those speeds.

As for a fault, sorry, can't add anything my car has 1,100kms on it, my only gripe is the rotary gear...............I'll get me coat.

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I experience sudden exhilaration every time I stomp on the gasp pedal! Whooppee!
Very, VERY well put a great wordplay .

I'm sure all the other variations of English (Brits, Aussies, Canadians, etc.) have their own special idioms, too. As do all other languages.
Spoiled by this however. Hold-up Mr S, since when did 'Brits' speak a variation of English? British English is English; American English is the variation . I do acknowledge however that they do speak a 'variation' in Newcastle.

Last edited by Ha66is; 01-28-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Stuart S (01-28-2012)
Old 01-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member

Very, VERY well put a great wordplay .

Wordplay is only exceeded by foreplay!

Old 02-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Unintended sudden acceleration!

It's not SciFi; it's not driver error mistaking gas for brake pedal folks: It is REAL, and for those of us who have experienced it, we hope you never do!
The dealers, car experts("drips under pressure"), and National auto assns, all blame driver error. I had a 2008 xk and experienced four different events. Luckily, no harm occurred except for months trying to convince the Mother company that it was real. The last time, sitting in my driveway,engine running, in gear, foot on brake: the car tried to accelerate thru the garage. Standing on the brake pedal with both feet, shifting into Neutral, did not stop the rear wheels from spinning. I BURNT RUBBER sitting stationary in my driveway. Pics of both tread marks inpressed into the burnt rubber failed to convince Jaguar. If you can beat them, join them! I promptly traded the 2008 for a new 2010 and my problems went away!!

LOAI (02-03-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Default Pedals Too Close? Unintended Acceleration

The gas and brake pedals on my XKR are very close to each other, and it is possible to accidentally depress both simultaneously. I inadvertently did this once about a year ago and it was scary! The harder I pressed on the brake, the faster the car accelerated (until I realized what I did). Fortunately, no harm done.

If you depress the brake pedal hard with the left half of your right foot on the right corner of the brake pedal, the right half of your shoe will contact the gas pedal and cause unintended acceleration. A real problem if your shoe size is 11EEE!

Always center your right foot on the brake pedal so you don't inadvertently press the gas pedal.

This close-pedal design might go back to the days when Jags had manual trannys and racers used the heel-toe technique while downshifting. The pedals on my other cars (LS460, RX350) are much farther apart.

Anyone else make the same mistake

Old 02-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Until you have BEEN THERE; when Both Feet are on the Brake trying to stop the sucker, You do not have one foot on the accelerator!!(unless you are a martian and have Three feet!) Try and stop 300horses with the brake pedal and you will wish you had three feet!!

Old 02-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

I just want to make one comment, then I'll stand down......

I can't speak to the new 550HP XKR-S yet, because I haven't tried it; but I do know that prior to it, Jaguar has not built a car yet that can over-run it's own brakes. If a Jag has normally functioning brakes, it can be stopped no matter what the engine does.

Cheers,

Rahtok (02-08-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 09:38 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrguy
I just want to make one comment, then I'll stand down......

I can't speak to the new 550HP XKR-S yet, because I haven't tried it; but I do know that prior to it, Jaguar has not built a car yet that can over-run it's own brakes. If a Jag has normally functioning brakes, it can be stopped no matter what the engine does.

Cheers,
agreed...Dont know of any car currently produced that the engine can over-run properly functioning breaks...it's safety feature.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since when did 'Brits' speak a variation of English? British English is English; American English is the variation . I do acknowledge however that they do speak a 'variation' in Newcastle.

If the British speak the standard English, why do they have a funny accent? ;-)

And I think it's pretty clear that the people who started this thread are trolls, as in "if you buy a Jaguar it will probably develop a mind of its own and destroy your house and all your loved ones at the first opportunity."

Really? Put me down for several then.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:08 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002XK8Orlando
agreed...Dont know of any car currently produced that the engine can over-run properly functioning breaks...it's safety feature.
Jag yes. Toyota Camry not so much.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:31 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyd
Jag yes. Toyota Camry not so much.
Ummm, that's a joke, right???

Hit the Brakes
Certainly the most natural reaction to a stuck-throttle emergency is to stomp on the brake pedal, possibly with both feet. And despite dramatic horsepower increases since C/D’s 1987 unintended-acceleration test of an Audi 5000, brakes by and large can still overpower and rein in an engine roaring under full throttle. With the Camry’s throttle pinned while going 70 mph, the brakes easily overcame all 268 horsepower straining against them and stopped the car in 190 feet—that’s a foot shorter than the performance of a Ford Taurus without any gas-pedal problems and just 16 feet longer than with the Camry’s throttle closed. From 100 mph, the stopping-distance differential was 88 feet—noticeable to be sure, but the car still slowed enthusiastically enough to impart a feeling of confidence. We also tried one go-for-broke run at 120 mph, and, even then, the car quickly decelerated to about 10 mph before the brakes got excessively hot and the car refused to decelerate any further. So even in the most extreme case, it should be possible to get a car’s speed down to a point where a resulting accident should be a low-speed and relatively minor event.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts
Default The BigFoot of the auto world

Unintended acceleration is the BigFoot of the auto world. Many swear they have seen it, but scientific proof is elusive.

One of the reasons why we have to step on the brake before pushing the start button is because of the legacy of the Audi sudden acceleration cases of the early 1980's. The negative publicity effectively killed Audi sales in the USA.

The issue was made famous again with Toyota. In both cases investigators could not identify any problem that would make the car accelerate on its own. They most often cite driver error. They do say that a gas pedal, once pressed, might not come back - because of a floor mat or because it just got stuck, but that is different than a car taking off on its own.

To read up on those famous cases:

Audi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Toyota sudden acceleration report finds no electronic flaws - Feb. 8, 2011

texasxkr (10-16-2017)
Old 02-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Havebook
...One of the reasons why we have to step on the brake before pushing the start button ...
Not so! You don't have to step on the brake BEFORE pushing the start button. In fact, doing so can make it more difficult to start. You're better off pushing the start button FIRST, and then step on the brake. Stepping on the brake first can pump up the pedal, thereby increasing the distance to make contact with the start interlock switch.

See this post: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...se-time-57460/

Some other makes/models (i.e., Lexus LS460) won't start unless you step on the brake first. Not so with Jaguar, at least with my 2009 XKR Portfolio. It will start either way.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts

You're better off pushing the start button FIRST, and then step on the brake.

Hi Stuart,

Two points: First, the point I was trying to make is that the requirement that you must have your foot on the brake in order to start many cars is a response, by auto makers, to driver-error sudden acceleration, as happened with the Audi's of the 1980's. (Some consider this the intrusive nanny-state response. If the car is in Park anyway why should I have to hit the brake.)

Second, you make a great point that pressing the button first can be the more reliable starting sequence on the Jaguar. I will definitely try it. Thank you!

Tony

Quick Reply: Sudden acceleration !!