Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sudden acceleration !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 11:13 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by Havebook
Hi Stuart,

Two points: First, the point I was trying to make is that the requirement that you must have your foot on the brake in order to start many cars is a response, by auto makers, to driver-error sudden acceleration, as happened with the Audi's of the 1980's. (Some consider this the intrusive nanny-state response. If the car is in Park anyway why should I have to hit the brake.)

Second, you make a great point that pressing the button first can be the more reliable starting sequence on the Jaguar. I will definitely try it. Thank you!

Tony
Actually, the true reason for the foot on the brake to start is for separation of the numerous 'power modes' the electronics use. For instance 'crank' is power mode 9, 'ignition on' is power mode 6. The only way to separate 'crank' from 'ignition on' with one button, is to require the foot on the brake so it knows the driver wants to start the engine, not just turn on the ignition.

The assumed safety aspect is just a bonus.

Cheers,

The following users liked this post:
rscultho (04-10-2014)
Old 02-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Havebook
Unintended acceleration is the BigFoot of the auto world. Many swear they have seen it, but scientific proof is elusive.

One of the reasons why we have to step on the brake before pushing the start button is because of the legacy of the Audi sudden acceleration cases of the early 1980's. The negative publicity effectively killed Audi sales in the USA.

The issue was made famous again with Toyota. In both cases investigators could not identify any problem that would make the car accelerate on its own. They most often cite driver error. They do say that a gas pedal, once pressed, might not come back - because of a floor mat or because it just got stuck, but that is different than a car taking off on its own.

To read up on those famous cases:

Audi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Toyota sudden acceleration report finds no electronic flaws - Feb. 8, 2011
It's not over yet....

Let the real experts weigh in....

Toyota's Sudden Acceleration Problem May Have Been Triggered By Tin Whiskers

Old 02-11-2012, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by tommyd
It's not over yet....

That tin whisker thing is a fact for sure, it does happen. But that idea took on a near Y2K [year 2000 computer scare] quality several years ago. Planes were gonna crash, the Shuttle was gonna crash, bank computers were gonna crash, cars were gonna go crazy. Turns out the vulnerability is pretty restricted to extremely low power [current], highly sensitive circuits. I remember reading about the Toyota determination last summer, NASA tech guys discounted the tin whisker thing as contributing, I'm pretty sure.

My 2nd thought........the Huffington Post would like nothing more than to destroy the fossil fuel auto industry. Chevy Volt, anyone?? My two cents.....

Cheers,

Last edited by xjrguy; 02-11-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyd
It's not over yet....

The Huffington Post is hardly a model of balanced journalism.

Furthermore, this interesting quote from the article in question:

The Albuquerque driver was still able to brake, they argue, and when she lifted her foot off the gas, the engine stopped revving.
So, if you lift your foot off the gas it stops accelerating ... how surprising. And if you press the accelerator even harder, it accelerates harder ... even more stunning news.

Her original complaint was that it took more gas to get the car going because it hesitated when accelerating from a standstill. That points to an engine problem, perhaps something like a vacuum leak. Then, you have someone who is deficient in driving skills compensating by pressing harder on the gas pedal and not knowing to lift off.

That is a lack of driving skill, not unintended sudden acceleration. The car wasn't out of control, she was.

Nominated for a Darwin Award.

Last edited by plums; 02-12-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sudden Acceleration needs to be addressed

I have owned an XJ with no problems, wonderful to drive and to me, one of the best looking sedans on the road. I was looking at getting another, but after doing some research, I won't. I think based on what I have read, that sudden acceleration is real and the Jaguar people need to quite sweeping this under the rug and do something about it, figure it out, and save these otherwise great cars. I have read posts on this forum about "fat foot". I agree that it can and does happen, but I encourage you to read the link provided and then tell me that all these incidents and stories (48 in all) are the result of "fat foot".

Jaguar XJ-Series: Sudden Acceleration - Car Forums - Edmunds

CClifton (10-29-2019)
Old 06-09-2012, 12:22 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

My wife's XK has just been fixed for high reving with not feet on the accelelotor, it was a software issue and needed reprogramming. It has been fine ever since. Apparently the car did not know where the throttle position was so dicided by itself.

CClifton (10-29-2019)
Old 06-09-2012, 05:32 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I had that happen a number of years ago in an American car. The thottle linkage would go wide open as soon as you start to press the thottle pedal. What is was. was a brocken motor mount. The linkage was on the side of the broken mount and the torque from the engine caused the motor to rise higher than would normally happen. This result in the linkage being pulled to the full extent. It was a wild ride until I figured it out.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar 2007 XKR Convertible

My car self accelerates and almost killed me today!!! Bought it used from British Motors....... Called them today and they said you pay to diagnose it and tow it. Hmmmmmm? Anyone in the same boat?

Old 04-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Doing the right thing

Originally Posted by NancyL
My car self accelerates and almost killed me today!!! Bought it used from British Motors....... Called them today and they said you pay to diagnose it and tow it. Hmmmmmm? Anyone in the same boat?
If you just bought it, the dealer should show some consideration by towing it and then diagnosing the problem..

The internet is a big space and bad press for a dealer will only cost the dealer money in the long run

I learned a long time ago that: You can get more with a kind word and a "gun" than with a kind word. The dealer would be wise to realize that

Old 04-10-2014, 02:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Originally Posted by NancyL
Please add detail like how much, when, ...?

Commonish cause on many cars is mat or the like affecting the pedal.

Another is an air leak, which revs the engine a little. Check fuel trims.

The jags were designed in a way that avoids the faults like Toyotas etc.

Last edited by JagV8; 04-10-2014 at 02:51 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:19 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Also -- it's important to note that Toyota was indemnified for those 'sudden acceleration' cases. There were no actual documented cases of malfunction, but Toyota did alter their ECUs to automatically cut throttle if the brake was on -- something that other MFGs like Nissan have been doing for years (my 03 350Z auto cuts throttle if you stomp the brake).

The XKRs are all throttle by wire (the 5.0L are, and I believe the 4.2L are too) so, it's unlikely that a physical linkage due to something like a broken motor mount would be suspect. Not to say that the engine didn't surge, but there are a fair amount of safety nets to prevent that.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Who knew there were so many cases with Jaguars. Given how very few Jags there are compared to, say, Toyotas, this is pretty alarming!

Old 04-10-2014, 03:41 PM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

...Toyota did alter their ECUs to automatically cut throttle if the brake was on -- something that other MFGs like Nissan have been doing for years (my 03 350Z auto cuts throttle if you stomp the brake).
So how does one heel/toe blip the throttle in those cars? Or is this only a feature in automatic trans vehicles?

Rich

Old 04-10-2014, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Who knew there were so many cases with Jaguars. Given how very few Jags there are compared to, say, Toyotas, this is pretty alarming!
Well, it might be if there were any credible ones. Are there? If so, which ones on which models & years? Are any of them the newer drive-by-wire ones? I think not but surprise me

Old 04-11-2014, 07:38 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

You can heel/toe just fine, but you can't hot brake -- which really isn't something you do at HPDEs or the track, but you DO do in AutoX. <shrugs> There were a number of complaints about it on the Z Forums when it was initially discovered way back when, as it was an unusual feature at the time, I think, but hot braking was really only done to keep the motor at a boil and as the Z had adequate torque anyway, it was kind of a moot point.

Originally Posted by Rw99
So how does one heel/toe blip the throttle in those cars? Or is this only a feature in automatic trans vehicles?

Rich

Old 04-11-2014, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

One thing to think about is that it may make a big difference in RWD versus FWD vehicles for these "sudden acceleration cases". If you have a high-power RWD car, such as a Jag, it could be much more dangerous. The rear brakes on any car are much less powerful than the front brakes. I could easily see a 400 horsepower Jag engine being able to easily overcome the rear brakes. Even if the engine did not overcome the front brakes, it could definitely create a "burnout" situation and would make the car incredibly hard to control under braking.

Compare that to a Toyota Camry, which is front wheel drive. If you stomp on the brakes, you are fully negating the engine's force since it is front wheel drive and the front brakes are robust. It would not create any balance or controllability issues...

Old 04-11-2014, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

One thing I've always wondered in these situations: why not just switch it off? With no spark, the car might 'diesel' along a bit (compression ignition) if you're at speed, but surely it's going to grind to a halt. Obviously, not quite so straightforward if it's actually a diesel, but unless the fuel pump is mechanical, it's going to starve. From the 5.0 manual:

If the start/stop button is pressed when driving, the message ENGINE STOP BUTTON PRESSED is displayed in the message center but there will be no change to the ignition state. If the driver requires to switch off the engine, the start/stop button must be pressed for a second time. The engine will be stopped and will be back driven by the transmission as the vehicle coasts down. When the engine speed is less than 600 rev/min the transmission engages neutral (flashing D illumination in the instrument cluster). When vehicle speed is less than 2 km/h (1.2 mph) Park is engaged. The JaguarDrive selector automatically rotates back to its lowered P position and the vehicle ignition is switched off.
Am I missing something?

Old 04-12-2014, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
One thing to think about is that it may make a big difference in RWD versus FWD vehicles for these "sudden acceleration cases". If you have a high-power RWD car, such as a Jag, it could be much more dangerous. The rear brakes on any car are much less powerful than the front brakes. I could easily see a 400 horsepower Jag engine being able to easily overcome the rear brakes. Even if the engine did not overcome the front brakes, it could definitely create a "burnout" situation and would make the car incredibly hard to control under braking.

Compare that to a Toyota Camry, which is front wheel drive. If you stomp on the brakes, you are fully negating the engine's force since it is front wheel drive and the front brakes are robust. It would not create any balance or controllability issues...
The only flaw in that, Alan, is that on the rear drive Jag you mentioned, the front wheels are still on the ground in front of those rear wheels, with their brakes still fully locked. Even IF the engine over-drives the rear brakes, they are still a formidable force in keeping the car stopped.
I will tell you this, from personal experience I know that no Jaguar since the Series III will over-drive its brakes. I have tried that with every model since then personally, and not a one will move with the throttle floored, SO LONG AS THE BRAKES [INCLUDING POWER ASSIST SYSTEM] ARE IN PROPER WORKING ORDER. I spent ten years with GM [Oldsmobile] before that, and not a one of them would either.

Originally Posted by Ngarara
One thing I've always wondered in these situations: why not just switch it off? With no spark, the car might 'diesel' along a bit (compression ignition) if you're at speed, but surely it's going to grind to a halt. Obviously, not quite so straightforward if it's actually a diesel, but unless the fuel pump is mechanical, it's going to starve. From the 5.0 manual:

Am I missing something?
I don't think you are missing anything, I think it's just a case where you have to consider how the mind works. When something like this happens, and it has happened to me, instinct takes over, not clear thought. My work boots straddled the pedals in an XJS and pressed both at the same time. Car took off unexpectedly, I swore it was the car that accelerated. Instinct made me slam my left foot on the brake to stop the car. Someone asked me why I didn't just shut the key off. In the moment, that isn't what came to mind, stomping the brake did.

When panic sets in, it's hard to say what the mind is gonna tell you to do.

Cheers,

Old 04-12-2014, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Oh, I agree, if it's a brief sudden thing, your brain doesn't really comprehend what's occurring. I've done the reverse - stomped on the brake thinking it was the clutch.

It's more these situations where people are already in motion and then can't slow down. I just can't believe that there was nothing they could do. Turn it off, put it in neutral; if all else fails, scrub speed off along the armco.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Twice my 2007 S-type, 4.2 non turbo, went into full throttle while I was almost stopped. Once while backing out of a parking space, the second time at a stop light. I immediately turned off the car and restarted it. It ran fine then. Any clue why this happened. I would like to add, the second time when I stopped the car at my destination, I put my gauge on the car. No error codes.

Last edited by klitfin; 05-16-2014 at 04:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Sudden acceleration !!