XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Taking delivery of the Fast Tesla on December 1

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 01:48 AM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Taking delivery of the Fast Tesla on December 1

Coincidentally they finish the build and called to tell me it'd be ready to pick up on... My birthday! How cool is that?

Anyway, I couldn't resist ordering when they announced the dual motor model S and took the plunge. I bought a fully loaded (literally every option) P85D, the ~700hp/700ft.lb. awd model they announced back in October. In silver over black interior, 21 inch aluminum colored rims covered in low profile with PS2's. Despite the oversize wheels (I'm a 19" guy, not into the huge rim thing) they drive incredibly smoothly, not sure how...

I couldn't resist buying a luxury five-seater with TONS of storage that will go 0-60 in near silence @ 3.2 seconds while throwing a full G in the corners (or better). Very nearly a full G in acceleration as well, all those power #'s are from zero rpm...

But now, the question is what to do with the Jaguar. I've been enjoying the HE'LL out of the XKR lately, reveling in the exhaust note, the snap of the gearshift, and the overall feel of the car. I sense that going from that kind of a tactile, visceral experience to a hyper accelerating, grippy-handling UFO is going to be tough: the Tesla crushes the Jag to 60 by OVER A FULL SECOND (I've managed one near 4 second run in the Jag, more often 4.3-4.5 seconds or so). The tesla requires no technique more sophisticated than mashing the throttle, 3.2 every time, no launch control needed (not sure how that works).

I guess I'm going to have to decide whether to keep a fossil burning, exciting exhaust note, gearshifting car despite the inferior performance. That or buy something bonkers like a 911 Turbo S, or a Nissan GTR. But seriously, having one car that slingshots to 60 in 3.2 seconds seems like it might be enough ;-)

Maybe the second car turns into something more esoteric? Maintain timeless class and make a premature surrender to the electrics in performance (hey, don't flame, just opening about where things are headed here), and pick up a first generation E-type convertible or an old Porsche or the like, a car that offers intangibles and won't ever be matched or replicated.

Scrambling for ideas and plans, maybe wait till the double-invoice bs wears off and pick up a bmw i8 as a sexy second car? So far, every dealer who has one in the area is telling me that they expect $300,000 for a car that stickers for hundred and 50. No thanks, that's a sucker's game. No offense intended if you are lucky enough to have one...

Thoughts? I guess no rush (maybe insurance savings?) on a decision regarding the Jag, but it'd be good to have a plan/direction.

Advice?

Skeeter

Last edited by Skeeter; 11-23-2014 at 01:55 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,139 Likes on 3,383 Posts

They're apples and oranges, totally different but equally desirable in their own ways. Unless you need the cash, i'd keep both.

Last edited by Stuart S; 11-23-2014 at 11:39 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-23-2014, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Good to hear someone keeping the economy going. I hope you have fun with it so enjoy.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:29 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

Life is full of choices. Everyone's personal situation, financial ability, and desires are different. No one can answer your question for you. You need to assess your needs, means and desires which should make the decision easier by narrowing down your options. Once you have narrowed the list down by satisfying your more basic requirements (needs, financial) you can look at which options are most desirable to you based on personal actualisation. Essentially your applying Maslow's hierarchy of needs. If I read you correctly your decision will be based more on self-actualisation than your basic needs. This is where your most personal needs are dealt with. Are you concerned about a carbon foot print,extravagant living, giving to the less fortunate and sick etc. You need to make a decision you can life with personally. Is the roar of the Jaguar more important than the star ship stealth Tesla? Maybe a XKR, F-type, Tesla S AWD, Nissan GT-R and a 458 Ferrari will fit comfortably into your stable and personal life.

As all members of this forum, you love your ride(s). Buy what makes you happy. Don't forget to post some pictures. We all love cars here, especially the one's that roar.

Last edited by DGL; 11-23-2014 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
Life is full of choices. Everyone's personal situation, financial ability, and desires are different. No one can answer your question for you. You need to assess your needs, means and desires which should make the decision easier by narrowing down your options. Once you have narrowed the list down by satisfying your more basic requirements (needs, financial) you can look at which options are most desirable to you based on personal actualisation. Essentially your applying Maslow's hierarchy of needs. If I read you correctly your decision will be based more on self-actualisation than your basic needs. This is where your most personal needs are dealt with. Are you concerned about a carbon foot print,extravagant living, giving to the less fortunate and sick etc. You need to make a decision you can life with personally. Is the roar of the Jaguar more important than the star ship stealth Tesla? Maybe a XKR, F-type, Tesla S AWD, Nissan GT-R and a 458 Ferrari will fit comfortably into your stable and personal life.

As all members of this forum, you love your ride(s). Buy what makes you happy. Don't forget to post some pictures. We all love cars here, especially the one's that roar.

So well stated.......excellent text DGL.

The following users liked this post:
DGL (11-23-2014)
Old 11-23-2014, 10:27 AM
Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

For you, I would suggest selling the XKR and getting the new Corvette Z06. You seem to be more technically oriented and these will have great performance numbers.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

What is your range? That's an expensive commuter car...

Originally Posted by Skeeter
Coincidentally they finish the build and called to tell me it'd be ready to pick up on... My birthday! How cool is that?

Anyway, I couldn't resist ordering when they announced the dual motor model S and took the plunge. I bought a fully loaded (literally every option) P85D, the ~700hp/700ft.lb. awd model they announced back in October. In silver over black interior, 21 inch aluminum colored rims covered in low profile with PS2's. Despite the oversize wheels (I'm a 19" guy, not into the huge rim thing) they drive incredibly smoothly, not sure how...

I couldn't resist buying a luxury five-seater with TONS of storage that will go 0-60 in near silence @ 3.2 seconds while throwing a full G in the corners (or better). Very nearly a full G in acceleration as well, all those power #'s are from zero rpm...

But now, the question is what to do with the Jaguar. I've been enjoying the HE'LL out of the XKR lately, reveling in the exhaust note, the snap of the gearshift, and the overall feel of the car. I sense that going from that kind of a tactile, visceral experience to a hyper accelerating, grippy-handling UFO is going to be tough: the Tesla crushes the Jag to 60 by OVER A FULL SECOND (I've managed one near 4 second run in the Jag, more often 4.3-4.5 seconds or so). The tesla requires no technique more sophisticated than mashing the throttle, 3.2 every time, no launch control needed (not sure how that works).

I guess I'm going to have to decide whether to keep a fossil burning, exciting exhaust note, gearshifting car despite the inferior performance. That or buy something bonkers like a 911 Turbo S, or a Nissan GTR. But seriously, having one car that slingshots to 60 in 3.2 seconds seems like it might be enough ;-)

Maybe the second car turns into something more esoteric? Maintain timeless class and make a premature surrender to the electrics in performance (hey, don't flame, just opening about where things are headed here), and pick up a first generation E-type convertible or an old Porsche or the like, a car that offers intangibles and won't ever be matched or replicated.

Scrambling for ideas and plans, maybe wait till the double-invoice bs wears off and pick up a bmw i8 as a sexy second car? So far, every dealer who has one in the area is telling me that they expect $300,000 for a car that stickers for hundred and 50. No thanks, that's a sucker's game. No offense intended if you are lucky enough to have one...

Thoughts? I guess no rush (maybe insurance savings?) on a decision regarding the Jag, but it'd be good to have a plan/direction.

Advice?

Skeeter

Old 11-24-2014, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Tough to be you; cry me a river ;-)

How about something with epic handling like an Evora S or something that exudes sex and craftsmanship like an Aston? Don't let the HP numbers fool you on the Evora. The level of control, handling potential, and even power distribution make this car much faster than it appears on paper. You if like to row your own, this is one heck of a car. Take one for a test drive and report back!

I am spending time in Singapore right now and it's just one super car after the next. It was actually here that put the Evora bug in my ear.

Here's what I saw today on the walk home:

Name:  IMG_0227_zps87529bee.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  148.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0226_zpsc71f18c2.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  146.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0225_zpsb0994719.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  87.5 KB

Skeeter (11-29-2014)
Old 11-26-2014, 07:54 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

The Evora is a strong contender! A friend of mine has a beautiful (2011?) one in white, and while we haven't done any serious canyon carving together, the thing handles incredibly and is ultra light. Surprisingly well built and finished, though obviously the light weight and mid engine design means less luxury and comfort than our XK's (R and others). But no question a VERY desirable car, and a good counterpoint to the Tesla.

Which, btw, has had the pickup date pushed a week (max), they said they want to test the first batch of the P85D as thoroughly as possible, and apparently I'm in the first batch (can't find anyone on the Tesla site with an earlier delivery/pickup date). Bummer to not have it line up with the birthday, but first world problems all ;-)

I took another long pleasure drive in the XKR again today and can't imagine loving anything as much. Regardless of cost, Teslas are SO FREAKING COMMON here in the S.F. Bay Area that they might as well be Sonatas. I am NOT down with the Tesla culture, and mercilessly mock Tesla owners as a type, and am not in it for the ecological benefits (real or imagined). I swear a week or two ago I pulled up to a four-way stop and it was me and THREE Tesla S's stopping @ the same time. Awful. And from the outside, other than the P85D badge on the rear bumper, there's nothing to tell mine from the seeming endless parade that populate our streets and freeways.

I will admit to being impressed by my friend's car when I drove it six or seven months back, though, and it was the first generation Model S, RWD model, not even the performance edition. Silent and instant torque has its appeal, it turns out.

But make no mistake, my fellow feline loving automotive friends, I love everything about performance ICE cars.

Damn, the first R-rated movie I saw without adult supervision was The Road Warrior (I was in 9th grade, I think the movie had been out a while), and let's just say it make a bit imprint on my car and motorcycle dreams. Poverty and restrictive parents kept me from anything worthy of the reference, the former longer than the latter.

Thankfully modern cars can put down Road Warrior HP numbers (600HP, if memory serves), without the severe build that Max Rokatanski had to deal with, in luxury with a/c'd seats, dynamic suspensions, active exhaust, incredibly sexy lines (though Max's car is still tops appearance wise, don't push me here!) and with 100k mile warranties.

Now, my father looks at my Jag and says many of the same things that I said about electric cars: your Jag does everything too well, to quietly, traction control drives the car for you if you aren't skilled, you don't have to synchronize your carburetors or swap out point and plugs every few thousand miles, it shifts itself (and even the sticks are synchronized - though he taught me to drive an un-synchronized stick), the steering is POWER ASSISTED, etc, etc. Not a 'real' performance car in his eyes and for his generation. The Jags, MG's, Vette's of his day were different machines and all analog after all, and I'm sure the adjustment to more trouble-free and less visceral cars (though faster) is tough.

So when the specs of the new Tesla came out (and I had the liquidity event of a lifetime, $ isn't the factor it used to be), I figured I'd give it a try.

Yes, pleasure and fun are primary goals, the ability to seat five and drive solo in the carpool lanes are pluses as is the ability to refuel @ home.

But frankly, despite the rocket-sled acceleration I'm still VERY uncertain that I'll enjoy the car. And no matter what, I'll still feel more special driving the now outdated XKR, I'll remain more worried about the XKR getting messed with if I park in the wrong part of town, than I will despite the P85D dropping nearly twice on the Tesla what I paid for my (very slightly) used 2011 Select Edition XKR, and I still think the XKR looks better than the F-Type. Though GODS the exhaust crackle of the F-Type S Coupe that I test drove blew my mind. It's a contender as a 'new' second car should I for some reason decide to move on from the XKR, just an absolute blast to drive, I was laughing out loud as the salesman kept trying to contain his urge to tell me to take it easy and slow down, LOL... Intoxicating!

So let's see how this plays out. Either I just bought a silent missile super sedan that I'm going to learn to appreciate and love beyond expectations, or I'm going to be profoundly disappointed and feel like the car, while impressive on paper and on the road, doesn't push those deeply implanted teenage Road Warrior tastes and I won't be able to adapt to what the Tesla brings.

I really don't drive enough to establish a bigger fleet than two cars and a two-wheeler to two, which is where I am now. The Tesla will make it three cars, so my current blah daily driver lease will go first and the Tesla will become my dd.

Like I said, I think I'll be cool & not stress that first scratch or curb rash on the 21" rims that come on the P85D (not a fan of such large rims). And I WILL continue to look over my shoulder at the Jag when I park it to make double sure that it's locked, and do a walk-around when I get back to it to make sure nobody keyed it or inflicted a door ding.

Just thinking out loud here, I'm not always clear on my own thought process, so explaining it isn't easy ;-)

Appreciate the comments, thoughts, and suggestions, supportive or otherwise. And I guarantee I will post pics and videos, albeit a week later than anticipated.

Skeeter

Last edited by Skeeter; 11-26-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member

Do you have to park the Tesla "outside" with all the rats?

I am sure the rats would have a field day with all that wiring.

Skeeter (11-28-2014)
Old 11-27-2014, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

A friend who has a late models Porsche 911 bought a Tesla S late last year with all the bells and whistles, the Porsche doesn't get out of the garage much anymore. He has a grueling commute through traffic every morning and evening and he says the Tesla has made the commute almost enjoyable. This weekend while I still had the "borrowed" F-type V-8S from Jaguar USA, I had him drive it for a bit, and he was blown away.

As for the Tesla vs. the XKR, while it's absolutely true that it can out accelerate the XKR in a straight line, don't have any illusions about it being a great handling car on a track or twisty canyon road. I had my XKR on the track for the first time this past weekend and it's remarkable how well it adapts for a big, heavy, car. The Tesla outweighs the XKR by some 6-700lbs., it will be a wonderful cruiser, but at nearly 4700 lbs., it's not going to be a nimble dancer.

Keep both and enjoy two different but both excellent driving experiences.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:12 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

I bet the Jag would kick the Tesla's derriere in a 266 mile race.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:21 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Have you ever looked under the hood of ANY other car with regard to wiring? Then have you looked under the hood of a Tesla... if so you realize how ridiculous that insinuation was. A Tesla has FAR less wiring than any ICE

Old 11-27-2014, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

The styling of the Tesla S vs the XKR is quite different indeed IMO. The Tesla reminds me of the Jaguar XF or XJ. It looks like a family car, since it is a 4 door sedan. For the money, a good quality (under warranty) low mileage late MY (2013-2014) XF or XJ with the 5.0 SC engine would be my choice. Savings would be great and would fillfull most desires of any driver, and provide a luxury ride.

The Tesla is a fad currently. As for energy savings. nothing great in that respect due to ultra low gas prices ($2.36 per gallon in southern NM).

I strongly feel that the high dollar, high performance Tesla S attractiveness will wear out fast. Long drives are severely limited outside the State of California. Depreciation may be even steeper than a Jaguar. The car will get weathered if you are forced to park it outside.

While owning a Tesla S P85 is cool, it will be quite interesting to have an evaluation 12 months into the ownership. I just can't see spending over $100,000+ for this car. Yes, there might be a tax credit for $7500, but everyones tax situation is different, and the $7500, may not present real savings like many might suspect. You might get a $7500 credit, but how much does it really save on taxes once the return is completed. Certainly not $7500. Living in a large city such as San Fran, the high performance driving will be limited unless you have the free time to get it out on the roads. You still have to comply with local speed limits in which inter city driving will be quite restricted. This not a car for putting on a race track.

Just my opinion. I don't want to offend the new owner in any way and this post is not an intent to do so.

Many people like different cars. I look forward to first impressions, which I suspect will be positive (due to the excitement of new ownership), 6 months down the road, and 12 months after ownership.

Keep us posted. Happy motoring.

Last edited by richzak; 11-27-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:32 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

>> As for energy savings. nothing great in that respect

By energy I am assuming you actually mean money, as with the sun belting out about 4.x 10^15 Joules (the power of 90 billion H-bombs) every second, we are not exactly short of energy itself.

If you do the figures its actually pretty awful in saving money. especially compared to a small gasoline car like a Toyota Yaris, gets 35-40mpg, and that's even before you factor in the (massive) difference in purchase price (Yaris $15k, fast Model S $100k?). $85k buys a LOT more gas than you'd use in the car's lifetime.

I'm amazed that most Americans apparently still buy electric cars believing that the main benefit/purpose is to save money. It really isn't and doesn't, especially given the current US gas prices. Other than the few exotic performance cases, the only quantifiable benefit to an electric over gasoline car is a saving of the environment. When you buy an electric car you need to accept that the designers intentionally chose lessening your environmental impact as the priority, even at an increased $ cost of ownership, possibly increased $ cost per mile, the inconvenience of relatively limited range, the associated range anxiety, and the long recharge time compared to just refuelling.

Last edited by JustNiz; 11-27-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I don't know many people who are buying Teslas to save money. They are buying them because they are a hot tech gadget, and because they can claim to be green while doing it. It's not for me, but I can understand the appeal.

Are you seriously comparing the cost of a Tesla to a Corolla? At least compare it to a similar gasser with similar performance levels.

Old 11-27-2014, 02:03 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Let's just touch upon this a bit and add some reality:

The styling of the Tesla S vs the XKR is quite different indeed IMO Obviously, one is a four door electric and the other a highly powered GT two seater. The Tesla reminds me of the Jaguar XF or XJ. It looks like a family car, since it is a 4 door sedan. For the money, a good quality (under warranty) low mileage late MY (2013-2014) XF or XJ with the 5.0 SC engine would be my choice You state you'd chose a SC engine yet you question his choice of buying a performance car below . Savings would be great How are the savings great when the depreciation of a Jag FAR exceeds that of a Tesla? and would fillfull most desires of any driver, and provide a luxury ride. Purely a subjective opinion

The Tesla is a fad currently as was the first automobiles when horses were available, anything "NEW" is considered a fad. As for energy savings. nothing great in that respect due to ultra low gas prices ($2.36 per gallon in southern NM). and for the last, let's say 100 months, how log has fuel cost you that little? What about the costs of maintenance of a Jag versus a car with no engine?

I strongly feel that the high dollar, high performance Tesla S attractiveness will wear out fast based upon the resale of the Tesla S model that is not an accurate statement. Long drives are severely limited outside the State of California a few people have traveled from NYC to LA in their Tesla's, Charging stations are popping up throughout the US and you can even opt to swap the battery out for $80 at a few so you can get a fully charged battery for almost the cost of filling a fuel tank . Depreciation may be even steeper than a Jaguar Have you ever looked at the resale of a Tesla S??? That statement is WAY off. The car will get weathered if you are forced to park it outside. Which cars do not get weathered sitting outside?

While owning a Tesla S P85 is cool, it will be quite interesting to have an evaluation 12 months into the ownership. I just can't see spending over $100,000+ for this car People who buy a KIA, Ford, Hyundai, etc same the same about Jag owners. Yes, there might be a tax credit for $7500, but everyones tax situation is different, and the $7500, may not present real savings like many might suspect. You might get a $7500 credit, but how much does it really save on taxes once the return is completed. are you stating that they reason he or others buy it hinges significantly upon a tax credit? Certainly not $7500. Living in a large city such as San Fran, the high performance driving will be limited unless you have the free time to get it out on the roads. does that not apply to any car owned? You still have to comply with local speed limits in which inter city driving will be quite restricted and how does that differ from having a Jag, Porsche Mercedes, BMW, etc in SF in terms of enjoying a car designed for performance and comfort?. This not a car for putting on a race track. that is rather obvious

Just my opinion. I don't want to offend the new owner in any way and this post is not an intent to do so.

Many people like different cars. I look forward to first impressions, which I suspect will be positive (due to the excitement of new ownership), 6 months down the road, and 12 months after ownership.

People are so amazingly adverse to accepting new technologies. This sounds like the CEO of IBM stating "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers". CEO of GM said that hybrid technology will never take off now he has beeged Toyota to share theirs with them. We see this here with manual versus semi-auto trans arguments as most people are resistent to change but once it is proven supperior in most situations and companies like Ferrari adapt to this others jump aboard quickly. Tesla is well ahead of the curve, how well they can get public opinion to take hold so they can actually penetrate the auto union lobbyist will decide their ultimate fate (ie the ongoing battle with whether they can sell direct or must be forced to pander to the dealership model.) We saw this same fight many years ago with the "Tucker" car company hat was beaten down by the big 3. Elon Musk is brilliant and fighting a smart battle so far. With regards to the Model S, it was very innovative in so many ways including its distribution model, thus far the reviews are extraordinarily high as is the resale.

From someone who does not own a Tesla... just my opinion

Keep us posted. Happy motoring.

Skeeter (11-28-2014)
Old 11-27-2014, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Leeper

Have you ever looked under the hood of ANY other car with regard to wiring? Then have you looked under the hood of a Tesla... if so you realize how ridiculous that insinuation was. A Tesla has FAR less wiring than any ICE
Leeper:

Skeeter had a "major" problem with rats eating up his wiring in his XKR earlier this year. It took a long time to get the repair completed. You have to assume that if the Tesla S is parked outside, the critters just may be tempted to start eating away.

It was no insinuation, just a comment to see if he will be actually parkimg a $100,000 + car outside where rats have been a problem.

I am sure you can find his posts here on the forum reference the rat issue.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

While the energy savings may or may not be there, no one buys a $100,000 car for "savings" alone. The Tesla is a very fine 4 door automobile, competing very favorably with the best sedans in the world, including Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Jaguar, Lexus, Infiniti, and Hyundai. It is also, in my opinion, the only "real" electric automobile in that the Tesla a) has about a 300 mile range similar to its gas counterparts, b) Tesla has provided an infrastructure (all over California) throughout the country with Supercharging Stations being added on a continuous basis. No other electric vehicle manufacturer, not Nissan, GM, BMW... has backed up their sale of electric vehicles which have ranges of under 100 miles, with any support should you actually use the car to travel. They are with the exception of the Tesla, glorified golf carts, for local commuting only, which necessitates the need for another car to do the "heavy lifting."

The Tesla's styling, I believe, was heavily derived from the Jag XF. Before the S became available, there were many dozens of them in light disguise, traversing roads and freeways all over Los Angeles. Everytime I passed one, nearly everday, I was sure I was looking at the next generation XF, there were so many similarities. As it is said, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

Enjoy your new Tesla, I've heard nothing but good things about them. At the L.A. Auto Show, last week, Saleen (of racing Mustang fame) had a customized, upgraded Tesla at their stand. Maybe they know something we don't.

Last edited by tberg; 11-27-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
Leeper:

Skeeter had a "major" problem with rats eating up his wiring in his XKR earlier this year. It took a long time to get the repair completed. You have to assume that if the Tesla S is parked outside, the critters just may be tempted to start eating away.

It was no insinuation, just a comment to see if he will be actually parkimg a $100,000 + car outside where rats have been a problem.

I am sure you can find his posts here on the forum reference the rat issue.
If only the rats inside my house would go outside and chew on the car instead!!!

Quick Reply: Taking delivery of the Fast Tesla on December 1