XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Taking delivery of the Fast Tesla on December 1

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

I will wager a dinner that soon somebody will be offering an audio kit of wild exhaust sounds for Tesla drivers. Perhaps a police siren under the hood to get the attention of other drivers or onlookers.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default To Skeeter

Skeeter I just had to mention it as I was up in Albany NY today visiting one of my kids. We went to a major shopping plaza and low an behold there were 10 Tesla charging stations in the parking lot. The funny part was the spaces were all taken up by shoppers (non-electric cars) so if a Tesla was in the area it didn't have a charging slot. There was even a pick up truck with a handicap plate in a spot. I guess there needs to be a paradigm shift here.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Last Tuesday, I had to do a job in San Jose, and I left my house about 4:30am. The halfway point to the bay area from Los Angeles is the small city of Coalinga that houses the Harris Ranch (of Harris Ranch Beef and vegetables fame) Restaurant and Inn, a beautiufl, enormous restaurant and gift shop that is a favorite stop for travelers. I stopped and had breakfast there and saw that in addition to the three Tesla Superchargers already in service, there were three more in boxes waiting to be installed. About six hours later on my way home from San Jose, I stopped for lunch again at Harris Ranch, and the three new stations were already installed. All six stations had Teslas charging away with others waiting.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeeter;1110910

But I'm having a hard time understanding what [I
feels[/I] like negativity, or a "...well, buy what you want" attitude.

Skeeter
Hey Skeeter,
personally I don't feel there's any real negativity towards your choice of car in the Tesla, mine included.

Just polar opposite opinion from your standpoint on the car, perhaps pointing out what others feel may be drawbacks for them as owners.

I have to say its all been done in a fairly nice, open way too, after all you did ask for feedback or others opinions, and not all will match yours.

As I said in my post, its your money, your car and ultimately your choice. I hope it works out for you and wish you happy motoring

The following users liked this post:
richzak (11-29-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 10:52 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Jim, I certainly appreciate your wishes that I enjoy the car, that's undoubtedly a kind sentiment and thanks. And if anyone read me as thinking people were being openly hostile, I certwinly never intended to convey that... A bit of negativity, but I only commented on a few facts and one or two slightly absurd examples of the Tesla.s weaknesses.

Maybe it's a text versus speech thing but usually when for example a friend walks in the room with an absurdly over designed bright yellow suit and asks what I think and I want to be kind, I'll say something like, <pause... Look over suit... Avoid eye contact> "well, it's your money, your choice, spend it how you like..." (A tautology in any event). If he walked in with a hand tailored dark gray Kiton cashmere suit, I'd have a, "fantastic choice, wow!" - type reaction, so forgive my misread! If a misread it was.

Maybe the formatting didn't come out right or clearly enough, but the last post refer to what some responses that I said "felt" a bit negative. It's hard to say often in in writings hence the italicizes 'felt'.

Thanks for the kind words, glad to read to less enthusiastic as well, I have no problem with people who don't like my choices, I'd be upset if everyone agreed in fact, as virtually nothing I like is universally appreciated... And of the people with doubts or dislike, how many have driven in one (even the old performance model)? The new one is to the old not a contest, so multiply the crazy torque by two, among numerous other upgrades.

Don't take my replies to specifics (like being stuck with worthless batteries in five years) as being defensive though. Just trying to bring some truth and perspective to the discussion. And to just discuss. No hard feelings taken or intended. Bring out your honest thoughts. Or we can wait till the car is in hand, maybe you all will allow me to bring it (if I still have her) to the next NorCal gathering of the jags and try it in person and talk about it more fully informed (op included!).

Thanks all,

Skeeter

Last edited by Skeeter; 11-29-2014 at 11:11 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Skeeter:
JimC64 (11-30-2014), Ngarara (11-30-2014), richzak (11-29-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeeter

Thoughts? I guess no rush (maybe insurance savings?) on a decision regarding the Jag, but it'd be good to have a plan/direction.

Advice?

Skeeter
Hi Al,

That's a beautiful car...congrats on your purchase! I've never actually seen one, other than in photos, but I also don't live in a metropolitan area where you're indicating they are more popular. Hopefully it will serve your needs well and be fun to drive, and when it no longer does then you'll enjoy finding its replacement!

Keep the XKR for at least a while to see how it fits into the new mix of vehicles. You might find you appreciate it even more than before, and decide to keep it forever. Or you might decide you want a new toy with a different blend of performance, luxury, driver engagement, style, exclusivity, ect. The XK certainly excels at providing its particular blend.

You mentioned canyon carving, and some desires that are perhaps conflicting, so I don't know which way you might lean in the future. But if your focus shifts in the direction of higher performance, driver engagement and exclusivity, I'd be able to offer input on a number of possible candidates. That's been my life long passion, and where I found it in my first car, a '70 XKE convertible, I've hit the jack pot with my last purchase.

This is a spectacular video that captures the passion for those three timeless elements, and if you decide that is what's missing in your life then there are a few affordable and modern examples that could be your Holy Grail also.

Enjoy...McLaren F1 and Ferrari F40 vs Analogue supercar rivals video | Evo

Bruce

Skeeter (12-01-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Bruce , super video. I judge my car selections by looks because I'll never be able to use the performance they were created for. I look at these and my list would have the F40 as 1st and the Porsche as last. As for sound it would be a tie for the Zonda and the F50. So thanks for the video.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Jim, I certainly appreciate your wishes that I enjoy the car, that's undoubtedly a kind sentiment and thanks. And if anyone read me as thinking people were being openly hostile, I certwinly never intended to convey that... A bit of negativity, but I only commented on a few facts and one or two slightly absurd examples of the Tesla.s weaknesses.

........Or we can wait till the car is in hand, maybe you all will allow me to bring it (if I still have her) to the next NorCal gathering of the jags and try it in person and talk about it more fully informed (op included!).

Thanks all,
Skeeter
Skeeter, thanks for your comments.

I'm sure the Tesla is awesome in many ways, just not my style...we're all different.

Of course, any Jag meets we may have in the foreseeable future, please bring her along and show her off!
We have a meet coming shortly for example in the UK section with around 50 cars in total, around 44 or so will be Jags, but there's a Noble, Lotus I think and maybe a few others, no matter...

We're a car enthusiast forum that just happens to primarily focus on Jags, I'm sure some of the members would love to see your Tesla up close and personal

Best

Jim

Skeeter (12-01-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 11:25 AM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Personally, I think the Model S is very bland/generic looking (other than the grill, which to me at least is just downright ugly).
I also much prefer analog instruments and real switchgear.
That big touchscreen upfront would drive me nuts in a very short time. Especially driving at night with a big lit up panel in your peripheral vision can't ever be good or even acceptable.
The whole always-connected-and-reporting-to-the-factory thing is alone enough to completely stop me from buying (or even driving) any such car.
That said, I know all this will shortly be unavoidably what all new cars will come with and look like. Doesn't mean I have to like it or spend my money on it if its still possibly avoidable.

Last edited by JustNiz; 11-30-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:22 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

The whole always-connected-and-reporting-to-the-factory thing is alone enough to completely stop me from buying (or even driving) any such car.
That said, I know all this will shortly be unavoidably what all new cars will come with and look like. Doesn't mean I have to like it or spend my money on it if its still possibly avoidable.

If you're concerned about security and privacy here do you own a cell phone that you you keep with you??? If so you do realize that you are ALWAYS not only tracked but whtether your phone is on or off it is still tracked and can also record audio even while off. This is not "conspiracy theory" stuff but NSA protocol. Thanks to the Patriot Act...

Old 11-30-2014, 07:40 PM

And again, maybe it's worth driving one before deciding you don't like it. Who knows, the big display may be a fun change. I tend to like switches and dials also, which made the XKR a tough choice (very few gauges, weak infotainment, minimal switches). But I figured I'd give a GT a try and ended up loving the car so much that I replaced my crashed 2010 with a 2011. Love, LOVE the XKR.

Probably my best motoring experience EVER was taking the XKR down from San Francisco all the way to Venice Beach, entirely on Highway 1. For those who don't know the area, it has some of the most breathtaking coastline you could imagine, and Big Sur and the area around San Simeon are among the most exciting roads I've ever seen, let alone driven. Tons of beautifully designed switchbacks, properly banked hairpins, crests and dips... All with a cliff to one side and a LONG drop to the ocean on the other. Breathtaking both in nature and road, though getting stuck behind rented mustang convertibles doing 25 mpg puts a cramp in using a bit more of the XKR's capacity (though it IS usually the speed limit).

All in all it was a 9+ hour drive, I'll NEVER drive that road again without a passenger. The temptation to go fast in the Jag was irresistible and while I stayed safe, the last thing I need is a ticket, and I was easy bait. I had a peak experience keeping with a group of motorcyclists for a solid 45 minutes just @ Big Sur. They all got off their seats when we were forced to stop @ a red light (road outage so only one lane), and they were NUTS over the Jag and shocked that I could keep up with them. And I felt like I was holding back, giving them enough space so they didn't feel crowded...

No, I can't see that level of involvement in a car with near infinite torque all the time and no gears. But as I said before, my father would say the same of the XKR, that he could never really enjoy himself on a road like that without a manual transmission, double de-clutching on downshifts in turns, monitoring all the pressures and temperatures by eye, etc. So I'll stay open to the notion.

In any event, the Jag is last on the list when it comes to thinning the herd. And I can't imagine the Tesla hitting the visceral buttons that a cutting edge (or choice classic for that matter) would, so I'm not sure what but barring a religious experience with the P85D I'll have something more mainstream (and probably loud) as a fun car. Being single opens options that are closed to some, so no sense not having a sexy two-seater to compliment the Tesla.

Which I might have in hand this week. By the 8th @ the latest (at least that's what I'm told).

KILLER video. Will forward that to a few friends for sure...

Thanks,

Skeeter

JimC64 (11-30-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Is there a 'Telsa' forum ? Please
Lawrence

Old 11-30-2014, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulmur
Lawrence
Yes, of course.....

Forums

Old 11-30-2014, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mulmur
Lawrence
Yes, another one here: Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

Enjoy,

Skeeter

Old 12-01-2014, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

... I had a peak experience keeping with a group of motorcyclists for a solid 45 minutes just @ Big Sur. They all got off their seats when we were forced to stop @ a red light (road outage so only one lane), and they were NUTS over the Jag and shocked that I could keep up with them. And I felt like I was holding back, giving them enough space so they didn't feel crowded...
Bike riders aren't accustomed to cars that can keep up with them - and we can't, in a straight-line acceleration duel, which is what they experience at every traffic light. But on anything twisty, the XK has 4 big contact patches, and that makes all the difference. I found bikes kept getting in my way on the Nordschleife - they'd bugger off down the straights, but I'd trip over them in the braking areas and round the bends. And, of course, they weren't watching behind them, because "No-one ever keeps up with me, I'm on a bike".

Old 12-01-2014, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Bike riders aren't accustomed to cars that can keep up with them - and we can't, in a straight-line acceleration duel, which is what they experience at every traffic light. But on anything twisty, the XK has 4 big contact patches, and that makes all the difference. I found bikes kept getting in my way on the Nordschleife - they'd bugger off down the straights, but I'd trip over them in the braking areas and round the bends. And, of course, they weren't watching behind them, because "No-one ever keeps up with me, I'm on a bike".
Yes! And the occasional patch of oil-slick asphalt, gravel in the road, potholes, etc. are WAY more of a concern when I'm pushing a motorcycle. The XKR gives much more room for road imperfections, though when we hit any straight away they'd leave me in the dust. But eventually I seemed to reel them in as the twists and road imperfections forced them to dial it back a bit. Not many straight aways on that section of Highway 1. No question I had to get in the zone and push the car as hard as I ever have. I was seriously worried they'd get off their bikes at the light and get aggressive, much to my surprise it was all love, accommodating requests to take pictures with them in the Jag, etc.

A far less rapid way to get from northern to Southern California than other routes, but I felt like I was actually getting some of my tax dollars back by being able to drive such a magnificent stretch of well designed and maintained road.

Maybe a bit tight a road for the XKR, I found myself on the brakes and unable to use all the power, but no complaints! An all time motoring high...

Skeeter

Ngarara (12-02-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 01:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

You can only get so hot into a corner or braking on a bike.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:04 AM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Skeeter I just had to mention it as I was up in Albany NY today visiting one of my kids. We went to a major shopping plaza and low an behold there were 10 Tesla charging stations in the parking lot. The funny part was the spaces were all taken up by shoppers (non-electric cars) so if a Tesla was in the area it didn't have a charging slot. There was even a pick up truck with a handicap plate in a spot. I guess there needs to be a paradigm shift here.
I'm assuming that if a handicapped person parked in one, the chargers were installed in the parking spots closest to the mall doors. If so, that's a particularly inappropriate/stupid place to put them. (I speak as someone who works for one of the largest car charging station companies in the US (not Tesla) ).

Last edited by JustNiz; 12-02-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:55 PM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

That AWD Tesla is gonna be a beast. Please never line up with me at Sonoma Weds. night drags, OK?

One note on the gorgeous Hwy 1 drive south from the bay area: as drivers, we're all tempted to play hooky once in awhile and take that beautiful road when there's much less traffic mid-weekday. On Hwy 1, especially on Fridays, the CHP knows this and is out in force around those sweeping corners... and with a 55 mph limit, you can easily broach the "25+ over speed limit" threshold that means "no traffic school for you" in California. Sparse traffic means your radar detector may not get a bounce off someone else's car, especially if they're using the point 'n shoot hand unit. Don't ask me how I know; let's just say it was a fine day, I had the Viper, and I was on the way to Seca

Congrats on the car, and please post up some pics!

Rich

Old 12-02-2014, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rw99
That AWD Tesla is gonna be a beast. Please never line up with me at Sonoma Weds. night drags, OK?

One note on the gorgeous Hwy 1 drive south from the bay area: as drivers, we're all tempted to play hooky once in awhile and take that beautiful road when there's much less traffic mid-weekday. On Hwy 1, especially on Fridays, the CHP knows this and is out in force around those sweeping corners... and with a 55 mph limit, you can easily broach the "25+ over speed limit" threshold that means "no traffic school for you" in California. Sparse traffic means your radar detector may not get a bounce off someone else's car, especially if they're using the point 'n shoot hand unit. Don't ask me how I know; let's just say it was a fine day, I had the Viper, and I was on the way to Seca

Congrats on the car, and please post up some pics!

Rich

Rich, meaning you got a ticket? And no traffic school? Ouch. Is that not a magnificent road? I'll admit to taking all kinds of ticket risks on the drive. And there were indeed plenty of CHP SUVs around sweeping curves in nice little hiding spots. And I was SO ultra focused on hitting every apex, shifting and breaking at the right time, unleashing fist the immense wave of torque the XKR puts down and then loving the horsepower that comes on as I wound the engine up, that I just threw ticket caution to the wind. Nothing dangerous given the car's limits and my speed, but definitely major ticket bait.

Fate smiled on me, but like I said, never will I take that route without a passenger to reel me in a bit. Way too fun and too much financial risk in another ticket.

Oh, and Waze and Trapster type apps don't work on the really fun stretches, zero cell reception for (as I recall) hours at a time. And yeah, a radar detector (if I had one) wouldn't be much good unless there were cars ahead of you, and at the speeds we were driving the point is not to be behind anyone, so limited help there...

Any other roads in the area you'd suggest? Can't imagine anything as epic as 1 from Carmel down to LA though.

Skeeter

Last edited by Skeeter; 12-02-2014 at 04:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Taking delivery of the Fast Tesla on December 1