XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Taking delivery of the Fast Tesla on December 1

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Don't see the appeal of the Tesla myself, not being the ultra, green, save the planet type.

Personally I like the roar and would love a V8 Supercharged beast, but alas, money or lack of it and very high fuel prices mean that'll never happen, at least not in the near future...lol

That's just my 2c worth

Skeeter, it's your money, your car and your choice buddy

I genuinely wish you the best of luck and happy motoring when it arrives

Old 11-27-2014, 09:42 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeeter
Coincidentally they finish the build and called to tell me it'd be ready to pick up on... My birthday! How cool is that?

But now, the question is what to do with the Jaguar. I've been enjoying the HE'LL out of the XKR lately, reveling in the exhaust note, the snap of the gearshift, and the overall feel of the car.

I guess I'm going to have to decide whether to keep a fossil burning, exciting exhaust note, gearshifting car despite the inferior performance. That or buy something bonkers like a 911 Turbo S, or a Nissan GTR. But seriously, having one car that slingshots to 60 in 3.2 seconds seems like it might be enough ;-)

Skeeter

I will take it off you for a low price - you obviously do not need the money so lets make a deal !

Old 11-27-2014, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
Do you have to park the Tesla "outside" with all the rats?

I am sure the rats would have a field day with all that wiring.
Richard,

Last month I visited the Tesla showroom in Marietta, a suburb of Atlanta, where they had on display two bare chassis to show the engineering, technology, and construction. Because Teslas are built with a full belly pan from front to rear, it appeared that the wiring is not exposed and readily available for a snack by a rodent. But they're resourceful critters and will find a way in if they want to.

I was most impressed by the technology and performance, but ŕeally disappointed by the interior design and materials, which I thought did not compare to other cars in that price range. The huge touchscreen and its functionality is cutting edge and unique, but for me that didn't overcome the other shortcomings of the interior. The exterior design, while very sleek, was reminiscent of the XF which, itself, is a smaller version of the Lexus LS460. For an advanced technology electric vehicle, I thought the body styling should have been more distinctive.

I decided to not buy a Tesla as I wanted a car with a more distinctive design, both inside and out, that oozed quality, character, performance and beauty. For me, that was the 2013 Jaguar XJ 5.0 Supercharged.

Teslas are hugely popular in the Atlanta metro area, and Tesla will soon open a second store in the Lenox Square Mall in Buckhead, a very popular shopping center. Different strokes for different folks.

Stuart

Old 11-27-2014, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

I had names for the rats I used to see in our house every night, they were such frequent guests.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I'd like to drive a Tesla to see what it's all about. Quite popular around Boston and I can understand from a market perspective why they only went "so far" with the styling. They need to build mass appeal and masses aren't looking for too much distinction. Tesla has/had an uphill battle getting consumer to buy an all electric vehicle with apparently good success so far. On top of that going against the franchise model on a national scale. Either one is a big deal and they are doing both.

I don't believe the market is there yet to support something as stylized as members of this forum would like and hit the sales numbers to warrant the venture.

That being said, I think they've done enough on the outside to capture interest. I haven't seen or sat inside one to form an opinion on the interior.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I feel like the last few years have been like a golden age of automobiles. When has there been such a wide variety of interesting vehicles? Sports cars and even green cars are faster than ever! Lots of variety for family cars, too.

I think the Tesla Model S will be remembered as one of the most significant cars in history, even if I have no desire to buy one. It has really proven the concept that green cars can be exciting and even mainstream.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:31 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

I think the telltale with these $100k cars is what they'll be worth after five years, with diminishing battery life and discontinuance of Government subsidies. I think they'll eventually make the purchase of a Jag XK look like a Donald Trump real estate play. Look at the the Chevy Volt. Even with significant discounting, due to government grants and GM price dropping, they can't move them. There is simply no mass interest in electric vehicles and my guess is that once the new gimmicky shine is off the Tesla brand, it won't take long for the end to come. Not unless they can make them for $20k, at least.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:21 PM
Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
with diminishing battery life

That might be a moot point with the rollout of their "Battery Swap" stations.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Ouch! Base P85D here in the UK is £76,400 - fully optioned it's £101,930. Which is pricey, in any currency.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member

We must be living in different worlds. Where I am, interest in electric cars is intense. I can't tell you how many people find out I'm a car guy and then proclaim that they wish they could buy that new Tesla.

Electric powertrains are finally making their way into performance cars, including the Porsche 918 and Jaguar C-X75. Not to mention the Audi etron racecars!

The world is moving and we must move with it or be left behind!

Last edited by amcdonal86; 11-29-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member

The P85D is certainly an impressive prospect 0-60. I wonder what its handling is like, and also how it goes at higher speeds. Should have a low centre of gravity, which will help handling, but I'm guessing its suspension is more saloon than sporting.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Although the spec's look great I am not to enamored about the design. I saw one the other day and from the front I didn't know if it was a Honda or a Mitsubishi . I am assuming the OP is using this as his commuter . For that purpose I think it might be a purposeful car. I have a "land cruiser" Lexus as my trip car but I wouldn't put the XKR in the same category. Somehow I think the Teslar would be just like driving the Lexus only I'd be plugging it in every night. Different strokes for different folks and that's what makes this country great.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:54 AM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

I think some of you need to read up on the Tesla (and my precious posts) to get some facts straight. Let's start with this whole 'Tesla thing is a fad' thing. Really?! Is this something that ANY major car magazine agrees with you on? Is every manufacturer of cars trying to produce something similar (more if not all electric)? That Consumer Reports gave the old and tepid version their highest rating ever? An absurd assertion and needs no further discussion imo, but feel free...

Second, low resale and worthless batteries in five years? Don't see how that'll happen when the batteries have an 8 year, unlimited mile warranty. And the cost of replacement is committed not to exceed a fairly low sum, which will undoubtedly be way lower when the time comes Bue to battery tech and production improvements.

As to resale, resale is remarkably high, if I'm to go by people I know who've sold their 'old' Model S's to buy new ones. Like nearly two years of ownership for $12k loss, that includes a resale to CarMax, no less. I doubt I'll do as well with the Jag, but again, not a concern of major consideration. I buy cars to enjoy them, not to make money like Donald Trump when we resell our xkr's in ten years (seriously?).

I also don't see why people think buying a Tesla means NOT owning a gas guzzling, roaring ice car as well. In my first post I opined that after reading the specs and first (super short) reviews of the P85D, it may satiate my need for speed, and maybe I'll need to step up the ice car to match, or try the new electric rail for a while to see how I adjust to speed without the gears and motor's roar. In my second, I express how hard it'd be to let the XKR go, having owned a 2010 and 2011 coupe. Love the car, no lack of pleasure and uniqueness. Guys, if I were a passionate 'fuel saving' type, would I own the XKR?

Buying the tesla because it's performance, ability to seat five (in a fairly seriously redesigned interior, at least as far as all the seating is concerned). Stuart, I'm afraid you were looking at the previous generation interior, the one I bought is the new performance interior, including side bolsters for the rear seat passengers, hasn't hit the showroom yet. Pictures on the site, but you have to know what to look for... Well received by the press, hope you dig it as well.

As to exterior design, I find the car well executed, though obviously not off-the-rails like the i8. For a big interior, immense trunk with a second under the hood, 5klb. car, and nearly unequalled aerodynamics, the looks are strong but not the selling point to me. After all, I own an XKR! What could compare?

As to handling, I'll be very interested to see how it fares agains all comers. Center of gravity is either lowest or second lowest of any car on US roads, so while it is a porker, the old weight-to-handling rules do not apply. Almost all the car's weight is UNDER the floorboard. Think about this and imagine the handling potential, even at nearly 5k lbs., it throws a full G laterally. And think of that low center of mass having to offset only 7-800lbs from the XKR and it is far from clear to me that our current cars will win in the twisties, though I hope they do.

As to my friendly neighborhood rats... First off you guys crack me up recounting my mad tales of rodent battles and repairs. Seriously, laughed hard at the first mention and every subsequent. Ok, no attacks since then. The rats (or the cats who ate them) are the only ones who know what happened and they aren't talking. So for now I think I'm safe.

Repeat the perception that there is WAY less access to copper in this car. The batteries are cooled, but otherwise quite armored and closed off. In any event 1)no worse than any other car unless you know of one made of stuff rats cat's eat-good luck) 2)insurance covered the Jag, I expect it'd do the same for the Tesla, and unlike having to wait weeks for a wiring harness from the UK, the factory this thing is being built is just down the road... And finally 3)might be moving to new digs, or at minimum installing a garage. Then I could really go nuts with a second car, should something louder and smoother and faster and as sexy and as exotic as the XKR capture my eye without going overboard.

But I'm having a hard time understanding what feels like negativity, or a "...well, buy what you want" attitude. None of you seeming naysayers or critics are at all excited at the prospect of a completely silent-motored car that carries five FULL SIZED adults in comfort AND rocks a 3.2 0-60 and a sub 12 quarter, & summons up nearly 700hp and equal torque INSTANTLY, as soon as you put the pedal down? No transmission? All in near total comparative silence and (when not scaring passengers) comfort? If not curios and interested, I suggest you try to broaden your horizons and be open to new things, especially when they aren't so terribly far from current passions.

As to practicality, I can't speak for everyone; my decision is based on where I live and my lifestyle. And there are chargers everywhere. I'm putting in an 80 amp 240v wall charger @ home, which will pretty much fill 're up in a few hours. Not much cold up here in NorCal these days, so no issues there. And the Tesla is, in contrary, NAUSEATINGLY practical and easy to own here in the SF Bay Area. Which is why every third car is one, just not the bonkers fast one. I drive more than 200 miles at one pass maybe three or four times a year. For longer trips Id take the ice car or, if I need to carry more than 1 passenger, use supercharging and camper charging stations. And drive nearly anywhere.

Carpool access is GOLD up here. I'll freely state that government rebates and Hov lane access probably weren't intended for $135k+ cars, but I'm glad to use that carpool lane. And any fed and CA rebates to to the new car fund ;-)

By way of reassurance, if the car turns out to be a letdown, I'll simply sell it (it is a high demand car), and try something else. No other sedan out there has the combination of speed, safety, comfort and useful technology. The RS7 doesn't cut it, the Panamera only seats four and isn't as fast and neither let you refuel @ home for pennies on the dollar nor refuel for life for free at the growing number of supercharging stations, to say nothing of battery swaps which are sure to be an option. This is a proven platform, taken to extreme measures. I'd think we would ALL agree that more extreme cars are to be applauded and encouraged. We're that there were a dozen independent manufacturers putting out cars this novel and fast as options, Ite be heaven for all of us.

I'll tell you, I was the most vocal critic till I drove the waaaay slower model. The low center of gravity and MAD instant torque must be felt. And the silence heard. Ha.

Did I mention reliability, when there are no Pistons, no crank, driveshaft, and on & on... Regenerative brakes keep brake jobs few and far between as well,mercy VERY little to break, extremely few moving parts to fix.

No, I think I choose well and hope the naysayers among you get some time behind the wheel of a P85D. Not the 'regular' Model S, but the P85D. Pm me if you are in the east bay and we will see what we can arrange ;-)

Finally, don't sweat the purchase price as a major life changing commitment. I'm not the only one on the board (Bruce?) who could have a car disappear with no insurance and not have it ruin their financial year, and I'm grateful to be able to buy the car without stressing over the cost. I intend to treat it with FAR less careful measures than the Jag. It's my dd and I'm going to try and not sweat some tree sap or paint issues that'll inevitably come with years of use. Life is for the living and trust me when I tell you that living well and enjoying life doesn't come easy for me and some very hard times are behind me, so if there's some amusement and pleasure to be had behind the wheel of the P85D, it'll be for the better.

Review a bit over a week off, stand by & thanks for making it to the bottom of another verbose post!

Peace,

Skeeter

Last edited by Skeeter; 11-29-2014 at 01:17 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Skeeter:
amcdonal86 (11-29-2014), richzak (11-29-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 01:16 AM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

And another thing...

Not a SINGLE 'Road Warrior' shoutout? Really? Guess not a big Jaguar owner crossover.

And NYD Boyd, if the race were downhill, depending on speed, you might not only loose that race but the Tesla will recoup energy when slowing down... And do you find yourself in many races to 266 mile races? Must be a fad I'm not aware of.

Skeeter

Old 11-29-2014, 02:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

No, I think I choose well and hope the naysayers among you get some time behind the wheel of a P85D. Not the 'regular' Model S, but the P85D. Pm me if you are in the east bay and we will see what we can arrange ;-)
If I am in that part of our nation, I will certainly give you a PM! Sounds like a hoot of a car. That kind of power must shred tires.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:59 AM
Veteran Member

I'll 'high five' you on the Mad Max Interceptor - that XB Falcon was every Australasian boy's wet dream in the late 70s. The nearest I could manage was a 3-litre Ford Capri. Of course, the Falcon's supercharger was a fake, and the foley guys added the right sound effects. But a few replicas with real blowers have been built since.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Skeeter,

My comments were not intended to "bad mouth" the Tesla, since I said, "I was most impressed by the technology and performance. " No other sedan comes close to the performance of your P85D.

Rocket sled acceleration is not at the top of my list of priorities, but I most certainly will never own a "pig". I'm just saying that, in my opinion, there is no comparison between the interiors of your brand new 2015 $135,000 Tesla and my CPO 2013 $60,000 XJ 5.0LSC. I chose the XJ as the better value for my needs.

I'm sure that you're going to love driving your new Tesla - I can only imagine what a hoot it will be blowing the doors off everything else in total silence! Debadge it (or rebadge as a P85S) and you'll have the ultimate "sleeper".

Life is a short journey down the long and winding road, so enjoy the ride!

Stuart

The following users liked this post:
Skeeter (12-01-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I think some of you need to read up on the Tesla (and my precious posts) to get some facts straight. Let's start with this whole 'Tesla thing is a fad' thing. Really?! Is this something that ANY major car magazine agrees with you on? Is every manufacturer of cars trying to produce something similar (more if not all electric)? That Consumer Reports gave the old and tepid version their highest rating ever? An absurd assertion and needs no further discussion imo, but feel free...

Second, low resale and worthless batteries in five years? Don't see how that'll happen when the batteries have an 8 year, unlimited mile warranty. And the cost of replacement is committed not to exceed a fairly low sum, which will undoubtedly be way lower when the time comes Bue to battery tech and production improvements.

As to resale, resale is remarkably high, if I'm to go by people I know who've sold their 'old' Model S's to buy new ones. Like nearly two years of ownership for $12k loss, that includes a resale to CarMax, no less. I doubt I'll do as well with the Jag, but again, not a concern of major consideration. I buy cars to enjoy them, not to make money like Donald Trump when we resell our xkr's in ten years (seriously?).

I also don't see why people think buying a Tesla means NOT owning a gas guzzling, roaring ice car as well. In my first post I opined that after reading the specs and first (super short) reviews of the P85D, it may satiate my need for speed, and maybe I'll need to step up the ice car to match, or try the new electric rail for a while to see how I adjust to speed without the gears and motor's roar. In my second, I express how hard it'd be to let the XKR go, having owned a 2010 and 2011 coupe. Love the car, no lack of pleasure and uniqueness. Guys, if I were a passionate 'fuel saving' type, would I own the XKR?

Buying the tesla because it's performance, ability to seat five (in a fairly seriously redesigned interior, at least as far as all the seating is concerned). Stuart, I'm afraid you were looking at the previous generation interior, the one I bought is the new performance interior, including side bolsters for the rear seat passengers, hasn't hit the showroom yet. Pictures on the site, but you have to know what to look for... Well received by the press, hope you dig it as well.

As to exterior design, I find the car well executed, though obviously not off-the-rails like the i8. For a big interior, immense trunk with a second under the hood, 5klb. car, and nearly unequalled aerodynamics, the looks are strong but not the selling point to me. After all, I own an XKR! What could compare?

As to handling, I'll be very interested to see how it fares agains all comers. Center of gravity is either lowest or second lowest of any car on US roads, so while it is a porker, the old weight-to-handling rules do not apply. Almost all the car's weight is UNDER the floorboard. Think about this and imagine the handling potential, even at nearly 5k lbs., it throws a full G laterally. And think of that low center of mass having to offset only 7-800lbs from the XKR and it is far from clear to me that our current cars will win in the twisties, though I hope they do.

As to my friendly neighborhood rats... First off you guys crack me up recounting my mad tales of rodent battles and repairs. Seriously, laughed hard at the first mention and every subsequent. Ok, no attacks since then. The rats (or the cats who ate them) are the only ones who know what happened and they aren't talking. So for now I think I'm safe.

Repeat the perception that there is WAY less access to copper in this car. The batteries are cooled, but otherwise quite armored and closed off. In any event 1)no worse than any other car unless you know of one made of stuff rats cat's eat-good luck) 2)insurance covered the Jag, I expect it'd do the same for the Tesla, and unlike having to wait weeks for a wiring harness from the UK, the factory this thing is being built is just down the road... And finally 3)might be moving to new digs, or at minimum installing a garage. Then I could really go nuts with a second car, should something louder and smoother and faster and as sexy and as exotic as the XKR capture my eye without going overboard.

But I'm having a hard time understanding what feels like negativity, or a "...well, buy what you want" attitude. None of you seeming naysayers or critics are at all excited at the prospect of a completely silent-motored car that carries five FULL SIZED adults in comfort AND rocks a 3.2 0-60 and a sub 12 quarter, & summons up nearly 700hp and equal torque INSTANTLY, as soon as you put the pedal down? No transmission? All in near total comparative silence and (when not scaring passengers) comfort? If not curios and interested, I suggest you try to broaden your horizons and be open to new things, especially when they aren't so terribly far from current passions.

As to practicality, I can't speak for everyone; my decision is based on where I live and my lifestyle. And there are chargers everywhere. I'm putting in an 80 amp 240v wall charger @ home, which will pretty much fill 're up in a few hours. Not much cold up here in NorCal these days, so no issues there. And the Tesla is, in contrary, NAUSEATINGLY practical and easy to own here in the SF Bay Area. Which is why every third car is one, just not the bonkers fast one. I drive more than 200 miles at one pass maybe three or four times a year. For longer trips Id take the ice car or, if I need to carry more than 1 passenger, use supercharging and camper charging stations. And drive nearly anywhere.

Carpool access is GOLD up here. I'll freely state that government rebates and Hov lane access probably weren't intended for $135k+ cars, but I'm glad to use that carpool lane. And any fed and CA rebates to to the new car fund ;-)

By way of reassurance, if the car turns out to be a letdown, I'll simply sell it (it is a high demand car), and try something else. No other sedan out there has the combination of speed, safety, comfort and useful technology. The RS7 doesn't cut it, the Panamera only seats four and isn't as fast and neither let you refuel @ home for pennies on the dollar nor refuel for life for free at the growing number of supercharging stations, to say nothing of battery swaps which are sure to be an option. This is a proven platform, taken to extreme measures. I'd think we would ALL agree that more extreme cars are to be applauded and encouraged. We're that there were a dozen independent manufacturers putting out cars this novel and fast as options, Ite be heaven for all of us.

I'll tell you, I was the most vocal critic till I drove the waaaay slower model. The low center of gravity and MAD instant torque must be felt. And the silence heard. Ha.

Did I mention reliability, when there are no Pistons, no crank, driveshaft, and on & on... Regenerative brakes keep brake jobs few and far between as well,mercy VERY little to break, extremely few moving parts to fix.

Finally, don't sweat the purchase price as a major life changing commitment. I'm not the only one on the board (Bruce?) who could have a car disappear with no insurance and not have it ruin their financial year, and I'm grateful to be able to buy the car without stressing over the cost. I intend to treat it with FAR less careful measures than the Jag. It's my dd and I'm going to try and not sweat some tree sap or paint issues that'll inevitably come with years of use. Life is for the living and trust me when I tell you that living well and enjoying life doesn't come easy for me and some very hard times are behind me, so if there's some amusement and pleasure to be had behind the wheel of the P85D, it'll be for the better.

Review a bit over a week off, stand by & thanks for making it to the bottom of another verbose post!

Peace,

Skeeter
Skeeter please don't try to defend your choice. The car has impressive stats but it appears to not be of everyone's liking. When you get it please post pics and your driving experience. Oh as for me I would be less likely to move to California then to take a test drive in a Tesla. As an old motorhead I must admit I do like the lines of the BMW i8 though and considering I am not a BMW fan that is saying something about it's style. Enjoy the ride.

richzak (11-29-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member

Peace,

Skeeter
Hey don't lump me in with those old farts! I find electric cars fascinating! I think the thing that stops me from wanting a Tesla is the price and how common the car is around here.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:30 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

And another thing...

Not a SINGLE 'Road Warrior' shoutout? Really? Guess not a big Jaguar owner crossover.

And NYD Boyd, if the race were downhill, depending on speed, you might not only loose that race but the Tesla will recoup energy when slowing down... And do you find yourself in many races to 266 mile races? Must be a fad I'm not aware of.

Skeeter
You seem to be rather sensitive to feedback on your lust for the Tesla. I bet you're a hoot to discuss politics with. In any event, if you're doing 0-60 runs in your electric vehicle or even driving it briskly, the drain on the battery system will be severe, thus, significantly diminishing capacity. As for technical advancement, car battery companies have been falling like autumn leaves due to financial ruin and/or government grant fraud. Even BMW has closed their German battery plant. That country now has not one manufacturer of batteries. With respect to all car makers having an electric car program, we can thank, in part, Obama's mileage restrictions thrust on all car manufacturers for that. Every Chevy Volt that comes off the assembly line is costing GM money and the longer they gather dust on a dealer lot, the more that loss becomes. As a previous GM bond holder who was given the middle finger so that the unions could benefit, that chafes my unmentionables to no end.

Look, you are free to spend your hard earned wealth any way you wish, however, taxpayers should not be contributing one cent to the development process. Solyndra and the demise of many other publicly funded companies, is too often the result. In fact, not to sway from the topic at hand, but the whole Global Warming thing has been the biggest fraud ever and God only knows the financial tally on that one.

Good luck with your new car and I'm glad you are passionate about the technology behind it. For me, I can and will continue to live with that annoying throttle sound from the back end of my little English sports car.

richzak (11-29-2014)

Quick Reply: Taking delivery of the Fast Tesla on December 1