XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Tesla Style Head Unit for X150

Old 02-13-2021, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts
Default Tesla Style Head Unit for X150

I'm hoping to consolidate most relevant information on the Tesla Style screen replacement. There are currently 3 active threads on this. I'm hopeful you all approve this as a sticky

-->First what it does.

It removes the volume and climate control buttons and knobs, removes the CD stack and the touchscreen.

It replaces it with a larger 12 inch touch screen. Climate controls are at the bottom and are soft touch.

The CD player is eliminated entirely.

It replaces Navigation with current Nav of your choice

It replaces the Bluetooth module

It has it's own GPS, Radio and WIFI antennas

The Touchscreen is Manufactured by SPRD (Spreadtrum)

My device is named ums512_1h10_Natv

It has proprietary software that interfaces with the HS and MS Can Bus of the Jaguar

Depending on which model you buy, it comes with Android 9 or Android 10.

I recommend you buy the largest memory 4GB DDR3 RAM/ 64GB ROM

They have 2 USB cables that support both charging and data transport.

There are several suppliers on Ali Express. I’m not recommending any supplier. I bought mine from Aostar.

Most suppliers provide a 1 year warranty. The one I purchased provides a 2 year warranty.

It includes wood grained (plastic) burl wood fascia that will not match the fascia in your car. You will have to wrap it. Painting it will prolyl void your warranty.

Here’s an example of the one I bought but wherever you shop, look at the specs

1. CanBus Supported

2. Built-in CarPlay and Android Auto (64GB version)

3. Supports HD 1024P + Supports Lossless music

4. Built-in Wifi / Supports 3G/4G Network

5. Supports Android App download and Google play store

6. Capacitive Multi-touch screen / Resolution HD 1024*768 IPS Screen

7. GPS Navigation

8. Video Support: WMV (VC1 Code) AVI (H.264, MPEG4, Xvid, WMV), MP4 (H.263, H.264, MPEG4), MPG(MPEG-2), M4V (H.264, MPEG4)

9. Bluetooth 4.0 Supports All Brands of Cellphones, Phonebook Input, Music Playback, Supports Name Search By A-Z

10. Radio

11. Equalizer

12. Built in microphone

13. Steering wheel controls work

14. RCA for back up camera

15. TPMS is optional. It displays PSI, Tire air temp, battery voltage of each sensor and lets you set warning thresholds.

16. Support External TV is optional - SupportExternal DVB-T2/DVB-T/ISDB-T. Need to buy DVB-T2/DVB-T/ISDB-T separately

PLEASE NOTE: The above are the specs on my unit. Check your supplier to confirm the same.

Climate controls are fully functional including heated seats/ steering wheel. As of this writing we’re waiting for confirmation from Ralphwig that seat cooling is functional.

This is what it doesn’t do:

1. There is no Valet Mode as exists in OEM

2. Temperatures are displayed in Celsius only (exception is the TPMS module)

3. There are no written instructions but the pics and videos I will include below should help

4. The unit is Unrooted – Unrooted which means you don’t have admin rights. This is common with all phones and tablets so nothing new here.
You can make most changes but you cannot modify code to get Fahrenheit readouts

Here is a video showing it in use

Here is a Video showing the install

Here are views of the back of the unit:

From Luke Martin in this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2007-a-238648/

This basically lets you keep the original screen but adds car play features to it. All in all not a bad solution if you want to keep the original look and feel of the car and are concerned about a complete change.

After a lot of research I took the plunge and did a full Tesla Type screen upgrade.

The screen itself is 12.1” 64 gigs storage , 4gigs , Ram , 6 cores , and running on Android 10.1.

It is fully compatible with the car and takes over the air con controls also and all the vehicle settings except the valet option.. (Not something I use anyways)

The trim is also a very close match to the walnut trim which was also a concern . It isn’t perfect but it’s very close, you can see the picture below.

The steering wheel controls all work fine and the installation is literally plug and play apart from the few extra connections needed . This allows you to easily re install the original system anytime as all the original connectors remain intact.

This unit has great settings for the audio and it certainly is a big sound improvement too. The gps on goodie maps is gorgeous on this size screen .

It can mirror you’re phones both android and Apple. Fully supports CarPlay, It also has a sim slot which runs from a cable connection so you can easily hide this and install a sim if you need . It comes with two usb connections so I used one for the Dvr which leaves one spare.

The overall result is amazing , it updates the look and feel of the car and you can now install both rear, front and 360 degree cameras if you wish.

For me I installed a reverse camera and a Dvr but am now considering the 360 camera for the future.

Small things to take note of : The aerial now takes a while to go down when you lock the car , this is because the screen takes a while to fully shut down. Around 5 mins.

When installing the unit make sure you tuck all the cables away from the back of the ashtray otherwise the ashtray won’t open.

The original head unit had a speaker for the parking sensor so I installed a separate small speaker and tucked it behind otherwise you have no audio feedback for the sensors .

I do recommend this as an upgrade to anyone out there wanting to get more from the entertainment system.

The radio is great, the added features of being able to download apps from the google play store is nice .

It isn’t compatible with Netflix but the passenger can always mirror their phones if they have Netflix as a work around ...

Spotify works great on this unit also.

The boot up time is great it’s almost
instant because it never fully shuts down and has a standby mode. You can display your car on the screen and when you open the doors it shows up on screen .On a cold reboot the jaguar logo shows up.

In place of the original clock display you now have a digital clock display. It would have been nice if they had options for this though ..... perhaps there are I would need to look into this .

Lastly do be careful on installation with draining the car battery by constant restarts . My battery went
flat because of this and before that happened, the car started to report errors on the cruise control and forward alert system which worried me which ended up in more restarts which contributed to draining the battery . However, now the car has been driven and the battery charged up, it’s all back to normal.

The final thing is I notice is a buzzing noise from the steering, I believe after researching this, it isn’t due to the stereo upgrade but something to do with the car climate control sensor which has a small fan that blows over the sensor. If anyone has some more info on this , it is appreciated . I think it could just be a coincidence and I’ll try to fix that soon.

in the mean time here are the pics ..

Vehicle info

settings

Trip info

settings

settings

settings

settings

Then there is this post which discusses it. Canavie is just one of many sellers:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2012-a-237605/

This Thread has most of the information regarding the install and I've consolidated a bit and removed the "noise" most of which was mine:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...system-239623/

Kurt's assessment:

I tried covering some of that earlier ITT, but for the most part everything operates as it did with the OEM head unit. A couple of obvious ones:
  1. No CD player anymore, but you can either use the native "Music" app and plug your music library into the USB cable (which I did - works great) OR use the CarPlay app (an upgrade from most Sellers, but worth it for me since I'm a heavy Apple user). Either solution allows you to use the built-in sound equalizer, and both Peter and I think the sound quality is BETTER than the OEM head unit delivered.
  2. No direct button to push for SiriusXM satellite radio, but as noted above if there's an app for that in the Google Play Store (there is), then you should be able to download it to the new head unit and sign in using that methodology. I suspect the downside to this is you'll be using the "hotspot" data connection for your phone to access it via the WiFi connection with the new screen unit, but that's the case if you want to do any of the data centric apps anyway (e.g. Maps).
    1. Full disclosure - I'm no longer a Sirius/XM subscriber, so I have no personal experience in attempting this solution.
    2. Note: I've had mixed success in getting the screen to pair directly with my phone's LTE cellular connection, but like most of these things I'm pretty sure I changed something when I originally started pounding through the various setting screens (there are LOTS of them) and changed something that horked it up. I'll figure it out eventually.
  3. No OEM on-screen messaging for any kind of code error or "engine lamp" warnings. You still get the warning lights in the area between the speedometer and tachometer, but the OEM head unit screen messages aren't there anymore. I had an intermittent code pop yesterday (not altogether unusual with my 12 year old vehicle), so I had to disconnect the ADU bluetooth sender and plug in my code reader to see what it was and to clear the code. FWIW, the new screen unit DOES track how many miles since the last time the codes were cleared, so it's "aware" of codes, and once again there's probably a setting somewhere in the myriad of settings that would enable these to display "on screen".
  4. No native interface to the TPMS system. Sean W did some research on this before selecting his vendor-of-choice, and there are supplement solutions to integrate a TPMS system with the new screen setup. I contacted my Seller following Sean's DM's with me on this subject, and they've offered a solution which includes the four (4) tire sensors and the receiving unit (which would plug directly into my USB port) for $50 US. Goodness, you can't even buy the sensors for that price, so this isn't an issue without a decent solution, IMO.
  5. Glare / "black screen". Well, the screen doesn't ever go black, but I drive with polarized sunglasses on and when I glance at the screen, it's pretty much a black hole until I lift the glasses so I can see it. Didn't have that problem with the OEM screen, but polarized sunglasses have that effect on a lot of digital screens - it's particularly annoying at "petrol stations" (see what I did there as an homage to our friends across the pond?). Again, not a deal breaker but one of those "usability" things that I didn't expect, but encountered nonetheless.
  6. Color Match - unless you go with the "black" option for the surrounding trim piece OR are a handy guy with staining/film installation, the provided "wood look" from my Seller was not a perfect match with my "honey burr/burl" wood trim in my vehicle. I tried the film approach (it actually turned out pretty well for my 1st attempt at such a thing), but I didn't like the "flat" look of the film with the more polished look of the OEM wood trim. The film was a closer match than the provided trim piece from a coloration perspective, but I just didn't like the way it looked, so I peeled it off and went "native" on my surrounding trim piece. I've gotten used to it, and it's not like anyone going for their 1st ride in the car would look at that screen and go, "WOW - Jaguar really had their **** together with electronics in 2008, didn't they!" LMAO.
Those are kind of the highlights/lowlights from my perspective after several weeks of use. Overall, I'm glad it made the switch, but my decision was partly driven by the prospect of a failing OEM head unit.

Some Pics of Kurt's install:

back of the unit

Kurts thumb

These are no longer used. Blue connector is GVIF which send images from the poem nav unit to the hem touchscreen

backup camera

Ready to mount it

Reverse!
If you have an OEM camera, you will need one of these:

Main Screen Launcher view

Additional screen (swipe right)

Close up of climate controls

CarPlay

FIBER OPTICS - there was some discussion on Fiber Optics and which ones to loop out and which to connect to the new unit.
From Kurt:

The video plug that is part of the wiring loom with the green connector is the one that goes into the "Head Unit Replacement" component provided by the Seller (see pic below):

Sound System:
If you have Premium Sound System, it should just be plug and play.
It appears if you have the Base sound system, you may need to connect the speaker wires to the OEM connector as peterV8 did below. Tool he used is a ferrule tool. Speaker wires are installed in the unit already but it appears they may not be labeled, I don't recall.

Ferrule tool

pins applied

pins installed
peterV8's impressions and videos:
https://i.imgur.com/3qYTC8S.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/vrpu428.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/dWdtNbi.mp4

Vehicle Controls

My install and impressions:

TPMS - There are 2 options. Internal which we all use today (sensors in the tires 433 Mhz) and External
Internal

External

imo the external look silly and are about 3/4" around

TPMS Display below. As mentioned above- TPMS is optional. It displays PSI, Tire air temp, battery voltage of each sensor and lets you set warning thresholds.

After initial setup, here are some of my impressions on the launcher. The launcher used in the Android is Launcher3. For those that don't speak android, launchers are what you see when the screen boots up. I'm not a big fan of the launcher and have tried some others. Just so you are aware, changing launchers DOES NOT overwrite your system. It just changes the look of your screens. Your climate will still be on the screen and your setting will still be at the top, regardless of which launcher you use. Removing the app will return you to the original that came with the unit. You can also go into setting and change back over to the stock launcher. So to be clear, you won't damage anything. Factory reset is also available so none of this is an issue.

None of the car launchers worked real well for me. You can try any of them and just remove them if you don't like them.

CARWEBGURU: I've used car launchers in the past and my favorite is carwebguru, mostly because it has multiple screens you can just swipe right. On the second screen I had Torque Pro widgets that displayed coolant temp and Battery voltage. You saw that with my GVIF setup. Well that was before Android 10. There are several videos on how to set it up but it doesn't play well with Android 10 and has too many bugs.
1) Widgets are not yet available with Android 10. So that sucks. I might revisit is at another time once the developer restores the widget functionality.
2) It has a built in music player but the equalizer is not great.
3) It's ad supported only which means you can't buy it. You will get one ad per day. Not a big deal but worth noting.
You can see it here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rwebguru&hl=en

CAR LAUNCHER:
This one I spent little time testing because it only has a single screen and no widgets.
1) You can buy the Pro version for $5, but still no room for widgets. I like my widgets.
You can see it here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...car.free&hl=en

AGAMA:
This app is primarily designed for horizontal displays - 16:9
1) you can set it to full screen but the display becomes oblong.
2) on the standard 16:9 screen setting, the app fills the top half of the screen and the bottom half is black. You can probably overlay widgets but I didn't try as I found the app/ display kind of meh.
3) It supports most music players so you can download on of your liking. I might revisit this one and try the torque app widgets on the lower half of the screen.
You can view it here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...launcher&hl=en

The Launcher that came with the unit -
1) The radio - no issue other than I don't know how to turn it off. Anyone?
2) The music player - I don't see an option to create playlists. Anyone?
3) I'd like the climate controls to remain open but they time out and collapse (not a big deal, just a personal preference)
3) I don't like that the primary screen is locked and you can't change the widgets so if I wanted to install a different radio app or music app, I can't replace the displayed widget on the main screen.
4) To make any changes (Celsius to Fahrenheit, main screen apps, etc) is going to be tough without rooting the system and rooting will void the warranty. I will look for workarounds. Kurt, that's what I mean't when I wrote that it will take a long time.
5) I want the option to reboot on startup. Yes I know it takes a couple of minutes but current setup just puts the unit in sleep mode. Dunno what kind of a drain that is on the battery if any.

OEM Launcher with a couple of Torque widgets added

carwebguru launch

Agama Car Launcher

The rest of my wish list is just some automation.

From CeeJay
Folding Mirrors - yes
Global open/close - yes
Clear dash warnings - no
Passive alarm activation - Don't know

Last edited by Sean W; 02-13-2021 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Edit thread title + add to "HOW TO" sticky
The following 26 users liked this post by Sean W:
arenaej (02-13-2021), barnsie (09-17-2023), Cee Jay (02-13-2021), CotswoldRS (01-03-2024), DGL (02-13-2021), ericsan (08-15-2021), ExKayRick (03-15-2021), GGG (02-13-2021), gkubrak (02-13-2021), gmuirnz (02-13-2021), jahummer (02-14-2021), kj07xk (02-13-2021), Kuli Singh (02-14-2021), lalavfr (01-31-2024), LockNumber25 (02-14-2021), LoudHogRider (02-23-2021), mosesbotbol (02-13-2021), Nookat (02-19-2021), peterv8 (02-14-2021), ralphwg (02-13-2021), Reverend Sam (02-26-2021), somenavyguy (02-18-2021), tampamark (02-14-2021), TexasTraveler (02-22-2021), u102768 (02-13-2021), V7Sport (02-14-2021) and 21 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-13-2021, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Absolutely! Outstanding compilation that's very helpful.

The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Reverend Sam (03-13-2021), somenavyguy (02-18-2021), tberg (02-13-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 04:07 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

Please confirm if heated windshield control and the ability to extinguish error fault messages from the instrument cluster display is lost.

Also, it is available with black trim. I have no idea of the quality of the trim in black. Is it thin black plastic? Maybe someone can confirm.

​​​​​​Further, it has been mentioned the display is poorly engineered as to not be visually readable with polarized sunglasses. Not good for people who wear polarized sunglasses. Can this be confirmed?

Last edited by DGL; 02-13-2021 at 04:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (02-13-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

Amazing work!! Must become a sticky. I am scheduled for my second Moderna Vaccination on 2/18. Plan on getting the install done either the week of 2/22 or 3/1. I will keep everybody up to date on the install. I will be paying particular attention to seat cooling, sirius/xm availability, steering wheel heat control and backup camera functionality as my 13XKR has a built-in backup camera. I do not use Apple gear, but am a devoted Android user with a Galaxy Note 20 5G mobile phone and I use Torque with it. I will keep everybody posted as to the progress and results.

Last edited by ralphwg; 02-13-2021 at 05:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ralphwg:
Sean W (02-14-2021), tberg (02-13-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
Please confirm if heated windshield control and the ability to extinguish error fault messages from the instrument cluster displayis lost................
Absolute MUST HAVE.

ralphwg (02-13-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

I don't have the heated windshield, but will look for error fault messages.

DGL (02-13-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 05:26 PM
GGG
Received 16,756 Likes on 12,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
I'm hoping to consolidate most relevant information on the Tesla Style screen replacement. There are currently 3 active threads on this. .....
Excellent compilation.

Added to XK/XKR - 'How To' / DIY Repair & Maintenance sticky in Section 12 - UPGRADES:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...enance-227403/

Graham

The following 8 users liked this post by GGG:
arenaej (02-13-2021), DGL (02-13-2021), indyx358 (04-11-2024), kj07xk (02-13-2021), peterv8 (02-14-2021), ralphwg (02-13-2021), Sean W (02-13-2021), somenavyguy (02-18-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-14-2021, 03:23 AM
Received 227 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
The original head unit had a speaker for the parking sensor so I installed a separate small speaker and tucked it behind otherwise you have no audio feedback for the sensors .
Didn't know that. Can anyone help me with that? Which part is an OEM parking sensor speaker and how to maintain it with a big screen?

One more question - big screen uses own microphone so the OEM one built-in at A-pillar on a driver side is not needed, correct? Use case - phone calls via Bluetooth.

Last edited by tmich; 02-14-2021 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-14-2021, 04:24 AM
Received 375 Likes on 248 Posts

"The original head unit had a speaker for the parking sensor so I installed a separate small speaker and tucked it behind otherwise you have no audio feedback for the sensors ."

My parking sensors gave sound thru the OEM stereo, front sensors I hear thru the front speakers, rear sensors thru rear speakers!? Haven't testet if I have sound thru the android unit but I expect it will.
Very strange you have a separate speaker, aren't your parking sensors OEM?

The following 2 users liked this post by peterv8:
DGL (02-14-2021), somenavyguy (02-22-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Amazing work!! Must become a sticky. I am scheduled for my second Moderna Vaccination on 2/18. Plan on getting the install done either the week of 2/22 or 3/1. I will keep everybody up to date on the install. I will be paying particular attention to seat cooling, sirius/xm availability, steering wheel heat control and backup camera functionality as my 13XKR has a built-in backup camera. I do not use Apple gear, but am a devoted Android user with a Galaxy Note 20 5G mobile phone and I use Torque with it. I will keep everybody posted as to the progress and results.
Don’t forget the FAKRA to RCA adapter for the camera. Will be interested to see how LIN bus is handled on the new unit (camera guide lines with input from steering angle sensor).

DGL (02-14-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 01:03 PM
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Excellent thread for this install! Thank you!

Great job on this thread! This is one of the most detailed I've read on this type of installation. I ordered the same from AliExpress, but I'm not advocating for them by any means. Shortly after it was delivered I experienced a health issue that precluded me from installing it. After surgery, some healing time, and physical therapy I attempted an install, but I physically couldn't do it. I hope to tackle it soon. Based on my first attempt I have a few questions I'm hoping you or someone can assist with:

1. I believe the OEM climate control connector plugs into the back of the wood-burl trim of the purchased unit and is also the switch for the emergency turn signals. It didn't seem to just snap in place with the plug from the purchased radio. In the video it appeared they bent the white plastic piece of the purchased radio to make it fit onto the OEM plug. I did the same thing and it seemed to work but wouldn't stay connected. Did you zip-tie or tape it to secure the connection? The climate controls didn't seem to work, but the emergency turn signals did.
2. I couldn't get any audio from the speakers. I'm not sure what the red-white RCA plugs on the purchased unit connect to. I didn't see any behind the OEM head unit when I removed it. I have the Bowers-Wilkins sound system, and the dealership installed the Audio Control Module (ACM) for me a few years back. Are there RCA plugs coming from the ACM unit that I need to use? Also, the purchased unit came with a separate audio filter that has those plugs; not sure where this filter goes.
3. Did you have to train the purchased radio to function properly with the steering wheel controls? I'm assuming steering wheel controls work inherently on the purchased radio, but I did see Key1 and Key2 wires for that purpose. Did you have to use these?

I already had a back-up camera installed, so I only had to get the yellow RCA plug from the trunk to the one on the purchased radio. Worked like a charm.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I have a 2007 Jaguar XK base model convertible with a 4.2L engine. I literally LOVE this ride and hope to get this upgrade installed and working soon.

2007 Jaguar XK base model convertible, 4.2L

The following 3 users liked this post by somenavyguy:
Andrew Priest (03-30-2023), ArtyH55 (04-03-2021), ralphwg (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by somenavyguy
1. I believe the OEM climate control connector plugs into the back of the wood-burl trim of the purchased unit and is also the switch for the emergency turn signals. It didn't seem to just snap in place with the plug from the purchased radio. In the video it appeared they bent the white plastic piece of the purchased radio to make it fit onto the OEM plug. I did the same thing and it seemed to work but wouldn't stay connected. Did you zip-tie or tape it to secure the connection? The climate controls didn't seem to work, but the emergency turn signals did.
There is a small 2 or 4 pin connector from the unit that plugs into the bottom of the burl wood and that's for the flashers. I've forgotten what the white plug operates but yes, you bend back the white plastic and make sure you connect the wires as shown in the video. Black wire to black wire if I recall the demo. Mine was a snug fit but it wasn't initially and I realized I was off alignment by one pin. Then yes a zip tie or electrical tape will hold it in place.
2. I couldn't get any audio from the speakers. I'm not sure what the red-white RCA plugs on the purchased unit connect to. I didn't see any behind the OEM head unit when I removed it. I have the Bowers-Wilkins sound system, and the dealership installed the Audio Control Module (ACM) for me a few years back. Are there RCA plugs coming from the ACM unit that I need to use? Also, the purchased unit came with a separate audio filter that has those plugs; not sure where this filter goes.
Maybe Loudhogrider can answer this one. He had an ACM installed as well. He also had issues getting sound - see here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...6/#post2323785
you can work your way backwards on that thread to see what he tried. There is more detail in that very long thread but it's worth a read before posting here as this thread will get just as long:-)
3. Did you have to train the purchased radio to function properly with the steering wheel controls? I'm assuming steering wheel controls work inherently on the purchased radio, but I did see Key1 and Key2 wires for that purpose. Did you have to use these?
no steering wheel training needed - see Luke Martin's notes embedded in this thread above. Plug and play. I didn't use the key 1 or key 2 wires.

Last edited by Sean W; 02-18-2021 at 04:25 PM.
ralphwg (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 10:15 PM

Sean W thank you for the quick reply. I've read through all of the threads you posted, especially from Loudhogrider. Great job from everyone that provided their installation experiences. I suspect since I couldn't find RCA audio connectors (red-white) behind the OEM head unit that I'll have to tap the new radio's speaker wires into the OEM harness as peterv8 did. I'll loet you know how it turns out when I get it installed. It may be a while... gotta get healthy first. Thanks again for your help.

Old 02-19-2021, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member

Sean W thank you for the quick reply. I've read through all of the threads you posted, especially from Loudhogrider. Great job from everyone that provided their installation experiences. I suspect since I couldn't find RCA audio connectors (red-white) behind the OEM head unit that I'll have to tap the new radio's speaker wires into the OEM harness as peterv8 did. I'll loet you know how it turns out when I get it installed. It may be a while... gotta get healthy first. Thanks again for your help.
Well then dammit, get healthy! Ok seriously, I hope you're well soon. Going forward, best to add to the old thread so we can keep this open for questions about remaining unknown functionality or this thread will be too long. You can feel free to PM me too. I don't know much but will help where I can. The RCA connectors that are coming out of the blue box (#7), plug into The RCA cables pictured (#8) below. There are no OEM RCA connectors behind the center stack:

somenavyguy (02-19-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 10:14 AM

Thanks again for the quick reply. That's good to know about the RCA connectors. I thought I was missing something here. I think you meant the RCA connectors in #7 plug into those in #9 since #8 is listed is a USB connector. No worries. From all of the reading I did yesterday I have a few leads now for getting sound, starting with the simple: check to see if the amp fuse is blown, check to see if the "Loudness" option on the new head unit is turned down all the way, and hard wire the speaker wires since I don't have a premium sound system (at least I don't think I do... I don't have a sub-woofer? and not sure how to tell one way or the other). BTW: I broke my wrist on my dominant hand, had surgery, and am now in physical therapy. It's all good and I hope to back functional enough in March to get this install done.

I have to say I've owned my '07 XK convertible since March of 2015 and I just found out about this forum. Glad I joined up; you guys are awesome! I hope one day to be able to contribute more.

peterv8 (02-21-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

My wife needs a new dishwasher. I need a new laptop. But I'm REALLY tempted to postpone both and buy one of these.

The following 2 users liked this post by Reverend Sam:
lalavfr (01-31-2024), peterv8 (02-27-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
My wife needs a new dishwasher. I need a new laptop. But I'm REALLY tempted to postpone both and buy one of these.
?????? The dishwasher needs a new dishwasher??? Weird. Or cool, if you move to Utah.

Old 02-26-2021, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
?????? The dishwasher needs a new dishwasher??? Weird. Or cool, if you move to Utah.

I also want to upgrade my supercharge pully, install a Mina exhaust, fix the curb rash on my rimz,..

Choices, choices...

Old 02-26-2021, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member

Guess what!!! My dishwasher says she doesn't need a new dishwasher! She says I'M the one who wants a new dishwasher because it doesn't match the rest of the appliances!

So I'm going to order me a new head unit!

If the dishwasher doesn't want a dishwasher, then neither do I!

007XKR (03-01-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Guess what!!! My dishwasher says she doesn't need a new dishwasher! She says I'M the one who wants a new dishwasher because it doesn't match the rest of the appliances!

So I'm going to order me a new head unit!

If the dishwasher doesn't want a dishwasher, then neither do I!
I was going to say something totally different..............
A new dishwasher may have a higher income than the current one. That'd be a HUGE bonus!
But regardless... Cool on the purchase!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tesla Style Head Unit for X150