Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Test drove a 2009 AM DBS...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts
Default Test drove a 2009 AM DBS...

The sales guy went with me...he drove the DBS to a point and we swapped out. When we got back we did the same thing with my XKR.

The DBS was black with what is called an Obsidian black interior...basically the exact same color as my interior.

His opinion of my XKR was that it was very refined and had more power than he expected. It was very comfortable and quiet in the cabin.

Both the DBS and the XKR have 510HP, but the DBS is a 6 speed manual. The Aston is normally aspirated, and generates its power from displacement only (as we know). The throttle response in the DBS was massively better than my XKR, even though it supposedly generates 40 ft-lbs less torque, at a higher RPM. When I got on the interstate and floored the DBS, it put me in the back of the seat hard. DBS ride was comfortable cruising but took some corners very hard. The exhaust was loud and intoxicating even with the windows up. Louder when accelerating, very nice when cruising. The XKR (or an XKR-S) exhaust does not compare in anyway. This is my opinion based on driving both.

The DBS is 200 to 300 lbs less in weight, but "feels" more "substantial" than the XKR. Fit and finish in the DBS was excellent and it "felt" like an expensive car. The interior of my XKR is nice and has a closer "feel", but not quite there. There is no pretense of rear seats in the DBS.

The biggest difference, which the salesguy even agreed with, was the difference in "sensation" of speed in the two. At one point in the drive I floored the DBS and after a few seconds it felt like I was going pretty fast - I looked at the speedometer and speed/readout was 87MPH. I did the same thing in my XKR and we were doing close to 100MPH and still did not "feel" like it was extremely fast. I guess because of the hard acceleration in the DBS it gives that faster sensation.

I am driving a hard price on my car and the DBS. If we meet at a number I will trade my XKR for the DBS.

The following 5 users liked this post by rscultho:
bobdr1 (03-25-2014), Lothar52 (03-23-2014), mosesbotbol (03-23-2014), Stormdk (03-23-2014), weisberg (04-04-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

You let somebody drive your XKR????

I would love to have a DBS with a 6 speed manual. Having a manual adds so much to the thrill of driving.

Are DBS's reliable? I've heard that they can be a challenge because of their handbuilt nature.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I like your post, keep the details coming!

That's a trade I would want to do too.

I really miss a manual. My mechanic does some work on Aston's, but mostly older models. The Aston dealer is 4 miles from my house; probably a $40 an hour difference between the two's shop rates.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
You let somebody drive your XKR????

I would love to have a DBS with a 6 speed manual. Having a manual adds so much to the thrill of driving.

Are DBS's reliable? I've heard that they can be a challenge because of their handbuilt nature.
Well, I wanted the guy to drive it for a couple reason. One was he would see and experience the car and what good shape it was in for both appearance and performance. I hope that helps with getting a good trade in value. Secondly I wanted him to tell me his opinion of the difference between the two.

From my research the DBS is a very reliable car. Some of them had issues with clutch friction plates needing to be replaced earlier than usual, which was the case with this particular DBS. The salesguy showed me the paperwork of the clutch having been replaced under factory warranty just before it was traded to them two months ago.

The DBS is a one owner, and the guy that traded it got a new Vanquish!!!!

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (03-23-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
The DBS is a one owner, and the guy that traded it got a new Vanquish!!!!

HOLY JEEBS!!! That is a very ritzy fellow . I am quite content owning the XKR and XKR-S. Why? I cant stand manual's...but thats because im LAZY and just like flipping through the paddle shifters if I need it to kick up a notch.

I was driving the XKR today to work. Noted 10400 miles when I got her, and 12600 miles now 6 months later. Its a good 100miles back and forth to work in one day. Basically at 70-80mph freeway straight shot for 1.5hrs. I am thinking the miles on this beauty will rack up rather quickly. So I started thinking... Its why I bought the XKR while having the XKR-S for special drives and shows... OK... I wonder just how many miles an XKR has ever been driven to from the current 2006 era. Anybody know? Id be willing to keep the XKR going for at least 500,000 miles....make that a million - Id donate it to Jaguar so they can show just how far their cars can be driven. That might take 50 yrs? I will be 87 haha.... ok so I need to take her out to California and back a few times so the car doesnt outlast me.

Loth

Old 03-23-2014, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar52
HOLY JEEBS!!! That is a very ritzy fellow . I am quite content owning the XKR and XKR-S. Why? I cant stand manual's...but thats because im LAZY and just like flipping through the paddle shifters if I need it to kick up a notch.

I was driving the XKR today to work. Noted 10400 miles when I got her, and 12600 miles now 6 months later. Its a good 100miles back and forth to work in one day. Basically at 70-80mph freeway straight shot for 1.5hrs. I am thinking the miles on this beauty will rack up rather quickly. So I started thinking... Its why I bought the XKR while having the XKR-S for special drives and shows... OK... I wonder just how many miles an XKR has ever been driven to from the current 2006 era. Anybody know? Id be willing to keep the XKR going for at least 500,000 miles....make that a million - Id donate it to Jaguar so they can show just how far their cars can be driven. That might take 50 yrs? I will be 87 haha.... ok so I need to take her out to California and back a few times so the car doesnt outlast me.

Loth
You've got a lot of driving to do then. We bought my wife's Volvo 740 new in 1989. After 25 years it has 340,000 miles on it with original drive train . So good luck .

Lothar52 (03-23-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

The Aston Martin DBS looks absolutely AWESOME. Love the look from the rear end, and the interior looks magnificent. V12 on top of it all, and 6 speed.

This would be the ultimate driving machine for sure. Your fortunate that you live in an area where cars like this can be considered for purchase as if you need servicing, the dealership is right in your back yard.

Considering the 30,000 mileage for a 2009, whichis considered low mileage, and one owner, looks like you just might be the next James Bond in the Atlanta area.

It is awesome.....hope it works out for you. The brand itself is pure quality and prestige.

Used 2009 Aston Martin DBS For Sale | Atlanta GA

You only live once. Go for it if you can strike the right deal.

So many people can only dream about owning an AM, yet driving one of these premier automobiles.

The following 2 users liked this post by richzak:
Lothar52 (03-23-2014), rscultho (03-23-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
You've got a lot of driving to do then. We bought my wife's Volvo 740 new in 1989. After 25 years it has 340,000 miles on it with original drive train . So good luck .
Your probably right. 300,000 is a better goal then 1 million

Loth

Old 03-23-2014, 10:00 AM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Good write-up, thanks. Interesting comments on throttle response... I find my throttle to be a bit over-sensitive when in sport/competition mode (XKR-S), and often traction is the limiting factor in acceleration.

The Aston has extra cachet, certainly. I'd love to own one someday. Good luck on the deal, and post pics if you make the switch!

Rich

Old 03-23-2014, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

So what I want to know is how did the sound compare? Which sounds more awesome???

Old 03-23-2014, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

So what I want to know is how did the sound compare? Which sounds more awesome???
Try this.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

Ha ha. Well, I'll tell you this. When the wife and I were on the lot looking at a new Vanquish, the salesguy walked up about 30 feet where the DBS was parked to pull it down for us to drive and look at. When he started it up we both looked at each other and said"wow". It was loud that far away. The sound taps many emotions. And when you see the car with the sound...yea, you just think 007 and badass, but you are wearing a 20K Tux.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
The Aston Martin DBS looks absolutely AWESOME. Love the look from the rear end, and the interior looks magnificent. V12 on top of it all, and 6 speed.

This would be the ultimate driving machine for sure. Your fortunate that you live in an area where cars like this can be considered for purchase as if you need servicing, the dealership is right in your back yard.

Considering the 30,000 mileage for a 2009, whichis considered low mileage, and one owner, looks like you just might be the next James Bond in the Atlanta area.

It is awesome.....hope it works out for you. The brand itself is pure quality and prestige.

Used 2009 Aston Martin DBS For Sale | Atlanta GA

You only live once. Go for it if you can strike the right deal.

So many people can only dream about owning an AM, yet driving one of these premier automobiles.
Yes, that's the one I am negotiating price on. If you want it before me, you'd better call soon!!

Old 03-23-2014, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rscultho
Yes, that's the one I am negotiating price on. If you want it before me, you'd better call soon!!
Rodney:

I would have to be back on the street corner selling pens for $1.00 each. It would take me some time to get that kind of dinero.

I could only dream about owning one of these beauties. I sincerely hope that you can work out the deal.

And as for the $20k tux, I am sure there is a Men's Warehouse store near you that you can rent one for a least one night.

Since the wife was with you when looking at the car, and you get to buy the AM, you know you will have to take her out for the extrodinary dinner, dressed to the best, her in her best dress and jewelry, you in the tux, and of course somewhere where there is valet parking. What more could you ask for.

I guarantee owning the AM, will make you feel like your Bill Gates or Warren Buffet.

Dealership is closed today......take another ride over and spend some quality time, just looking at it. Just you and your wife.......I am sure you will end up adopting it.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:41 PM
Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

That's a beautiful car---and it's right down the street from where I went to high school in the last century! Of course in those days it was '69 Z-28's hemi cuda's and the like. Roswell Rd. was for drag races along with GA. 400 before it was open and of course Riverside Dr. was for road racing which I enjoyed a lot more in my '67 MGB with a Weslake racing head.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

When I was shopping for cars last year, I did look hard at Aston - the problem I had was that I would have been buying a car 4 years older than the XKRs I was considering (which were 2-3 years old). So that means a 6-7 year-old car, which brings you into the age where maintenance becomes more vigorous - and Aston maintenance is EXPENSIVE.

If I was able to afford younger cars, the Astons would have been more attractive, though the maintenance costs would still be a worry.

scm (03-29-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member

I have a local mechanic that has his own shop that does my non-warranty car/Jag work. He knows these kinds of cars inside and out. There's very little they can do that he can't.

So, I have that covered from a service/maintenance perspective...

Old 03-23-2014, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

That DBS posted is all that! Wow. I saw one drive down Boylston St. in Boston a few months ago and sound was just incredible. Good luck on your negotiations!

Old 03-23-2014, 03:49 PM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

Here is a tuned 2012 DBS vs. a stock XKR-S. Imagine the XKR-S with a Eurocharged tune and it would be lights out for sure. I looked at a DBS too before I bought my car, but I just couldn't justify the extra $30k+ for an out of warranty car with 5 times the miles of mine. Otherwise, they look great, no doubt about that.

I noticed that car is a 2 + 0 configuration. Personally if I wanted a 2 seater I would be looking at a F-430, R8 V10, or Gallardo.

Good luck with your decision, post some pics of whatever you get!

Last edited by Matt in Houston; 03-23-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Matt in Houston
Here is a tuned 2012 DBS vs. a stock XKR-S. Imagine the XKR-S with a Eurocharged tune and it would be lights out for sure. I looked at a DBS too before I bought my car, but I just couldn't justify the extra $30k+ for an out of warranty car with 5 times the miles of mine. Otherwise, they look great, no doubt about that.
2013 Jaguar XKR-S vs 2012 Aston Martin DBS - YouTube
I noticed that car is a 2 + 0 configuration. Personally if I wanted a 2 seater I would be looking at a F-430, R8 V10, or Gallardo.
Good luck with your decision, post some pics of whatever you get!
I am not too sure what this video proves other than 2 cars racing down a public road/highway at ridiculous high speeds and being very dangerous. At those speeds neither driver could possibly control the cars with any slight mistake.

Best comparison would be on a controlled environment, such as a road track, with professional drivers and data acquistion or telemetry on board.

I think the key to getting the Aston Martin DBS, is the final deal where the buyer feels comfortable closing the transaction. After all, it's his hard earned money.

Quick Reply: Test drove a 2009 AM DBS...