XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Thinking about a 2010 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thinking about a 2010 XKR

Hello!

So my last car just got lemon lawed (boo), and I'm looking for a replacement. I'm very interesting in an XKR, especially after driving a 2010 last week! I just wanted to get a little more information before I take the plunge.

- I'm looking at a 2010 XKR coupe with a few thousand miles on, but I'd be buying it and having it shipped here. Anything in particular I should ask about? Any specific pictures I should ask for to check?

- Is the new 5L engine proving fairly reliable? I had heard good things about the 4.2, but couldn't find much info about the new engine.

- What are running costs like? How much can I expect to pay for early services?

Any other thoughts or information very much appreciated!

Old 06-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How close is your nearest Jaguar dealer? I ask because I really didn't dig that deep into my pre-purchase decision. Turns out I've had to take my pre-owned 08 to the dealer 3 times (a fourth is scheduled when the parts arrive) and it has cost me many hours of vacation time.

My dealer is 40+ miles away, on the St Louis side of the Mississippi River forcing me to drive through St Louis. It takes about 1.5 hours each way plus anytime spent at the dealer and securing a loaner car. This is my first import and I was used to having dealers within 10 miles from my house

The rest of your questions will most likely be answered by other more knowledgable members.

Good luck

Tom

Old 06-11-2011, 03:28 PM

Dealer distance is a good point. Luckily my nearest Jag dealer is only about 20 mins away, and close to where I work. This is better than my old car (a Lotus) which was about 40 mins!

Old 06-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

It is difficult to quantify your expected costs. Most of the people here appears to have cars that were purchased with solid warranties. While my last '05 XK was 100 percent trouble free for my 3 years of ownership, you would be taking a big bet if you expected such. Seem like that Jaguar quality is once again in decline, following a Ford ownership period where it enjoyed a brief set of high reliability ratings. My '08 has been to the dealer twice within my 3 months of ownership with minor problems and, is going back again next week with exhaust sound complaints.

Not sure if you want the dealer to do your services or an independent shop or DIY? Note that the 5.0 liter engine requires a dealer visit for oil change. With such visits the costs are always seem to escalate. My dealer quoted me $210/hour labor charges. Over $1200 for a 4 wheel alignment. I have not spent a penny yet, given my warranties and having my own alignment setup. I also do all my regular maintenance for fractions of the dealer's prices. To be truthful, I have 3+ years of factory warranty left. Once it expires I will likely get an other car.

My suggestion is that you purchase a 2010 with its full remaining warranties and free maintenance. You may have to pay more over the mentioned car that you ship from somewhere but, you will have the peace of mind.

Albert

Old 06-11-2011, 06:40 PM

Thanks for the info axr6. I would probably be taking it to a dealer for services. I spoke to the dealer today who has the car I'm interested in, and the warranty runs out in June 2015, so that is 4 years of warranty, which is certainly welcome! Do you know if the 'free maintenance' last for the whole period as well? That certainly is a nice feature anyway.

My last car (the Lotus) had all its problems fixed under warranty, but it was still very frustrating to have it off the road for 3 months out of the year I owned it Hoping to avoid a repeat performance, but also don't want a Honda Civic!

Old 06-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

While we are enjoying our 08 XK vert, I was surprised to discover the length of time it takes to get parts from mother England. It took over 2 weeks to get a new head light assembly and so far it's going on 5 weeks for a new drivers door panel. And I still haven't mentioned the steering wheel heater not working, but then maybe I'l get a new steering wheel out of the hassle.

I don't know if this is normal or abnormal, but my fear is what happens should I need a part not in stock and the car is inoperable? It sort of was with the bad headlight (I couldn't drive at night).

My warranty expires this Nov and I will definitely be buying an extended warranty and hope I've "de-bugged" the car under the factory warranty.

Tom

Old 06-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts

I'd go for an extended warranty. Peace of mind and its easier to sell a car under warranty than without. I just picked up a 5 year 60k for my 07 XK coupe.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by DigSquid
axr6- Do you know if the 'free maintenance' last for thehole period as well? That certainly is a nice feature anyway.
I believe now that I was incorrect in saying that the 2010 had a maintenance warranty. It is the 2011 model year that carries such warranty. My '05 had it but, apparently Jaguar skipped the 2007-2010 models with maintenance.