XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tint or No Tint?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Tint or No Tint?

How many of you guys have tinted your car? The dealer had already tinted my 11 Black XKR. But interestingly my last Z4M Coupe I also bought new and never tinted. And if they wouldn't have already done this one I probably would have left it alone too.

Even though a few years ago I always tinted my cars along with suspension, wheels, exhaust (which I will still be doing).

What is your personal preference regarding tint?

Old 04-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

No tint

Old 04-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,139 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Evoking, since you're in Texas IMHO it makes good sense to tint - I think that's why the dealer did it. It's not a matter of aesthetics; it is simply being practical by keeping the interior a bit cooler, especially if your interior is black.

Since you can't legally tint the entire windshield, I strongly recommend using an aluminized folding sun reflector to keep the direct sun off your leather dashboard when parked. Some XK/XKR owners have complained in this forum about their dashboard leather shrinking from the hot sun. It's also a good idea to apply leather conditioner monthly to the dash to keep it from drying out and shrinking, as well as all the other leather surfaces.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

I have a light tint and use a folding sun reflector on my X300 here in sunny Florida, but I really prefer no tint on the XJs

Old 04-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think black cars require dark tint to look finished. Lighter cars can go either way. Tinting was the first thing I did when I picked my car up.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

I live in central Fl and up until 5 years ago had never had tinted windows. Well let me tell you, it makes one hell of a difference. Additionally, I prefer tones of gray paint on my cars for several reasons and tinted windows on gray to black cars IMHO do enhance the appearance. A lot!

If you really have a strong objection to the look the window tinting can be removed but it is not an easy job. At least that's what a local tint shop told me.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:31 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Feh -- doesn't matter where you live, the tint really helps keep glare and temps down. I tint mine even though I'm in Seattle. Mind you, keep an eye on two things: what is legal in your state, and what you really want to have. Initially I had the Jag tinted to 20% and it was too dark for me... especially in night driving. So I went to 30% instead. Much better, and bonus is that it's the legal limit here in Washington.

Any side benefits of it looks better are just a cheerful happenstance! All of my passenger cars previously I had done at 30 to 35, and the Jag was the first car I tried darker though. Obviously, YMMV with how bright your state is and your personal preferences!

Old 05-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I had my white XJS tinted and I really like it. I spend every other week end in the desert here in So Cal and it makes a big difference. I went with a light tint so as not to attract as much attention from the CHP or city cops, so far no problem. I also use a reflective sunscreen to protect the dash. Quite a bit cooler!

Old 05-03-2012, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I'd tint it, just because it is much more comfortable in the sun. Don't go crazy, though. I wouldn't tint more dark than 35%. It goes from classy to trashy.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Add on question as I will be tinting my sliver XK this summer. How badly does the rear vision on a coupe get distorted? I know it will have an effect thanks to the steap rake of the back glass, but does it really "waver" the view enough to be annoying?

thanks,
Vince

BTW OP, I vote for tint... especially down south....

Old 05-03-2012, 11:03 AM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I used to tint my windows years ago when the AC systems in cars (especially 80's 911's/turbo's) were not so good (I live in S FL) but now I don't.

However, if your car needs to be parked outside during the day some light tint and a winshield sunscreen makes sense to protect the interior and keep it cooler.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Tinting is a nightmare for parking after dark.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Gonna get mine tinted in a couple weeks. Has anyone in the Atlanta area used Oasis Tinting? They got pretty good reviews from customers.

They've quoted me a price of $350 for everything which includes the tint that has the ceramic layer and lifetime warranty.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
Tinting is a nightmare for parking after dark.
I agree. Even when I tinted to about 35% it was still too dark at night to park easily. I wouldn't go darker than that unless you are a gangsta.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:28 AM
Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
Add on question as I will be tinting my sliver XK this summer. How badly does the rear vision on a coupe get distorted? I know it will have an effect thanks to the steap rake of the back glass, but does it really "waver" the view enough to be annoying?

thanks,
Vince

BTW OP, I vote for tint... especially down south....
I have 35% on mine, I guess it depends on how easily annoyed you get. There is definitely a bit of distortion... its not enough to bother me but that kind of thing is so subjective I hate to say "ah no big deal". Its definitely there though...

Old 05-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

I love the metallic tint, but Jag says not to use it because of NAV. Has anyone installed metallic tint on their XK?

Old 05-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I love the metallic tint, but Jag says not to use it because of NAV. Has anyone installed metallic tint on their XK?
Most shops don't recommend it.. It messes with your cell phone too...
I think you will find it illegal in many states as well....

Vince

Old 05-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CleverName
Most shops don't recommend it.. It messes with your cell phone too...
I think you will find it illegal in many states as well....

Vince
Sure looks the coolest though!

Old 05-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Evoking/others, Light transmission is definitely a matter of personal preference. So is metallic -vs- ceramic, but the reception thing is real. The radio reception already needs all the help it can get; I'd stay away from metallic if you can avoid it. You may be able to get the same look, but it may cost $100 more to be ceramic. My position: I don't like a dark look and the nicer the car (which these qualify as), the cleaner and more complementary the look needs to be. But mine is a Lunar Grey car. I went with Suntek ceramic 55% all around (including the windshield). With black leather, small windows, and the windsheild also tinted -- it looks more like 45%.

Rscultho, I can vouch for and give very high marks for Oasis - they did my '99 twelve years ago and it still looks great. I just had them do my XKR and it's top quality. Sundown, Andy, and Clark are top notch - you;re in good hands. But the they don't carry 4 different brands, from what I can tell. If you're looking at 3M or other film, you may have to elsewhere. BTW, finally got back to ATL last night.

CleverName, I too was concerned about distortion on a steeply raked rear window - no distortion that I can see. Be sure to research the film though, as it could differ with the film.

Last edited by bart_redline99; 05-05-2012 at 05:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rscultho (05-05-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

..and because a picture is worth a thousand words:
Tint: Suntek Carbon XP 55% all around (windshield too); Exterior: Lunar Grey; Interior: Black; Photo taken early afternoon on a sunny day, against a white concrete wall.

Attached Thumbnails Tint or No Tint?-img_0340cr.jpg  

Quick Reply: Tint or No Tint?