Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tinted rear windows

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts
Default Tinted rear windows

Has anyone tinted the rear and 2 small rear windows of there xk/xkr coupe, was thinking of it, don't want to go real dark , what is the best for the effect.

Old 04-02-2017, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by powerhouse
Has anyone tinted the rear and 2 small rear windows of there xk/xkr coupe, was thinking of it, don't want to go real dark , what is the best for the effect.
Most every State here in the U.S. has legal limits on how dark you can go so you're going to get a variety of answers from here at least.

As nothing can fit in the rear worth hiding that you can't put in the boot and I don't live in a perpetually hot climate, no tint works for me.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:11 PM
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

I tinted my 07 Coupe...
Here are a couple pics...
All the tint is a dark as I could go legally in FL

Attached Thumbnails Tinted rear windows-20170330_114243_resized.jpg   Tinted rear windows-20170401_183104_resized.jpg   Tinted rear windows-20170401_183136_resized.jpg  

Last edited by jbretthorton; 04-02-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:17 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

For future reference. Tint Laws

Personally, I don't like tint too dark. About 30% is plenty dark enough for me.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,271 Likes on 876 Posts

I did. I went for darkest legal which was fine to see out of. It is best to take the back (side) windows out to have them tinted then slide them back in when it is set. That way you get a perfect job.

We have days at over 35 celsius so tinting all windows save the windscreen is pretty much obligatory here, and I like the look of it, as well as being able to occasionally pick my nose without people pointing and laughing.

The darkness of the tint will depend on the colour of your interior, i.e. if you have ivory seats the tint will look lighter.

Attached Thumbnails Tinted rear windows-screenshot_2016-02-14-13-16-11.png  
Old 04-02-2017, 09:37 PM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

All of mine are tinted and they look great.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:22 AM
Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Tinted my rear window one shade under the darkest available tint and my sides the lightest. My car is liquid silver so the contrast is still quite noticeable. I did not want my side windows to look overly dark as side window tinting is illegal in British Columbia. Its been about 3 years and so far I have not received a ticket - albeit the tint is noticeable. I am quite happy with the look…….I did remove my rear side windows to have them tinted.

Last edited by Fstbmw1; 04-03-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:09 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Tinted 30% all sides all windows..

Old 04-03-2017, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fstbmw1
Tinted my rear window one shade under the darkest available tint and my sides the lightest. My car is liquid silver so the contrast is still quite noticeable. I did not want my side windows to look overly dark as side window tinting is illegal in British Columbia. Its been about 3 years and so far I have not received a ticket - albeit the tint is noticeable. I am quite happy with the look…….I did remove my rear side windows to have them tinted.
What's the step by step removal of the side windows.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member

It's easy. You pull the rubber trim (where they meet the driver's door) away which exposes a fixing bolt at the bottom. You then undo that bolt, usually dropping it into the side of the car in the process, never to be seen again (but dont worry, it isnt really needed as the windows fit very tightly in the rubber). Then you slide the window out.

When the window is out you get much more Jaggy noise in the car - it is awesome. I didnt want to put them back.

The following users liked this post:
powerhouse (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
It's easy. You pull the rubber trim (where they meet the driver's door) away which exposes a fixing bolt at the bottom. You then undo that bolt, usually dropping it into the side of the car in the process, never to be seen again (but dont worry, it isnt really needed as the windows fit very tightly in the rubber). Then you slide the window out.

When the window is out you get much more Jaggy noise in the car - it is awesome. I didnt want to put them back.
Is there any issues when putting the glass back in like water leakage

Old 04-03-2017, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member

None at all. The glass slides in to a groove which is really tight - that is one of the reasons why it is so hard to tint with the glass in place. I had mine tinted as soon as I had the car - they tried tinting with the glass in and it was completely rooted, so I found a thread back then (probably November/December 2013) talking about removing the glass so I pulled it out (I'm all thumbs, so if I can do it you can) and took them back to be redone.

I left the windows out in the sun for a few days after the car was tinted for the bond to set well then slid them in - you have to make sure they go all the way to the back and get really wedged into the rubber sleeve. You dont need to put the bolt back in - it is a bit of a mission anyway.

I had the car for over 2 years and never had any leakage. I used to wash it with a power sprayer, too - so if it was going to leak, it would have. You wait until you hear the car with the windows out - you'll never want them back in. It is a crying shame that jag doesnt put wind down rear windows in the coupes.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:30 PM
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn't got to the trouble of removing any of your windows. A window tinter that knows his trade well, will do a job that looks as good as if you removed the glass.

I agree, 30-35% on the tint will look really great! Good luck on your project. And, tint 'em all the same color.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:49 PM
Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail

As above…. once you locate the bolt, (I think it was an 8 or 10mm) you will have to give it a bit of a tug and it slides out. The application of the tint with the windows out will produce a much better result. No leakage.