Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tinting a convertible's windows?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,156 Likes on 3,089 Posts

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
You just described my exact nightmare of a commute between Santa Monica and Porter Ranch. Your advice may just change my life.
Originally Posted by pk4144
Santa Monica to PORTER RANCH?? Every day???
Whatever you're doing there... it's not worth it.
25 miles on the 405. Doesn't seem so bad. What, about an hour in traffic? (I say this as a retired guy who hasn't commuted in ten years...)

Old 04-11-2017, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by lespaul
Love tinted windows, cant pass safety inspection
For CA drivers, this is what was explained by my tint guy (as I remember it):

In CA, it's legal to tint the rear and rear-side windows as dark as you like. (Technically, those little side-quarter windows can go really dark, but I've seen it and it looks ghetto, my opinion, if it's not the same shade as the main side window.)

The front side windows can legally go to 30% tint (70% of light gets through). That's so light it's hard to even notice. I went one shade darker (which I think was 40% on the sides), and one add'l shade darker (55%?) in the rear. As I said earlier, I love the look. I once drove a car in LA that had like 60% all around... at night. Not a fun experience-- so I'm not on the limo-dark team anyway.

In my experience, this is not part of what's checked when we get the every-other-year smog, so you're good there.

As my guy pointed out, since the sides look lighter than the rear, and it's not that dark, you could make the case that it's the factory tint on the sides and you only had the rear done, and most cops would buy that, especially on a jag.

Or if you get pulled over you can simply roll your window down before the cop gets there....

Last edited by pk4144; 04-11-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

BSurprisingly hard to get a shot that gives you the feel of my side tint. This is the best I got.