XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Top Problem Old Man needs help !!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 07:03 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Top Problem Old Man needs help !!

Guess my age is now getting the best of me !!
The top on my 2011 xkr is not working. The battery went dead and I recharged the battery but now the top is inop.
Neither the top nor the rear 1/4 windows will raise.
Thought I followed the window reset but that did not work either.
Could use some step by step instructions on how to get the top working again. The shelf in the trunk is in the correct position.
I've tried coercing by letting my 2011 know that I would be taking my 02 on date night but that didn't work.
I've also tried having some booze while sitting next to the vehicle. Tried nice names and bad !! Still no cooperation.
Request assistance from you guys and gals.\
Ken in WV by Golly

Old 07-27-2018, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Steve (white xkr) will probably be around soon and say wassup. He's the expert on these tops.
ANYWAY, until then, have you reset/programmed your Front windows??? Not doing so could cause the top to not operate.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,144 Likes on 3,385 Posts
Old 07-27-2018, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member

Ken,
I've gotten better with age, and so should you! You've been a Forum member for almost 5 years. Answers to your question were already posted; you just have to find them. You can use Google or the Forum's Advanced Search function.

Think young, or you'll get old before your time! Age is a state of mind, and is mind over matter. If she doesn't mind, it doesn't matter!

Stuart

Old 07-27-2018, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by kenatofc
Neither the top nor the rear 1/4 windows will raise.

Ken in WV by Golly
Ken...First, can you clarify what position the top is currently in. Is it closed or open?

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
Cee Jay (07-27-2018), ralphwg (07-27-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 12:13 PM

Hello to all !!
Stuart, you are exactly correct, age is just a number and not a condition. On the other hand, I've "aged" more in the past 4 years than I would have liked. Won't lay out my "medical mishaps" problems except this Damn Sciatica (on both sides thank you). Think my frame needs some work !! When in Branson, MO in May we had a reunion of sorts of guys in the unit from Vietnam (gun ships) and somehow the conversation did get around to "aging". One of my comrades said it very succinctly when he stated "Don't worry about old age, it doesn't last that long!" He is right on !!

I have searched the various postings to help and have. as stated before, reset the windows according to several suggestions previously made. None of these have proved successful. Have not gone to the hard reset with the battery yet. Will call a Car Club mate to help me getting to it. Have done that before but forgot to check the age of the battery. Also, have to read some of the directions twice to figure out if this particular one said the top is closed (have to ask myself is this up or down?) and same for open !! Having lived in Europe (military stationed there) the Brits have fooled me more than once !! Anyway, just looking to get the top functioning again !
BTW, the top is closed means to me it is up!! and even the back windows do not respond and are retracted into the car. BTW I replaced a faulty control module behind the back seat and it has been working fine until this battery issue ??

Anyone else want to offer a suggestion other than going to a dealer11

Thanks,
Ken in WV By Golly

Old 07-28-2018, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

First, the easiest thing is to remove fuse 'F8' between the rear seats for about 15 seconds and then put it back in. Hold the roof console button for a good minute before giving up. See if that gets the top going.

If that does not work, you need to get out the owner's manual and follow the instructions to manually lower (open) the top. This will reset and resync it and it should work from there.

Old 07-28-2018, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Default Important information for vietnam veterans

Ken,

If your "gun ships" were RPBs (River Patrol Boats, for you youngsters), and not Huey Cobras (Puff, the Magic Dragon helicopters), you'll relate to this photo of me on the Saigon River in 1969:

Now that I have your attention, read this:
IMPORTANT INFORMATION
The Veterans Administration has determined that ALL Vietnam veterans were exposed to Agent Orange ("AO"), a chemical defoliant spray. The VA concluded that AO was a hazardous chemical and is presumed to cause of a variety of medical conditions including, but not limited to, Ischemic Heart Disease, Parkinson's Disease, Hodgkin's Disease, Prostate Cancer, and more. As a result, you (and your spouse) are entitled to tax-free Disability Benefits, without having to prove that your condition was caused by AO. For details, see: https://www.publichealth.va.gov/expo...ge/conditions/
To obtain VA Disability Benefits, you must file an application form:
https://www.benefits.va.gov/COMPENSATION/apply.asp

It should take the VA less than 4 months to process a Fully Developed, Fast-Track AO disability claim form.

My apology for hijacking this thread to spread the word about this important information, as time is running out for many Vietnam veterans. Shame on our government for failing to adequately publicize this valuable benefit. Note that Survivors Benefits may be available for the widow of a deceased Vietnam veteran, even though that veteran never filed for disability benefits.

Stuart

Old 07-28-2018, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

I was five.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

I was in after Korea and before Vietnam. Lucky me.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:21 AM

BTW, Although the NETT (New Equipment Training Team) actually flew the first Cobra in RVN, my platoon (Playboys) 334th AHC was the first to be trained and flew the first assigned missions in RVN. Our unit actually had just about the first of anything for a helicopter and was the first unit to have guns mounted on them in 62. And since you were on the RPBs, you are probably aware of our night attack team with the searchlight and called "Firefly". And many evenings sharing "Mid Rats" at Nha Be (Sp) on the Saigon River.
The "old Man"

'

Old 07-29-2018, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Ken,

I didn't intend my photos to mislead you to conclude that I was Navy. I wasn't. As an Army officer, I made friends with officers in other branches at the OC at the Rex Hotel in downtown Saigon and the RVNAF OC at Tan Son Nhut AFB. We did things together and that was one of those times.

I will never forget the noise of the minigun. It still boggles my mind today, more than 50 years after I attended a demonstration of its big brother, the Vulcan cannon, at the Aberdeen Proving Ground. Although a smaller caliber, a Huey Cobra mounted with 2 miniguns was still terrifying. For you youngsters, that's why it was called Puff, the Magic Dragon. At up to 6,000 rounds per minute, it breathed fire.

Stuart

Old 07-29-2018, 11:05 AM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

I was in the Army in Europe, never got to RVN.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Ken,

I didn't intend my photos to mislead you to conclude that I was Navy. I wasn't. As an Army officer,

Stuart
Stuart, we forgive you.....oh, not for the confused branch of service....but for being an officer.

Personally, I was Airfarce.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member

No offense taken. I tried to join the Air Force to be an astronaut, but they rejected me because I didn't take up space in school.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Thank you all for your service. Getting back to the OP's issue has anything been resolved and if so how?

Old 07-30-2018, 09:03 AM

Interesting comment above regarding a battery running out. I thought that was a problem with mine and had it on for a charge. 2 days into the charge I could not get better than 75%
But it has been starting the car after removing the charging but it will still not go to green on my c-tech. What is minimum state of charge and what amps ??

BTW, when I started in the Army. I was an E-1 and making $78.30 a MONTH, with 3 hots and a cot !!! Made it through OCS and flight schools (fixed and rotary) and retired as a Lieutenant Colonel.

The following users liked this post:
Buzzer (04-24-2020)
Old 07-30-2018, 09:06 AM

BTW, the top is up / closed