XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Touchscreen madness

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 10:11 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Touchscreen madness

2007 Jaguar XK, convertible, 75,000 miles on the odo. Washington DC area.

Another touchscreen thread! I have read through all the touchscreen threads and have not found this issue. My touchscreen starts up to the logo screen, then goes away. Does this continually. Looks like it is trying to boot up, but gets to a point and crashes. First recommendation - bought a new battery! No change. I then brought it into my dealer who diagnosed it as an overheating amplifier. This would cost about $2,500, so I said go ahead and order the part. That was July 25. They said it could take a few weeks for the part to be delivered. OK, not happy, but there was nothing I could do!

Yesterday I called and left a message asking about the status. The service manager called back today and said "the part is on back-order with Jaguar. There is no release date so it might come sooner or later". To add insult to injury, my CEL come on Sunday and my scan tool will not connect. Nav/Radio/HVAC control/Info/settings/ etc. all gone.

Does anyone have a suggestion? I really like the car, but I want it to work.

Thanks to all!

Old 08-27-2014, 04:55 PM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

You need to go a different mechanic(s)....$2500!!!

Good luck, Adrian

The following users liked this post:
jerzxk (08-27-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 07:06 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 717 Posts

Well, without seeing the problem I would argue it is very unlikely that there would be an overheating issue in the few minutes it takes to start a car of the part that's only needed if the sound is on.

As I've stated before, as part of my regular maintenance program I disconnect the battery at the positive terminal, touch the lead to the negative terminal and about an hour or so later connect itall up again. This seems to keep these gremlins away. But as you have changed the battery...

It does sound like an initialization issue. Is there any chance the electrical bus has been 'adjusted'? Out of interest, is there an alpine repair depot in your neighbourhood??

jerzxk (09-05-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

The infotainment system retains a lot of its settings even if the battery is disconnected for a short time (e.g. radio presets). That's why touching the leads together while the battery is disconnected, which shorts out all the capacitors that are maintaining memory state in various modules, is a fairly effective way to reset the car to factory default. Of course, you do then have to carry out the full reset procedure:

1. Connect the battery cables and tighten to 5 Nm. Ground cable must be connected last.
2. Install the battery cover and close the luggage compartment lid.
3. Start the engine and allow to idle until the engine reaches normal operating temperature.
(n.b.: when you first switch on, the display will ask you to press the brake pedal & apply the electronic handbrake, to recalibrate)
4. Switch the engine off.
5. Restart the engine and allow to idle for approximately two minutes (this will allow the ECM to learn the idle values).
6. Apply and hold the brake pedal, select drive and allow the engine to idle for a further two minutes.
7. Drive the vehicle for approximately five miles/eight kilometers of varied driving to enable the ECM to complete it's learning strategy.
8. Reset the audio unit and climate control assembly to original customer settings.
9. Reset the door window motors.
(n.b. store your normal seat positions in M1, then adjust & store any other positions you used to have)

jerzxk (09-05-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 07:28 PM

The XK is back home in the garage. Everything works. I am happy again.

Thanks to Ngarara, those were the first steps I tried, then bought a new battery, when all failed, went to the dealer.

Thanks guy, the dealer indicated that the audio amp had a short that caused the overheating. I'm pretty sure that the short circuit was the culprit and the overheating was a symptom.

The dealer replaced the amp, cooling fan and link-lead. With discounts the cost was under $1,800. The check engine light went away with the repair. Cost included free loaner for 4 days (Land Rovers - the last being a two door Evoque).

The XK is still the best sports GT that I have experienced. I am real happy to have it back!

Ngarara (09-06-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 04:04 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by jerzxk
The XK is back home in the garage. Everything works. I am happy again.

Thanks to Ngarara, those were the first steps I tried, then bought a new battery, when all failed, went to the dealer.

Thanks guy, the dealer indicated that the audio amp had a short that caused the overheating. I'm pretty sure that the short circuit was the culprit and the overheating was a symptom.

The dealer replaced the amp, cooling fan and link-lead. With discounts the cost was under $1,800. The check engine light went away with the repair. Cost included free loaner for 4 days (Land Rovers - the last being a two door Evoque).

The XK is still the best sports GT that I have experienced. I am real happy to have it back!
You are welcome. Cheers!

Old 09-11-2014, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

It's great when everything works! Enjoy your ride!

Old 09-12-2014, 08:11 PM

My hope that the Check Engine Light would go away for a long time didn't come to pass. The day after picking up the car, the CEL reignited. I brought it in and the dealer reset the light. The next morning, it came back so I drove to the dealer and picked up a loaner. They detected a bad Fuel pressure sensor and replaced it (P0193 and P0088).

I called each day for three days and was told that the car was not ready. This morning I called again and was told it was finished so went and picked it up. Seems it was ready the day after I dropped it off but there were communication problems at the dealer that prevented me from knowing it was ready.

It could be fixed now.

Last edited by jerzxk; 09-12-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:51 AM
Veteran Member

Ouch! - sounds like it might be time to look for another dealer, if you have that option. Or a good independent.

Anyway, fingers crossed that this is the last of it, and the car will behave itself from now on.

jerzxk (09-13-2014)
Old 09-14-2014, 05:56 AM
Received 77 Likes on 50 Posts

jerzxk
Don't want to hijack thread, but have a couple of questions about your symptoms.

When you system was "trying to boot" did it ever finish? and act normal.

Was there any lead up?

Mine comes up immediately, then reboots itself for 3-6 times the runs normally the rest of the day. New battery on Ctek charger.

Any other suggestions?

Old 09-14-2014, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

Mine does that reboot occasionally, usually while it's trying to start the iPhone interface. Normally only happens once, but has done it twice in succession on one occasion (in 18 months' ownership).

Old 09-15-2014, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by old_dawg
jerzxk
Don't want to hijack thread, but have a couple of questions about your symptoms.

When you system was "trying to boot" did it ever finish? and act normal.

Was there any lead up?

Mine comes up immediately, then reboots itself for 3-6 times the runs normally the rest of the day. New battery on Ctek charger.

Any other suggestions?
Hi old_dawg,

When the screen kept flashing the Jaguar logo (irregularly), it never finished booting and never acted normally until it was repaired. I had no problems leading to the failure. One day fine, next day - flashing cat.

The dealer had the diagnostic systems and since this is a fairly sophisticated network (MOST - Media Oriented Systems Transport) there is little a shade tree mechanic can do to find and repair the issue. With fiber-optic network connections and specialized connectors, It was way beyond my capabilities.

I looked through internet sites and found an interesting file that covers several models including the X150 (our beloved XKs) that details many of the systems that connect modules and create one large rolling computer. I can't attach it due to it's size (44.6mB). You can search 688-JAG_10-08.pdf or follow this URL: http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Trai...-JAG_10-08.pdf

I hope your issues resolve with minimum hassle!

Jerry

The following 4 users liked this post by jerzxk:
jehart49 (09-16-2014), Ngarara (09-16-2014), old_dawg (09-16-2014), ralphwg (09-16-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member

There's some interesting stuff in that document, e.g.:

Wiper Service Position
The wiper service position allows the wipers to be
parked in a position to allow easy access to the wiper
blades for replacement. The service position is initiated
by pulling the RH steering column multifunction switch
towards the steering wheel and pressing the start/stop
button to switch on the ignition. The wipers will move
and stop in a vertical position on the windshield.
The RH steering column multifunction switch can be
released and the ignition switched off. The service position
is terminated at the next ignition on cycle and the
wipers return to their normal park position.
That's not in the Service Manual.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member

There are a bunch more useful guides here:

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

ralphwg (09-16-2014)