Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

TPMS System Reset procedure question 13MY XK

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 04:22 PM
Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts
Default TPMS System Reset procedure question 13MY XK

I'm trying to use this reset procedure (TYPE A Reset) from the manual:

1. Verify the customer complaint. As much information as possible should be gathered from the driver to assist indiagnosing the cause(s). Confirm which of the following two warning types (A or B) exist for the Tire Pressure
Monitoring System when the ignition status is switched from 'OFF' to 'ON'

 (A) Check Tire Pressure Warnings. A low tire pressure warning will continuously illuminate the low
tire pressure warning lamp. This warning may be accompanied by a text message such as CHECK TIRE
PRESSURE (refer to owner literature). The manufacturer approved diagnostic system does NOT need to
be used. Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) are not generated with this type of warning. To extinguish this warning it is essential that, with the ignition 'ON', all vehicle tires (including the spare) are to be set to the correct pressure as stated in the vehicle handbook or as indicated on the placard label in the passenger/driver door aperture. It is not necessary to drive the vehicle to clear 'check tire pressure' warnings - just changing the tire pressure causes the tire low pressure sensor to transmit new data.

NOTE: The tire pressures should be set by:
 Using a calibrated tire pressure gauge
 With 'cold' tires (vehicle parked in the ambient temperature for at least one hour, not in a garage with an artificial ambient temperature)

NOTE: If the tire pressure warning does not clear within two minutes, it is likely that the gauge is not correctly calibrated or the tires are 'warm'. Carry out the following steps until the warning has cleared:

 Increase the tire pressures by 3psi
 Wait a further two minutes
 When the tires are at ambient temperature and a calibrated gauge is available, reset the tire pressures to the correct pressure.

NOTE: Tire pressure adjustments are part of routine owner maintenance. Tire pressure adjustments that are required due to a lack of owner maintenance are not to be claimed under vehicle warranty.

My questions:
Does the procedure actually work or is it kind of hit or miss until you get them to reset?

I do not have calibrated gauges but i feel they are reasonably accurate, check 3 that I have and they all read the same.

I have the ignition "on", engine "not" running the whole time doing one wheel at a time. Raise the psi +3 psi, waited 2 minutes and reset to normal.

I tried once raising all pressures then waiting 2 minutes and reset pressure to normal and that didn't work at all.

I did raise all tire pressures to 40# once for a couple of days and the alarms stopped but once I lowered them to normal the the alarms came back.

FYI typical it will flash all 4 wheels RF, LF, RR, LR with check pressure message & the "yellow" Tire on the instrument panel.
The yellow tire emblem does not flash for any length (1 minute + to indicate at DTC Code is set) of time just a couple blinks and goes solid.My tires do not have any issues and are losing pressure on a daily pressure.

Is there something I'm doing wrong.

I'm thing the issue is in the control modules not resetting to pick up the reset pressures Fronts 33# and 35# rears.

Im thinking about leaving ignition off raise all 4 tire pressures then turn on ignition, wait the 2 minutes then low the pressures to normal.

I'll probably give the dealer a call next week and see if they will give me and more detailed information.
I'm still on CPO Warranty but trying to resolve myself.

Thanks

The following users liked this post:
Deabs (06-15-2022)
Old 04-01-2018, 05:32 PM
Received 128 Likes on 89 Posts

Perchance did you replace the TPMS modules? Your modules may not have been replaced with the correct frequency units. Just a thought.

Old 04-01-2018, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

How old are the TPMS sensors in the tires. Their battery life is around 5 to 7 years and a weak battery will trigger the light.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:07 PM

Don T & Jagtoes,
All modules and batteries are original to the best of my knowledge.
I have and 08 Ford explorer and it is still the same batteries for what it is worth.
And I have got the warnings to go away with tire pressures at 40#.
Based on that my logic indicates the modules and batteries are good, just not resetting.
Thanks,

Old 04-01-2018, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Originally Posted by djhaydel
................... the modules and batteries are good, just not resetting.
Thanks,
Wouldn't that make them No Good?

Old 04-01-2018, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

[QUOTE=djhaydel;1869289]Don T & Jagtoes,
All modules and batteries are original to the best of my knowledge.
I have and 08 Ford explorer and it is still the same batteries for what it is worth.
And I have got the warnings to go away with tire pressures at 40#.
Based on that my logic indicates the modules and batteries are good, just not resetting.
Thanks,[/QUTE]

I had a problem with my Lexus where my TPMS light triggered and I couldn't get it to reset. I went out and bought a TPMS reader . My Lexus is a 2010. I read all 5 tires and found 1 with a bad sensor (battery dead) and 2 others wit a low battery. Bought and replaced the 1 bad sensor and using the tester reset the car system with it through the OBDII port. Just waiting for the other weak ones to start giving up and then will replace them. The tester I bought was this unit https://www.auteltech.com/TPMS%20Dia...Tool/404.jhtml It also tests your key fob battery . All is done wireless and I now use it to check tire pressures prior to starting my cruising after the winter rest.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:45 AM

I will call dealer and see if they give me any different directions and/or bring the car in for service, I'm still on my CPO warranty.

Thanks everyone

Old 04-03-2018, 02:48 PM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

First verify your tire pressure gauge is accurate, if so, take the car to the dealer and have them reprogram the TPMS module. There is a good chance this will fix the issue.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:49 PM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Today I decided to have my TPMS sensors replaced. I went to one of those tire discount places. The man was very helpful and tested the sensors in each wheel while still on the car. He found that the sensors are working, and that the signals from them are strong. His suggestion was that I take it back to a Jaguar Dealer to have the the TPMS module reprogramed. If anyone has had a Jaguar Dealer perform this service what was the cost? Has anyone reprogramed the TPMS module without taking it back to a Jaguar dealer? If a device is needed, where can I buy a device to do this adjustment?

Deabs (06-15-2022)
Old 04-13-2018, 08:43 AM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

TPMS module re-programming cost me $150.00. No more TPMS warnings since having it done in three weeks and 400 miles.

The following 3 users liked this post by Mufc:
Big Otter (08-30-2018), Deabs (06-15-2022), Rick'sJag (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 09:41 AM

It appears that I have some success with by:

turning on ignition (not running)
Lowering 1 tire pressure at a time till it set an alarm , about 28#.
waiting at least 2 minutes.
Raising each tire back to there set pressure and waiting another 2 minutes.
All of which is done while the ignition is on.

I've only had it out on 2 drive cycles of about 30 minutes each and the the warning have only flashed a couple of times. Significantly less than what the where doing which was almost continuously.

I interrupt this that the everything is working but has not totally reset.

I'm planning on watching it a bit longer since its only been a day or two, I've researched and some times it takes a couple drive cycles. A cycle has to be continuous for at least 15 minutes above 15mph.

Next step will be to go to the dealer but I'm trying to avoid having to bring it in just yet. I have CPO warranty and should be covered.

Rick'sJag (04-13-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 06:42 PM

UPDATE:

After several short and long drives over the last week the TPMS random alarms have stopped.

Whether are not they will alarm with a low pressure (28#) I don't know and rather hesitant about testing.

I like not having those nusom alarms.

I'm old school about checking tire pressure manually anyway.