XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Track days

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Track days

Have a 2010 XK roadster. Thinking of doing some track days at a race track. Wondered if there is any experience out there about tire pressures, brake fluid, whatever. I'm an experienced SCCA racer, but sure not with an automatic..........

Old 04-13-2015, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by ardifan
Have a 2010 XK roadster. Thinking of doing some track days at a race track. Wondered if there is any experience out there about tire pressures, brake fluid, whatever. I'm an experienced SCCA racer, but sure not with an automatic..........
You should have no problems as an experienced SCCA racer. As you already know, tires pressures inflate due to heat from the track, so perhaps reduce tire pressure a few pounds. Be sure check brake fluid levels. Be prepared to eat up brake pads and stress rotors as open track days can take it's toll on a street car vs a real race car, especially the braking systems. Otherwise you should be good to go.

I did 10 years of SCCA in Formula cars myself. Open track days are a blast. Enjoy. You might enjoy my website.

About

There are 5 different pages to this site and can be found at the top of each page.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Ardifan,
I have taken my 2010XKR coupe to the track three times in the year or so that I've had it (and probably going this Thursday to a Hooked on Driving track day). I've taken no special precautions and had no particular problems. However, there are a couple of things I have learned along the way. First, although I started with about 29-30 psi in the tires, at the end of the day all four measured above 41 psi which explained a lot about the squealing and squirminess I was experiencing. So I might start down around 25-26psi, and then check after each run.

Also, the first time I ran, I did not like the feel of the brake pads/rotors combination. I had new drilled and slotted rotors made (my mechanic has someone that makes them to order at a fraction of the cost), as well as changed out to better pads, and I don't get that sticky spongy feeling any longer whether on the track or especiallly on the street.

Other than that, have fun! (And be sure to include pictures on your next post-track posting) Photos below are from Buttonwillow Raceway about 2 or 3 months ago.

Attached Thumbnails Track days-group-b-esses-speed-shots-cp4_2059-jan3015-photo_by_brian.jpg   Track days-group-b-cotton-corners-cp4_1296-jan3015-photo_by_brian.jpg   Track days-group-b-offramp-sunrise-exit-cp4_0418-jan3015-photo_by_brian.jpg  
Old 04-14-2015, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts
Default track days vigil

I love club racing, however......
beware:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHTR...ature=youtu.be