XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Transmission Release

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 12:02 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Transmission Release

Hello all,

I am over from the XF threads since I recently purchased a salvage 2007 XK coupe. My problem is that the car does not start and currently does not have a battery in it. In order to get the car to roll the transmission must be released. I did this on my 13 XF by removing the trim cover and pulling up on the strap in the console. Since my XK was loaded onto a transport with a forklift it will have to be rolled off at my location so I wanted to reconfirm exactly the procedure for doing this. Is there a release lever on the 2007 as on the 2013 XF and if so, exactly where is it at?

Thanks,

Old 10-05-2016, 01:47 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Ken, I think you will need to put the battery in the car or at least hook a jumper battery to jumper points so you can move the leaver out of PARK. The following is an excerpt from the X150 Service Manual. Read the last sentence.

An interlock solenoid is located in the selector lever assembly. When energized, the solenoid
engages an interlock lever preventing the selector lever from being moved. When the
footbrake is applied, a signal from the brake switch de-energizes the solenoid allowing the
selector lever to be moved from the 'P' or 'N' position. This prevents the selector from being
moved to the 'D' or 'R' position unintentionally and the application of the brakes also prevents
the vehicle 'creeping' when the gear is engaged.

If electrical power to the selector lever is lost, the selector lever will be locked in the 'N' or 'P'
position by the shift interlock solenoid if moved from the 'D' position. The selector lever will
remain locked until electrical power to the selector lever is restored. There is no emergency
interlock solenoid release mechanism on the selector lever.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Here is a previous thread, it is regarding the 2010 but I would think it is the same for the 2007. Someone with experience for that version of the X150 will have to weigh in, for the thread below it is under the cupholders.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-start-165029/

Old 10-05-2016, 08:59 PM

Thanks for the info on the strap below the cup holder. I had read about that in one other place as well. I am just hoping that the gear shift lever style(2007-09) is the same as the shift knob. I believe they changed it out to the round knob in 2010. Nearly the same shift mechanism as the XF which has the mentioned pull strap below the trim.

I will find out tomorrow if it exists on the early XKs. If not, I will be having to use some dollies to bring it off the truck! I will post and let everyone know.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Unfortunately there isn't a strap on the earlier models so you will have to do what JackJohn said and hook up a battery. If you can't open the tailgate with the key there is a +ve terminal behind a rubber cover under the left hand wheel arch.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 732 Likes on 468 Posts

Who picks up an XK with a forklift? Understand it's a salvage but still?

Old 10-06-2016, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 of 19
It's typical here in our area on how the salvage yard moves cars around. In fact I was just over to one of the local places I go to to see if I can pick up another driveshaft for our volvo as a spare. Found a car in the yard and asked about the driveshaft. They told me if it ain't bend as they pick up all cars with their loader fork lift they would sell it to me. I looked under the car and sure enough when they picked it up they tore the rear transmission mount and bent the rear shaft near the diff. I guess it seems to be a normal process and they don't sell to many shafts. My question to the OP is does he plan to part out the car or does he know what the damage is under the car from it being picked up and moved around. Especially with an aluminum car I would expect to see some undercarriage damage that would be hard to repair.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:09 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 of 19

People like this. Bubbas.

Attached Thumbnails Transmission Release-hqdefault.jpg  
Old 10-08-2016, 09:06 AM

Well, turns out that I had to undo the drive shaft bolts from the differential to get the car rolling. We tried to hook a portable power booster up to the existing battery and did get some dashboard activity but could never get the trans to release. Not what the truck driver was expecting to have to do to unload the car but the job got done in the end.

I also inspected the undercarriage closely and could not see any damage done by the fork lift that loaded it. A few pictures of the project attached for those curious.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Ok, I'll start polishing at the rear, you start at the front.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member

Good looking parts car.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:05 AM

Turns out that I replaced the battery that was in it with a working one and the car fired right up and sounds great. Must have been a bad cell and even with the jump the car's electronics was not seeing the proper voltage it needed. All it needs now is a complete front end clip and two front frame extensions which could be pulled off of any complete car for transplant. The car was not hit hard enough that it caused any damage beyond the front crumple pieces. A fairly easy fix. So I am thinking this jag will live to see another day!

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Did you get a chance to look underneath to see if there is any damage from the forks at the salvage yard. Also is the front suspension untouched or does it require work to realign everything.

Old 10-09-2016, 03:28 PM

As a matter of fact I did inspect it and saw no obvious damage or bent metal anywhere. They must have been very gentle with the pickup and handling as I am sure coming up into it hard would have done some damage.

I don't believe that the car will have any problems aligning since everything looks straight and true. Given the barely deformed crumple pieces I am not anticipating any problems once the front lateral support bumper is installed. If there is then I will have it tweaked slightly. I realize that Jaguar does not permit frame straightening on aluminium frames as a general rule but an adjustment of this size won't hurt a bit. Most times minor adjustments can be made by a four wheel aligner that knows what he is doing.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:19 PM

Just wanted to update the crowd on my salvage adventures. I found a matching parts car for my project that will give me nearly all of the parts to complete. It was a burn out that affected mostly the rear end leaving the front end in decent enough shape to use. I will post some pixs of the heap for your viewing enjoyment. The burn out was a 2008 model with about 60K on it as the nice rear end was a 2007. Hate to see perfectly good parts go to waste!

Old 01-01-2017, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Good luck with your project, and keep us posted on your progress. Pictures are appreciated! You're off to a good start with that brand new spare wheel and tire - and now for the rest of the car...

Old 01-03-2017, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member

Very cool, you must have a lot of room to collect relics for your project. Definitely update the thread with pictures and progress, it is very interesting!

I guess the rebuild market is strong, when my totaled XK was sold by the insurance company a couple in Oklahoma bought it in auction. The Wife called me to ask if I had the extra key, manual, and to ask some general questions. They were rebuilding to keep it themselves. I didn't ask how much or follow progress but thought it was great that my previously cherry condition '12 XK found a home.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:49 AM

I enjoy playing with the salvage market cars. It is kind of fun to mix and match projects, kind of like solving a jig saw puzzle finding and selling parts to make a whole! Usually by buying two cars, if you take the time to part out the remaining parts that you don't need, you can damn near get a free donor car. This makes projects doable for almost a fourth of what you would pay for a comparable used vehicle.

You were very nice to offer up the extra key and info on your salvage to the new owner. Most would not take the time! And yes, the salvage market does have it's positives........... you can get a good deal on something that you are willing to put a little bit of sweat into. Certainly with the XK being an all aluminum frame and body it makes the selection criteria much tighter for picking a repairable project as rebending any part of an Aluminum frame back to position is not technically in the cards!

I will update as the project progresses!

Old 01-04-2017, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kenbowen
You were very nice to offer up the extra key and info on your salvage to the new owner.

I will update as the project progresses!
Well, they asked but I did not have anything other than a conversation to give them! The extra key was given to the body shop that forwarded the car to Copart (or whoever ended up auctioning the car). The manual I had already sold on Ebay. For some reason people are willing to pay $90 for a set with cover.

I look forward to the project progress.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:19 PM

So I wanted to update the XK projects that I have. I got busy with another XF 3.0

sport this spring and put the XK's on the back burner while I was looking for another one to complete the "make two cars out of three" scenario that I like. The most recent addition is another 2007 XK with only 33K miles on it and is in great shape with moderate front end damage. I have picked up nearly all of the extra bits I will need to get the work done so now it is time to begin.

I do have the 2008 burn out (88K) completely stripped out of almost anything usable. It was the first burn out I have ever stripped and to tell you the truth it may be the last as the amount of black carbon soot on everything is quite a job to deal with. I even removed the front frame extensions and shock mounts. I was very impressed with the rigidity and layering of the monocue and thought you might like to see whats inside of one of the frame rails. I have scads of parts if anyone needs an odd widget (minus the interior).

Quick Reply: Transmission Release