XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Tree Sap on Canvas Convertible Roof

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 04:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tree Sap on Canvas Convertible Roof

As mentioned in another thread here, I recently parked my 12-year-old convertible near some trees for a day or two and found it (and its black canvas roof) covered in a fine mist of tree sap.

The roof is beginning to show very slight signs of wear / fraying at the folds but is in generally good condition and - as far as I know - does not leak at all. Not knowing much of the history of the car (I've had it just 6 months, usually parked on my drive under a good breathable waterproof cover) as a purely precautionary measure I recently cleaned the black canvas roof using plain soapy water and a soft brush, then rinsing it thoroughly with plain tap water before applying a good spray of Nikwax TX-Direct. This seems to be working, as when I poured a jug of water over it the water seemed to bead and ran off satisfactorily.

I have raised a different thread here about cleaning the sap off the car's paintwork, but I am reluctant to do anything drastic to remove the tree sap from the canvas top. Will it do any harm if I just leave it? Will it actually enhance the water resistance of the roof? Or will the sap damage the soft-top if left untreated / not cleaned off? And if it needs to be cleaned off, what would be the best way please?

Please feel free to re-direct me to a dedicated thread in some other section of the forum if appropriate!

Old 05-24-2018, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

You need to remove the tree sap before it hardens like epoxy. The following applies to both the top and the bodywork.

Bug and Tar remover products are available at your local auto parts store or home improvement center. Read the label to confirm that it is suitable for use on fabric. If it is, test it first on a small area to make sure that it works to your satisfaction. Follow the directions on how to use it and be sure to rinse the top and bodywork thoroughly when done and re-wax if necessary.

You may also need a can of elbow grease.

Last edited by Stuart S; 05-24-2018 at 06:24 AM.